MLS final better format

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by whip, Sep 14, 2003.

1. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    This is really simple, Why don't MLS follow the format of our next door Mexican league which have a final on two games one home and one visitor and scores are add. it would be better for the fans and for the bottom line $$$$$

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    MLS has trouble selling tickets on short notice. So, you'll often see that even playoff games are often attended less than regular season matches.

If the league switches to the home and away format there would only be one week to sell tickets to the first game in the series and two weeks for the second game. That's not enough time yet.

Also, because a lot of teams don't own or control their stadium, it's nearly impossible to schedule games on short notice that late in the season. The Fire need permission from the local NFL Football team to use the stadium and we might not get it on short notice.

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Not that the MLS cup is remotely comparable, but I think the MLS honchos view the SuperBowl and Champions League finals as better benchmarks.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Hmmm. At first it seems kind of crazy. And then you think about it and it seems kinda like a pretty good idea. But I don't think it's a possibility until all MLS teams gets their own stadiums since the scheduling at a pointy-ball park that time of year can get dicey. Hockey, baseball and basketball all do the final as a series so it's not that far out of line. Of course it would piss off the people who don't think we should have any playoffs at all to actually expand them.

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    heh. ding 2pts for a correct answer.

6. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Got a point with the stadiums situation but it should be the goal of MLS, it have work for years with the MEXICAN league, about the sell of tickets if you have Columbus and Galaxy you could sale tickets for the final: one game in Columbus and one game in L.A.

7. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    I like the Super Bowl/Champions League one game final format. I think having a game at a predetermined site will do more for MLS than a game at two places with little time to plan. What if they need a stadium with an NFL tenant that happens to have a game on both weekends of the finals?

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Already this is a bad idea.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Plus, ABC needs to know ahead of time and would not be amenable to switching from Sunday to Saturday b/c the San Diego Chargers have a pointy-ball game.

(P.S.: the San Diego thing is just to get ppl riled up. Chill out, have a glass of wine. breathe... Have a birria taco and make swig it down w/ a chilled Gewurtztraminer [?])

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a few years if MLS is much healthier, this question could be of merit.
    As far as TV scheduling problems. Well if the venues are all MLS by then, a start time of, let's say 4PM regardless of time zone would prevent any problem there.
    All MLS controlled venues is a long ways away, though.

11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, please like the Chargers would get any ratings. They suck and they need to leave San Diego. Everyone hates them here.

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You just killed the mood of this thread.

13. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: MLS final better format

What is so bad about two games ? , they are doing it in Mexico and make enough cash to have Benhaker, perhaps we could have Gus Hiddihk, soccer is natural game and a two games final just make sense. Lack of brain activite is a great recipe for failure and we can't affort another soccer league failure we own this effort to our kids....How could it be if Landon would not have a league to play i could picture him on walmart driving a forklift and practicing on the back

14. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: MLS final better format

I don't think it's such a bad idea. However, it has zilch chance of happening due to the current stadium situation. This has nothing to do with brain acitivity and I doubt the MLS is going out of business because they don't adopt your idea. Why don't you check back with us when every MLS team has their own SSS, say in ten years or so?

15. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Re: Re: Re: MLS final better format

So let me get this straight, if we follow the lead of a one game final (FA Cup, Champions League, UEFA Cup, World Cup) we have a lack of brain activite (activity!). But if we follow a country that can't even have clean water to drink we are missing this brain activite?!?!?! Look around the world, one game finals are the norm.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Of course if you have a playoff it should be a two-match aggregate. Home-and-home. Each set of fans get to see their guys play for the title! What a novel idea! And you play it in the middle of the week, numbskulls. Prime time. Wednesday nights. That way you don't worry about the NFL or availability of stadiums. This doesn't take a PhD to figure out, gentlemen.

And I don't give a flying-**** what ABC or ESPN thinks about it. We pay them, remember? When they begin to pay us, then they can make a special request or two. If they don't like it, take it to Fox Sports World. We might even get to see the Cup ceremony for once.

17. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    we have home-and-home finals here in colombia....

and i think it is a great format, because every city can see their team playing in the finals, and support them in a great way (just like baseball).

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    they need your Opinion at the conmebol and suramerican boards, same topic.

19. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I have European beliefs when it comes to running a soccer league. I think a two leg final would not fit in the US under any circumstances.

20. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: MLS final better format

All those tournaments do not have a regular season leading up to it. The whole point of the regular season in most american sports is to provide home field advantage.

21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    OK, MLS obviously needs more teams for a good playoff system. But as long as we're at 10-12 teams, how about the winner of the Supporter's Shield gets the only bye, and the 6 next best teams go.

That means the SS has some meaning, a true advantage in the playoffs. It also means we can cut one more team out of the playoffs so it doesn't feel like everyone goes. It's an awkard situation, but so is MLS. And if we're adding one team next year an odd number in the playoffs isn't a big deal anyway. It'll mean an even number stay home. At least for one year.

Remember, MLS is quirky anyway.

And of course, a third place game on the same day as the final so we supporters can plan on going to the final a few weeks early because we'll know as soon as our respective teams make the quarter finals that they'll be playing at the location of the final, on the day of the final, even if they're not in the final.

22. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice idea. However you need a balanced schedule or the one team out is going to be complaining because KC got to play Dallas a few extra times then a team in the East and would it be a one and done match or two leg. Then would it be a two leg Sunday/Wednesday? Etc. etc. etc.

23. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Re: Re: Re: Re: MLS final better format

Coppa Italia, Copa do Brasil, Spanish Supercopa, and the Copa Libertadores all use 2 game finals, and the UEFA Cup did until recently.