MLS Direct Kick Local Blackouts?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by DCU, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey all,

I have dishnetwork and paid for MLS direct kick. I'm getting blacked out of games that should be included in the package. For instance, today's DC-LA game is available on Fox Sports West (which I don't have/pay for), so it's blacked out of MLS Direct Kick and I can't watch the game that I paid to see. If a game is available on a local premium channel, I get blacked out. This strikes me as total b.s. I paid for the package. I should be able to see the games. Basically, I'm being asked to pay twice.

Is anyone else having this problem? And is there anything we can do about it? I don't remember ever having this problem in the past.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the InDemand page on Direct Kick:

I assume the Dish network page has similar language.

3. Indy footballer

Indy footballer New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm blacked out of Chicago/Seattle. Odd since I live four hours away from Chicago, not exactly what I call "local".

4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't buy DK this season as yet, but I am considering buying the MLSsoccer.com stream since I bought the Ipad2 recently.

5. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the same for MLB, NHL, and the NBA packages. It's not exactly a shock.

In previous years, not all the games were televised. With the MLS mandate that all games must be televised regionally somewhere, there are going to be games that are blacked out.

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a San Diegan and am in the same situation as you. Fortunately for me, I DO get FSW so I can watch the Galaxy/DCU game on that channel instead of on Direct Kick.

My problem comes when Chivas games (and I think Galaxy games later in the year) are on Fox Sports Prime Ticket. Not only can I not get that channel, but it's not even offered anywhere on my cable system, Time-Warner. So I'm blacked out of a channel I have no possibility of being able to receive, which I find frustrating.

That's when I go to the internet to try to pirate a feed, though a Chivas game isn't always worth it to me.

7. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've never had a problem with being blacked out on local games. About 90 miles from Toyota Park, and the Fire games have been on DK for me so far.

8. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    This strikes me as totally outrageous. It's as if MLS wants us to watch games on illegal internet feeds.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS wants you to watch games on Fox Sports West, a channel widely available in your area.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have DirecTV and always get the Earthquakes games. I am in the Sacramento TV market, which is about 110 miles from San Jose.

11. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Odd. I envy you.

I understand that logic for Galaxy fans, but only to a certain extent. Because if I were a Gals fan and season ticket holder, I wouldn't be interested in paying $15 extra per month for 7 months so that I could watch the 4 away games that will only be broadcast on FSW. That's a pathetic value.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    you're paying (or not, as the case may be) to see it (or not) on FSW (since that's the market you're in).

it's based on where you live. if you have access to FSW but "don't have/pay for" it, them's the breaks.

subscribers are paying for FSW as a regional sports channel that shows multiple local/regional teams beyond MLS/soccer. so the "value" in that channel is not solely tied to just the Galaxy games that they broadcast.

anyway, for this example you could very likely head out to a local restaurant or bar that may have the LA at DC game showing on FSW on one of their sets. (such are the trials and tribulations at times of a soccer fan living in the US.)

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSW shows a lot of other things besides the Galaxy, and is available, along with Prime Ticket, on all but the most basic channel packages.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    exactly. it's an economic decision (at times) that some people make regarding what level of pay tv service to which they opt to subscribe.

15. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is your local Regional Sports Network a "premium channel"? I assume that ususally comes with any basic package on a satellite provider, which means you'd be getting live games on FSW/PT in the first place.

16. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Eric, don't know what to tell you. FSW is a premium channel on DISH. As is Telefutura.

tab5g, understood. But I was presuming that FSW's logic is: if we let MLS carry FSW games on Direct Kick where FSW is available, Galaxy fans won't have an incentive to pay for FSW. I'm saying that they don't have much of an incentive in the first place (4 games a year for $15 a month).

You seem to be saying that people have other incentives to subscribe to FSW. I don't. But if that's the case, what's the harm in allowing MLS to carry FSW games on Direct Kick in LA? Either way, FSW's policy doesn't make sense.

But yes, as a DC fan in LA...I'm getting screwed out of a few games by the circumstances.

17. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing really to envy. He's got his local RSN which is the source for Quakes games. You're blacked out because you don't have your local RSN in the clear, which is highly unusual.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're in the LA metro area, right? Telefutura is an over-the-air channel (Ch. 46, KFTR) that, by law IIRC, should be available with the rest of the broadcast stations.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    absolutely. "Galaxy fans" don't have much of an incentive to pay for FSW. some people still do. some (like you) don't. (I also don't subscribe to my regional/local Sports network, and I know what that limits me to, and how that affects possible blackouts of a "season pass" package that I do pay for.)

you "presumed" incorrectly. FSW's logic is the same logic of all other regional sports channels around the country. they have standard operating procedures with many leagues and many "season pass" packages. this is not a situation that is "unique" to MLS/LAG or FSW.

added a useful clarifying statement

no one is screwing you out of anything.

you're opting not to subscribe to something.

(I don't mean to sound harsh or rude about this, but you're individual case/needs aren't at the top of mind for those who are making business decisions about televising soccer (and sports in general, and league "season pass" packages) in this country. but you do have an option, and yes it would cost you some money, to see this game in your home today. or you could get out of the house today and catch the LA away game {against "your" team} at a bar since you don't pay to have access to some telecast at home.)

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that this poster subscribes to the "Dish America" package, the lowest-tier service that offers 60 channels but no local broadcast or sports channels. The local sports channels are available under the "Top 120 Plus" package and all tiers above that. At non-promotional prices, Top 120 Plus costs $15/month more than Dish America. So the value of the extra $15/month is not just 4 Galaxy road games, but 60 more national channels plus everything on FSW and PT.

21. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    What can I say? It's not. Telefutura is premium, as is FSW. FSC is only available in Dish's most expensive package.

I noticed that DirectTV includes FSW in their basic package. Lesson learned, I guess.

22. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    My point was simply that this policy does not make sense for LAG/MLS/FSW. Is that so hard to grasp?

I have Am's120. No FSW, no telefutura. Since Dish just jacked the price up on my package by $5 a month (6 months into the supposed 2 year contract), I'm not eager to shell out more $. Next time, Direct TV.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The local affiliate, KFTR 46, is in the local channels package for Dish in the Los Angeles area, unless you don't subscribe to that. Enter your address on this page to see the channels you should be getting.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/local/default.aspx

Also you could hook up an antenna to get KFTR for free.

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Dish's website, 120 Plus is only $5/month more than 120. I think the only difference is the sports channels.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/programming/default.aspx

25. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, this is true. I could hook up an antenna to get Telefutura. Do you work for these companies or something? Good grief.

The original point of this thread was to find out what was up. Mission accomplished.