MLS Draft KC Wizards thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 2010 draft in Philly the Wizards have 5 picks, the 4th, 20th, 36th, 41st, 52nd.

I start this thread now because MLS has put out their combine list for seniors this year. And thanks to Buzz at 3rd Degree we have the preliminary list of potential GA players this year.

Some names that stand out on both lists.

Michael Thomas - ND - Another local KC area kid.
    Michael Stephens - UCLA - We were rumored to be interested in him last year as GA.
    Julien Edwards - Drake - Saw him play a lot, probably more interesting to TFC as he is Canadian.
    Ofori Sarkodie - Indiana
    Brian Perk - UCLA - U20 goalkeeper
    Danny Mwanga - OR ST - Haven't seen him play, but he's apparently been very impressive.
    Jack McInerney - US U17 - probably a project right now but I liked what I saw in the friendly against KC and at the WC.
    Luis Gil - U17 - Getting looks from multiple high profile teams in Europe.
    Ike Opara - Wake - Highly rated would be one of the top players taken.
    Corben Bone - Wake - Another highly rated player, midfielder
    Teal Bunbury - Akron - Son of former Wizard Alex Bunbury

Those are just a few of the names, there appears like there could be a lot of talent in the draft. Opara was thought to be the number on pick until Philly got Thomas and Califf, he could now fall to us. Bone would be a nice player to get, he could play wide or potentially help fill the big hole we have in attacking midfield. Bunbury if he comes out could also be available at the 4 spot and would be a nice boost to our attack.

Right now on this list I have a feeling we'd take either Bone or Stephens to help in the midfield, but that's a complete guess on my part.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am a skeptic, but are there any players in the draft who would be considered starters on any MLS team? I have noticed a serious lack of talent from the draft in the last few years.

Are we resigned to getting real talent from overseas?

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opara seems to be one of the most ready to contribute right away. I'm sure there are others that could probably get starts right away.

The past few years there has been some lack of talent, but last year was actually a pretty good year for the draft with Zakuani, Cronin, Frei, Gonzalez, Pontius, Besler, De La Garza, Alston, Barnes all contributed right away for their teams last year.

Also, the College Cup is this weekend so you'll be able to see the players from Akron, UNC, Wake, and Virginia on ESPN2/U on Friday and on Sunday.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Besler led me to my comment in the first place. I don't think he was ready and he shouldn't be starting. However, our replacements are thin and there's not much better out there.

Maybe it is more of a statement on how weak MLS is, I am not sure.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's more a statement of how weak the depth is in MLS. The running thought from some people I talk with is that MLS has the top tier of talent in the US. Due to the cap and salary structure, the USL/NASL have tier 2 and most of tier 3 while while MLS has the rest of tier 3 and tier 4 of talent.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know where else to put this...

Kyle Bak's facebook status: kansas city wizards here i come!!!!!!!

Looks like he's a senior at DIII Western New England College and has played for the Rhode Island Stingrays in the PDL.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing open tryouts.

9. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw Ives's note that "Nationally Ranked" Conor from the Star Kick commercial is on the list for the combine.

I'm still trying to decide if it would be more amusing to have "Nationally Ranked" Conor on your own team, or on the opposing team.

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    You have a right to be skeptical. The draft hasn't been a vast source for some time. Conversely, we humans do continue to learn past age 22. That last bit is what makes any draft of Seniors a very difficult thing.

In a way, it's a good thing as MLS has proven to be a better development tool than the NCAA today. The downside is no full reserves league.

Another aspect it that it's common for athletes to get better well after a normal age for college graduation. For what it's worth, I was a much smarter and stronger player even into my 30s than I ever thought about being at age 21 or 22. I'd think that would be true for many. Honestly, my only comparitive upside then was the ability to be ridiculously skinny while drinking heavily occasionlly...as one might do while in college. No can do now.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    How will this affect the draft?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunbury is a top 4 pick easily, may even go number 1. Duka is going to be taken by NY most likely at some point, some think with the second spot, some think later. Akpan has been on MLS GA radar for years, but goign to Harvard he decided it'd be smart to get that Ivy League degree. Gavin I don't know a lot about, McInerney is a bit of a project right now as he's still young. Loyd is another I don't know much about, Stahl people are high on, but he's also 24 already.

14. JROWE

JROWE Member

May 29, 2007
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who though Bunbury looked awful during the College Cup? I just thought he couldn't finish if his life depended on it in Sems and the Final. I thought Virginia's Villanueva was the most impressive player, at least over the course of the three games I saw. Even more impressive than Bone.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't look great, but he didn't look awful I don't think. He did well at holding the ball up and creating at least half chances when he was double teamed many times.

Villanueva did impress, but from everything else I've been reading those were his best performances of the season, he'd apparently been decent up to that point in the season but not as good as he showed in the cup.

16. pete99

pete99 New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Kansas
    I just read Robb's Twitter update (yeah, my last post had to do with his Twitter too.) It read:

RobbHeineman

happy holidays everybody. we signed two new internationals this week - holding mid and center back. attacking players to follow...take care

Anywho, if Bone is a holding mid, will that affect how we take our first pick? I checked other threads to see if it mentioned what Robb talked about on his tweet but couldn't find anything.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bone is a little more attacking minded I think. He played as a wide player with Wake at times too. The rest of Robb's tweet is being discussed in the offseason thread.

18. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about that Tchani from Virginia? Tall (6'2") playmaker?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually Johnson was at UCF (Central Florida).

Restrepo (UVA) was at USF last year before transferring.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my reading comprehension was off.

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is our current backup GK if Hartman goes down? Do we need to draft one?

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either Eric Kronberg or Boris Pardo, and not really, given our other holes..

24. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about Boris, but Eric would need to be re-signed since he's out of contract...

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Mwenga just signed with MLS fyi, that should make your guys's day knowing your signing one of Bunbury, Opara, Bone, Mwanga, or Tchani.