MLS Drops 'em and bends over for Chivas

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by Bill Archer, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now who knew this would happen? Gee.

More SI's for you than for everybody else? Sure. Lower the price? You bet. No plans whatsoever to build a SSS? Hey, Qualcomm looks good to us, baby.

Somebody send Garber the industrial size KY jelly.

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=982

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    North Ridgeville, OH
    I think this is far from certain, despite what the goat guys say.

At least I hope so, as I can think of nothing that would damage the credibility of the league more in the eyes of their current fanbase than to allow a new team to operate under a different set of personel rules(well...a different set of written rules....err.... a different...well, you know what I mean). It would completely destroy any claim of legitimacy for this league.

I for one, would strongly consider giving the league a big f you if this turns about to be true.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Garber is being played like a marrionette by this guy...

And the kicker is that he wants Spanish as the team language.. Hell, imagine being the lone "gringo" being sent to Chivas to fill the quota.. Even if I had the talent to play in the MLS, I'd rather slam my nuts in a door than go through with it...

4. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome Chivas.... goodnight MLS... :(

5. Just wondering, but isn't this quite frankly against equal opportunity employment...so far as the hispanic thing?

I would write the ACLU about this if it is true

6. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling the ACLU wouldn't give a rat's ass about unemploying hispanics...

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    North Ridgeville, OH
    I don't believe so. Who'd bring the lawsuit? On who's behalf would a group like the ACLU take up the case? It would be pretty difficult to prove that you had the talent to make the Chivas squad if everyone else in the league didn't draft you. (course, given the fact that if they limit themselves to only hispanic players they're gonna suck complete ass, this point might be a little more valid)

You don't apply for a roster spot on sports teams.

8. the hispanic only thing is my point. Especially if they don't have that many senior internationals.

Regardless of if anyone inparticular brings a suit, I don't think you could legally justify hiring only latino players. That's racist hiring, it has nothing to do with winning soccer games and it has nothing to do i beleive, at least in the interpretation of american sports, with running a successful business.

9. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Not true. The ACLU doesn't care who they're representing, as long as they're defending someone's civil liberties. They've defended the free speech rights of nazis and klansmen, just as strongly as they've defended athiests, etc.

10. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Garber is seriously bending over for this guy. Damn, it seems as though Garber is willing to be on his knees as well. This blows.

That Mexican dude wants MLS to be a pro-mexican league. I believe the Mexicans should be a targeted audience, but this is taking it to a totally different level. This is a short cut to financial MLS freedom, but a demise to US soccer.

Im latino, and will fairly state that this move would only hurt US soccer.

Garber needs a freaking back bone.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys saw that MLS denied this and said that Chivas will have to play by the same rules as everyone else .... right?
    there are links on other boards.

now, if he'll actually follow through with this remains to be seen. but from what I've read it's been more the Chivas guy talkin' out of his butt rather than MLS needin' KY jelly.

12. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    The teams exsistance is a disgrace.

I honestly think that they will be such a failure that they will either fold or turn it into a normal team.

Either way I want to fight Don Garber.

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, what MLS is going to do is give them a large number of TI's and Mexican TI's. If you think about it they can have most of there roster the way they want it with those rules. There are something like 13 TI's this year MLS allows for 20, but they don't have to be evenly distributed amongst the teams.

What does that mean. I don't know the other situations with other TI's, but I know Walsh will turn into an SI next year unless he gets a GC or Nationalization. So that's 8 TI's they can have on the team and 6 "DPs", along with the 3 SIs they can have that makes 17 players on a 24 man roster that could be Mexican. Then add in GC holders, although you'll be hard pressed to find a Mexican with one of those, and Mexican-Americans, they can have a roster full of Mexicans/Mexican-Americans. OH and they won't have to hire a grounds crew...because the city of San Diego would take care of that with their stadium. Where would they find all those Mexicans under 25 you ask? It just so happens that Chivas has reserve squads full of them looking for playing time. Chivas USA would just be a new reserve squad to them.

Anyway it's still bad for MLS wheather or not they allow them to have more SIs or if they let them take advantage of the rules in place.

14. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I wish this was a all year around league like England. I'd like to see the bastards come to Ohio in Januarary.

PS I met some angry Ohions tonight at the bar. Good to see I'm not alone in Cowboy country.

15. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Perhaps we wait and see how this all pans out before blowing our tops? Lots or rumor, speculation, and contradictory bits of information going around.

16. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    It's fun to blow your top early. We've been doing it since ...April?

17. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's what we do. It's part of what makes us real Big Soccer posters! It's what Big Soccer is all about! We must worry! It's our nature as soccer fans! At least us American soccer fans. :)

18. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Garber wants some of this...

[​IMG]

19. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    The good news is, when it folds...and I think it will once they realize they aren't going to get the fans they think they are....MLS will be up $6-10million.

20. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Sounds to me like a great story to get some free publicity and position the deal so everyone thinks they won. This could build some real buzz in SD - for free...

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's going to backfire on Chivas MLS in the end - they're going to shut themselves out of most of the US talent pool. If they get special treatment, field a mostly-Mexican roster, and end up missing the playoffs (which seems likely), I'm just going to laugh at them...

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they've decided that San Diego isn't the right place for them - they want to be in LA !!!!

"We believe there's room in Los Angeles for two teams without a problem ''

Do they have pictures of Garber and Anschutz in bed with young boys or something?

Then there's this:

MLS already appears willing to relax one of its main rules -- the one that limits teams to three foreign players -- to accommodate Chivas, which has never signed a non-Mexican.

"The MLS has agreed to allow us to have more Mexican players, and we would also seek Mexican-Americans and other players of Latin origin,'' Sisniega said. "We want Spanish to be the main language on the team and we want to stay close to our Mexican roots.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/15/SPGC42BKP91.DTL

You know, the more I think about it, the better this sounds. Maybe MLS can expand on this idea and have an All Black team too. Maybe an all Polish team and an all Asian team.

Let's find as many ways to segregate society as we possibly can.

Particularly in sports, where already passionate fans can then start airiing racial and ethnic grudges at the top of their lungs.

This is possibly the worst plan imaginable, and MLS is beyond stupid if they go along with this. It will ruin the league. "Hey look, that team with all the Mexicans is in town this weekend" is not really what anybody should be looking forward to.

How can supposedly intelligent men be this blind?

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have know idea why, but I am gonna take MLS's word on this before some Mexican's until/if it happens.
    If they want a whole team full of transitional internationals in their low 20's that's fine. They can do that it's just easy points for the Crew next season.
    Fitzgerald came out last week and said this wasn't gonna happen. I think all the LA talk is bunk. I'm really not too concerned. maybe is cause I just don't trust Mexicans. But I think these guys are just talking out their ass in order tyo get something to the papers and hope that Garber and MLS bend over and do it since word is already out there. I just don't see them being that stupid though.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right.

I honestly see this as damaging to the league in about ten different ways. Maybe "disaster" would describe it best.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I completely agree. If this does happena s teh Chivas spokesmen describe it, then we would have a disater.

Maybe in the utter disapointment of this Crew season I just can't picture things getting any worse.