MLS Fans Opinion: Best league in europe?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by RedBulls, Jul 23, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I'll go with the EPL, big $, and has had a rep in each of the last 3 Champions league finals

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like La Liga's flowing attacking play

3. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best as in best to watch? I'd say a tie between the spanish and german leagues.

4. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    the epl no question

5. FCDallasDynamo

FCDallasDynamo New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maui,Hi
    wow spain ahead of EPL......I mean even Italy is better than Spain......

6. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    very true

7. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Bollocks, La Liga and EPL are far ahead of Serie A. Do I really need to spell it out.

8. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The Italian domestic scene is falling apart. The rich clubs get richer as they negotiate their own TV contracts hence therefore dominate and prop up the League. When these bigger clubs are in trouble (Juve, AC, Lazio, etc), the whole of Italian football suffers. The corruption and hooliganism has snowballed and it's going to get worse for Serie A before it get's better. Serie A was top for the 90's however I'd rate it 4th now behind the Premiership, La Liga and die Bundesliga.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie A was the palce to be/see in the late 90's, but Spain is above them now, IMHO. The best league right now is the EPL, as it's European results i.e. teams that have done well, speaks for themselves.

10. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Serie A does seem to be in a downturn over the last decade (recent champions league result excluded of course :rolleyes:)

11. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Thats one of the stupidest comments I have ever seen on this board, and thats saying something. If you really don't think that La Liga is better than Serie A and EPL, which should be quite obvious by the way, than here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients#Ranking_for_2007-08_UEFA_competitions

Mind reading to me what is the top ranked country on that list?

12. msatlin

msatlin New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    I would say La Liga over the last 5 yrs or so. This year the EPL had 3 of the last 4 champions league spots, but Spain has also done that in '99 and actually had its 2 teams play in the finals. I would have to say England's #3/4 teams (Arsenal, Liverpool) are better than Spain's, but Spain has more overall depth (Valenica, Sevilla, Villareal, Depor, Atletico Madrid, Getafe, etc). I think this depth plays out in the UEFA Cup, where Spain has dominated over the last 5 yrs. It's this UEFA Cup domination that has led to it being ranked #1 by UEFA.

13. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    It's between the Premiership and La Liga, with Serie A having slipped a fairly distant 3rd in recent years.

I think the Premiership will start to pull away in the coming years though, with the amount of money pouring into it. Over half the teams in the league have recently been bought by millionaires or even billionaires willing to invest huge amounts of money into building the squad, with the likes of likes of Man City and West Ham, who last season were battling relegation, now able to outspend many of the top teams in Europe.

14. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I saw a list on tv of the richest European soccer leagues and the EPL was #1 followed by Germany I think. I'm not sure if Spain, or Italy came next though. If you're a player then you have to go where the money is.

15. Ollie & Friends

Ollie & Friends New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    EPL. French Ligue 1 would follow. Play is probably better in the other leagues, but for some reason I really enjoy the French league.

16. BerlinKopKid

BerlinKopKid New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Depends what you mean by "Best League"

Quality: It's a toss up between Premiership and La Liga (Spain more in depth)

Drama and Scandal: Serie A...by miles

Attendance/Value for Money/Excitement: The Bundesliga

Bundesliga has big drop off in quality of players but the highest attendance figures in the World, and the price of going to watch football is staggeringly low compared to England AND...they got these guys here in Berlin with beer tanks on their backs who bring you a frothey one to your seat!

17. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    haha yeah the epl is reining supreme like it should!:D

18. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Im surprised that Italy is as low as it is