MLS fans in South Bend/Mishawaka?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by El Pichichi, Oct 23, 2003.

1. El Pichichi

El Pichichi New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    DC
    I'm a Texan relocating to the South Bend/Mishawaka area very soon. (Southern South Bend to be exact).

WANTED: MLS fans in the area who will get a beer with me and watch some games and/or ride that South Shore Line to NSF for a Fire game.

Am willing to semi-adopt the Fire as a fan... though my heart will always belong to the Burn. :)

Hello? Anybody out there on that frozen Tundra?

Oh, and tips on how to survive the Lake Effect would be nice as well.

2. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Wrong answer.

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Uhhhhh...

4. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might seriously suggest a transplant.

5. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Buy a shovel. And a heavy coat.

In fact, buy two of both.

Also, sell your car in the winter.

6. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

7. I've said this before, but it's still an important thing to bring up I think.

Since, as we all know here in Chicago, all that comes from Texas are steers and queers, I have to ask if you, sir, are a cow?

(you know it's coming)
    Baby!

8. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know, I've been thinking. Maybe it's the fact that I am stuck rooting against the home town team, but let's cut this guy some slack. If you moved to Texas, would you stop being a Fire fan? If so, then you are dead to me, but that's beside the point. I know everyone is being humorous about it, but are there any fans from South Bend?

Sermon over.

9. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    I'm from LaPorte, which is about 40 minutes south of South Bend. well, i'm actually going to Purdue right now, so put on another hour or so to that, but in the summer, if you were getting a group of people together to watch a game or go to one, i'd definitly be in. i mean, i'll only be 20 this summer, so if you guys don't wanna buy alcohol for a minor, i can understand (although it definitly wouldn't be the first time i drank)

but about the snow thing, its not too bad. we have maybe 2 or 3 big snowfalls a winter, then usually an inch or two for the rest. i mean, that kind of weather usually lasts from late november to early april, but you'll get used to it.

and if you hang out with Fire fans for too long, i'm sure you'll become one of us.

10. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm from South Bend and there are a number of fans over here. Some get to go to some games (one of my buddies has been to 3 or 4 this year). I went to several games the first 2 years, but then my son's travel soccer started getting in the way and prevented me from attending.

But I have been a Fire fan from the beginning and have watched as many games as is possible.

I'll be heading to the playoff game on the 9th. I can't make it the 14th, but if I can get the game in St. Martin anywhere, I'll watch it. If not, I'll be watching the conf. final and MLS Cup on my TiVo after I get home.

So, yes, there are Fire fans in South Bend.

As for surviving the winter, dress properly is the best advice. If you have a good sized driveway, a snow blower is an absolute must. If you've never driven in the snow, the first time we get some snow / ice go to a local department store parking lot and practice. Get used to feeling what your car does in turns, braking, etc. learn not to overcorrect.

11. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    And, you know, there is also a lot of good local soccer in that area with all the PDL teams within a few hours.

Regarding the snow - you'll get lake effect beginning in October, if the conditions are right. It can pile up quickly. But, it will also be in 'bands' and showers - much like with rain. It won't always be the same amounts in all places....you'll go from 6 inches to 1/2 inch within a matter of a mile (or less). If you can drive on rain-slicked roads (the first rain of the season and the oil is on top), then you can drive in snow - in fact, I find snow to be much easier to drive in than rain! I can say this - I'm from Florida but have lived in Hammond, Columbus, OH, and now NYC. I've been in both. If you have any questions - send me an email......

12. El Pichichi

El Pichichi New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    DC
    flyin north for the winter

A big thanks to JeffGMC for stearing the masses back on task. I hope the Fire are as good as he is at staying focused - b/c I would like to see a team do the "treble" in this age of parity. (even though I have to cringe a little at it being the Fire). :)

I appreciate the advice from the others. And I'm hoping to find a group who will make the trip with me for a few games. I went to a game in Naperville back in July and was very impressed. It was a sellout vs. Metro and Razov hit the game winner in OT. Beautiful day too. It was fun to see a rocking, intimate environment - everything Hunt Sports Group hoped for the Burn at Dragon Stadium.

I'm also guessing that most sports bars in the area show mainly ND/NFL football? anyone know a dive that'll risk MLS games??

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

13. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    While I won't be in South Bend until August of next year (in france at the moment), I am more than willing to help you relocate your loyalites from the Burn to the Fire, and more than willing to go to some games with you.

Because I'm technically not of legal age (in america, anyway), I don't know any good bars that show games, but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find some. I'm from naperville and live at ND, so I'm sure I could help you out with some stuff.

As for the winter...stay inside until spring.

14. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: flyin north for the winter

You're not winning any friends here.... Renounce the Burn, Change your profile to the Fire immediatly, buy beer for everyone in Section 8 and then we can talk.