MLS Fans who dosnt have a team to support

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by kwdawson, Dec 28, 2005.

1. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    Is there anyone on this board who is an MLS fan but lives no where near an MLS city? Living in Tampa Florida there is nothing not even USL. So its hard to root for one team when I cant attend games. Im even considering moving to a city with a team like Denver or Salt Lake with cheaper living instead of Chicago ,NY and DC. Im 20 so I dont have a family or a steady job yet. How do you get your MLS fix wihout attending games?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm right there with you, I'm in Orlando.
    As for MLS support, I decided to follow the new team RSL because, well they were new and I couldn't wait for Orlando to get a MLS team.

Of course now there is a USL team in Miami, but thats still fairly far for both of us.

Always remember: Get Direct Kick next season and attend as many Spring Training Games in Bradenton as possible.

And of course, you can always move... ;)

3. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    I am planning on going to some preseason. I was at a preseason game 2 years ago when Adu had his first game with DC United.

4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and who can't spell...

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    let them figure out voting first, then spelling. Baby steps... :D

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation :rolleyes:

kwdawson look for the MLS preseason schedules to come out soon.

I have to say that I too thought of moving mostly based on the fact that we don't have teams in Florida. But that didn't work out on many fronts, so I am sticking with it for now.
    Hopefully some day, we will get some MLS teams back here and we will be glad we stayed.

I have some friends in Tampa that are going to Miami FC games in the spring. Let me know if you are interested in going, perhaps you could carpool.

7. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I live in San Diego but I am from NY. I should suppor the Metros but the fact is I hate the team and the jersey I guess the closest to a team i support would be DC but in reality I just like watching pretty much any game.

I hope NY gets a new team some day, I hate the Metrostars.

8. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    I used to live in Ohio so I got a taste of going to Crew games but now I really miss it. I have never been to Miami so yeah I would be intersted.

9. eddy02

eddy02 New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Yea iam in the same boat I also live in tampa. RIP - Muntiny

10. FireFan4

FireFan4 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Edmond, OK
    me too...live in OK. Direct Kick and the internet are the best ways to go. I try to make it to a few games a year.

11. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in a non-MLS city, and instead of watching the league on TV, I quickly realized I can watch much better leagues on TV, and have never watched a single MLS game. I guess that wouldn't make me a fan, though.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it doesn't, but thanks for letting us know of your disdain.
    We all appreciate it.

13. Ambrecht311

Ambrecht311 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    San Diego

thanks for your useless post.

On topic, I live in San Diego and would love to support a team, I guess i feel somewhat of an allegiance towards L.A. But even then I still dont feel like a true fan. I would love San Diego to get an MLS team, but eh, we all know how that works.

14. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    I live in Orlando also but I became sort of a metros fan as they were the first MLS team I saw play live. I moved here from Houston and suddenly they have a team now (doh). was thinking of moving to a MLS city but not Houston. Wish the Mutiny was still around. Dang wish I was around for them

15. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can understand why you wouldn't want to be a Crew fan, but it would seem to make the most sense... ;)

I never got much chance to go to or even watch MLS games on TV when I was in school and college because I was too far from Chicago--but they have been my team since they started. The internet has been my savior--both for MLS and other soccer. Now that they show games streaming, it's even easier. As soon as I could I moved to the Chicago area and finally got in a full season of games. That would be my advice to you, if you can manage it. ;)

And as far as "better" soccer leagues go...the quality may be higher elsewhere, but the Fire are my team, and watching anything else, no matter how much "better" just isn't the same...

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first became a fan of MLS towards the end of the 98 season, and started really following it in 1999. I lived in Lincoln, NE at the time and had no ties to any MLS city. KC was the closest team to me, and the first MLS game I ever attended live was at Arrowhead in October of 1999. I was still a dilletant, though, and at any rate we were already planning on moving away from the area, so KC didn't manage to lay claim to my loyalties.

In the meantime, I liked Etcheverry a lot, and liked what I saw of DCU on TV. In 2000 I lived in Charleston SC, got season tix for the Battery, and followed the league more closely. I guess it was around then that I started becoming a DC fan, without even really noticing it. Then in 2001, I was up in DC scouting grad schools and took a break to go to my first game at RFK (vs. the Rapids, I remember). Not a great game, but the thrill of being there, and seeing the energy of the supporters groups across the field sort of sealed the deal.

A year later, I decided to go to the U of Maryland, and we ended up moving to the DC area. By which point, I was pretty much already a committed DC United fan, although my wife remains somewhat loyal to the Wizards (she's not hardcore by any means, so there really isn't much conflict).

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly on topic:

All those interested in learning about Florida's only pro soccer team check out www.soflastrikers.com/miamifc
    Home of the Miami FC Supporters

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Tropical Field needs a lot of TLC -- and plenty of work -- because it sure looks desolate and forlorn as it stands. Right now it looks sub-par and less than minor league.

You'd think a hurricane went through it. :eek:

19. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Live in Vegas, no MLS near us. There's a NPSL team here called the "Las Vegas Strikers" that starts their second season in April. There is a new "NASL" (National Alliance Soccer League) indoor team called the "Las Vegas Toros" that starts play next month.

20. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live nowhere near an MLS team - my city may be on a short-list, but they're likely a long way away.

So I basically just support the league, a few teams that I like a bit more than the rest, and one team above the rest that's within a 5 hour drive and I can make the effort to get to a couple times a season.

21. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I don't have a MLS team.......*crickets chirping*

Goldmember: "awe, he doesn't get it. He isn't wanted anymore."
    Dr. Evil: "awkward."

22. fargonole

fargonole New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    i live in fargo, nd. no where near any mls teams. chicago is probably the closest. so i watch players.

23. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    I go to Metro games but could care less about the team. Hoping NYC gets a team one day.

24. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i grew up in texas and hated the "dallas burn". worst team name in sports. i was excited about houston getting an mls team, but now i've just moved to washington dc. i don't know if i want to root for dc united though...

25. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm teamless

geographically, and emotionally :(

maybe Philly in the near future