MLS Drops 'em and bends over for Chivas

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Oct 16, 2003.

1. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    On 9/13/03 @ the HDC, LA GaLAxy vs. Chicago Fire on Hispanic Heritage Night.
    It was also BobbleHead night: the featured bobblehead was Carlos Ruiz.
    The main competition for that event in LA was a PPV boxing match featuring East LA's favorite son Oscar de la Hoya.

Paid attendance: 22,000
    Not bad for a match featuring a team, who at the time, was sucking sludge.
    Not intending to refute your point, Bill. Just wondering if Hispanic Heritage Night was enacted in all ten MLS markets?

2. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Yes

3. Easport6

Easport6 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Stuff like this happens, and MLS will be the next to fold.

Major changes need to occur in just about every aspect of the league. Call in the Europeans and have them setup a league that can be succesful.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    this guy has all the prerequisites for being an all around pain in the ass. With his now [habit of shooting his mouth for the sake of getting attention, I am wondering if it is worth it.

With all the banter and controversy on whether/where things will happen, I wish MLS would come out and address the situation.

6. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last I heard was that some Serie A, Bundesliga, and higher level English teams are still having problems staying in the black. Just because your league shells out a billion dollar paycheck to players doesn't mean you're succesfull and going to stay in business.

7. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Indeed, the new court ruling on TV rights may well send at least several EPL teams into administration. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C26014286

8. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Apparently there is rumor of a Mount Vernon FC
    where only Amish players can join.

While the investors are serious there are some issues still left to sort out.

A new stadium, Pentecost Park is to be built but access roads are still a problem with the amount of parking space for buggies.

Finding qualified trainers who do not practice modern medicine is also an issue.

Team practices will be held when all the chores are done and players are only allowed to speak Deitch at practice. Their wages will not include Social Security taxes which has some MLS execs up in arms.

Night games are out of the question as an alternative to electrical floodlights has not been found.

Don Garber responded to these issues by saying "If they pay us they can break all the rules they want"

Mount Vernon FC Chairman, John Stoltzfus said at the press conference.. "If you're not down with Ordnung then don't show up!"

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=172032&cpid=218

Vergara has previously stated that only players of Hispanic decent will be eligible, and he reiterated that stance at the conference.

"We are inviting all Mexicans born in the United States, or the sons of Mexicans who were born in the US who speak Spanish because the majority of the team will be made up of Hispanics," Vergara said.

-------

Not Hispanic?

Can't play for Chivas.

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yep and he also wants to pay his players simular to what he pays them at Chivas. A minimum of 50,000 pesos, a car and a house or rougly 5,000 dollars a year, a car and a house. Good luck keeping the house with property taxes in San Diego.

Hell I was doing the conversion chart and I noticed I'm a multi-millioniare in Mexico. Can you see the headline:

Myshap, a Mexican Multi-Millionaire, has plans to buy Columbus Crew.........................season tickets.

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Just wondering...

Your name is Kroenke and you just bought yourself a new car from your friend Phil. And then you run into this guy Vergie from Mexico and he tells you that he got the same car as you did but they gave him the V-8, which they told you was unavailable, and not only that--he paid only 60% of what you paid.

Personally, I get the feeling that the MLS did the best thing they could by having Chivas cool their heels for a year before entering the league. Vergara seems to have a massive ego and the attention span of a hummingbird. I wonder if he can cool his jets for a year and half without finding some excuse to back out of the deal.

12. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    They get payed every Quincena (every fifteen days). Hell I may have to go try out for Chivas USA. I would be the best bench warmer I could be in order to get the minimum salary of $10,000 US dollars every month with no house payment or car payment.

13. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What's funny is that I've seen the Amish kids near Kenton playing on their own make-shift goals they've put out in the fields..

14. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Another reason to not look forward to Chivas USA;

[​IMG]

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Chivas USA have a Gringo Appreciation Night?

16. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's been made pretty clear that the Vergara translation is wrong - MLS didn't concede much to the man at all - Vergara was saying that the invite was to hispanics and EVERYONE who spoke Spanish, because they want the team to be composed mainly of Spanish speakers.

Anyone can learn a language, so that's not a very exclusionary element.

It's like all the Frenchie players on Arsenal. I'll bet they speak French to each other and the team can rightly be called a mainly French speaking team.

Big deal.

But I guess in Columbus, this plays out like one.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there are lots of baseball teams where a sizeable chunk of the roster is Hispanic and Spanish is common in the clubhouse. So what?

You can sniff about how this "plays out" in Columbus (whatever that sort of arrogant comment really means) but your analogy is way off the mark.

This is cultural Jingoism. Somehow, I suspect that if the shoe was on the other foot (or the language was on the other tongue) that your culturally sensitive little nose would be all bent out of shape about "Ugly Americans" who refuse to assimilate and recognize that they're not in America anymore.

Sorry, Mango. I understand that, to you, people in this area are nothing but a bunch of stump-toothed Appalachian lardasses, but, well, that's how things "play out" in LA, isn't it?

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That's funny since you the guy you quoted is from Pasadena.

19. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Well. Femfa's reading skills are sh1t. Maybe if it was in spanish he'd have been able to decipher locations.

20. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Counting the days...

A reason to look forward to Chivas USA:

[​IMG]

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Re: Counting the days...

She's better looking than any of the Crewzers.

22. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Why? Did they say that anyone who gets to go to a Chivas game gets to bang her or somethin?

23. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I referred to the "plays out" I meant the whole tone of this thread -(of which Wolves' was the latest, regardless of where he's from, which I did happen to know long before I posted here) which had a paranoid, resentful attitude along with a worst case scenario of doom/gloom that the league you supposedly support would not even enforce its own rules.

That hasn't been the case - if you bothered to look for accurate updates on the situation, you would already know that by now.

There have been various Chivas threads for some time, yet the negativity on this board is, IMHO, the worst. That's what prompted the comment on the locale, and anything you inferred from that was your own bias.

Archer is right that plenty of baseball clubs are now very Hispanic - that's probably all Chivas will be - the only thing different was they announced their INTENT to make it so. And why? To give their team a brand, a personality - to appeal to an audience. Fox recently had an article about how MLS was losing Hispanics because they didn't feel the league cared about their loyalty - just assumed that Hispanics would just watch soccer, period, anytime, anywhere. Well, that's not true of any audience. People watch for rivalries, personalities, style, and a backstory. Branding Chivas brings that.

And, Eggy, I'm not a he. If you've read a few of my other posts (or even if you bothered with not making assumptions out of your ass) your reading skills should have shushed that out.

24. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, it will be sponsored by Velvetta cheese and Ziploc bags.

J/K :)

25. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eggy, she's correct. Chicks-with-dicks like to be called women --- not men. Let's have a little sensitivity for our gender-bending neighbor.