MLS Draft 2004 prospect

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by tmas, Jan 1, 2004.

1. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Anybody now where Josh Gros will be drafted?

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, most of us know exactly where he'll be drafted.

But we're not going to tell you.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I will take my chances, Metrostars

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Why do think he will even be drafted? Only about 50% of the players at the combine get drafted, he's not exactly a household name and he played on a relatively weak college team to boot. What would catch an MLS coach's eye? Educate us.

5. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    He's no Jerry White!

6. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    A simple "no" would suffice.

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: MLS Draft 2004 prospect

I don't think you have to be a household name and play in a great conference to get noticed by coaches. Most of these coaches have a great informal network of friends and contacts that they can hear about players. I think Bob Bradley is a great example of picking up player that no one has heard of and then the contribute to the team. One such player that comes to mind is Jim Curtin. Bruce Arena was another person that was good and picking out talent.

8. freedomfry

freedomfry New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    post tourney anxiety

Get a grip Terpfan. The poster can ask what he wants.

9. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Who is this Josh Gros and where does he play?

10. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
  11. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no hard feelings tmas, but that's really funny. it's important not to have your feelings at the forefront when reading what terp fan has to say. i'm sure he always means well though, and you have to appreciate his honesty.
    i agree w/ ButlerBob in that a player certainly doesn't need to come from a great team or a great "soccer conference" to be drafted. and it's not as if Rutgers program is a slouch. i live in a smaller midwestern city with two college programs (one is DI, one is DII). the DI school had a player invited to the combine, they didn't have the best of seasons, and i wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted, he's a good player.
    that said, i don't know much about Gros, but i wish him the best of luck.

GO HOOSIERS!

12. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://gopurpleaces.com/article.asp?articleid=51349

sorry, here's the info on the player i mentioned (i'm bothered when a post refers to some "great" player who they won't name). troy perkins, a GK from the university of evansville who transferred from south florida. he had a solid season for an improving purple aces team. it may not be long before coach dave golan has the aces returning to their late 80s-early 90s form. as one of only four GKs invited, i feel he has a great chance to make MLS for next season.