MLS CUP WINNER

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by hot potato, Aug 3, 2016.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS CUP FRONT-RUNNERS: heading into the playoff crunch time, here is my list of a potential winner

1. LA GALAXY- the best goal differential in MLS, 4 star players in keane, zardes, van damme, and de jong
    and a solid list of second level players and a very talented coach in bruce arena

2. MONTREAL- a list of star players in ciman, drogba, piatti, bernardello, and donadel and solid performers to fill out the roster

3. TORONTO- a solid group of star players led by MVP giovinco, bradley, cheyrou, altidore and a good
    defence and a growing depth in MF

4. DALLAS- just a very solid, well-organized team led by diaz and maybe the returning castillo; a terrific
    coach, oscar pareja, a rival for bruce arena

5. PORTLAND- the dark horse team- AGAIN- led by adi, valeri, nagbe and melano and the new acquisition,
    stephen taylor, to fill in for the injured borchers

MY PICK- LA GALAXY

MY HOPE- MONTREAL OR TFC

2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And this is a completely new thread why????

MY HOPE: @hot potato, does not start a new thread just because some idea has popped into his/her potato.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    rather than coming across as an arrogant immature bully, why not tell me where there is another forum on the same topic? afterall, you seem to the the know it all; and why not take the risk and tell me what your top 5 picks for MLS Cup are? its a current topic heading into the playoff crunch time in MLS

its time to put your big boy pants on and provide some informative, mature and thoughtful ideas OF YOUR OWN, rather than firing from the hip with nothing concrete to offer

from the spud

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #4 Boloni86, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    I'm going to list 4 teams from each conference ... the 4 teams that I think will play the Conference semis.

1) LOS ANGELES - If there's one thing I've learned in my 20 years of MLS fandom is to never bet against Bruce and this is probably the best team he's ever had. I don't think there's ever been an MLS team assembled with more World Cup and UEFA CL experience.

2) DALLAS - the most complete team IMO. Based on overall team quality they could win, but it's a youngish team and you wonder if that lack of experience trips them up in the playoffs. They're also playing a ton of games with a deep US Open Cup run and Champions League.

3) TORONTO - they're finishing the season with a ton of home games with Jozy just getting healthy and in form. Expect them to be top seed in the East. Their much improved defense makes them a legit contender.

4) COLORADO - defense can win championships. Not sure anyone predicted that defensive success with Moor and Irwin departing. Their offensive chemistry is not in the same ballpark with the other favorites above them, but as long as they keep games tight, they have a knack for finding a goal somewhere.

5) SALT LAKE - Reminds me of Dallas ... no superstars, but strong at most positions. You can't really key in on one guy to shut down ... just like Dallas they attack fluidly through various players. The only thing keeping them from being higher on the list is a little vulnerability on defense

6) RED BULL - Don't sleep on last year's Supporter Shield winner. They're not as consistent as last year, but they have most of the same ingredients to replicate that form. I see them locking down that #2 seed in the East which gives them a decent shot at making Conference semis and from there anything is possible. I certainly think they have the best coach in the East.

7) MONTREAL - This team at its best could be much higher on this list but they have a couple of big defensive liabilities in Camara and Cabrera which worry me. Also who knows if Drogba can play or not ... sometimes it feels like a coin flip with this team.

8) PHILADELPHIA - A little young and raw in defense, but they have a lot of weapons to put the ball in the net. Can Bedoya be the x factor that pushes this team to the next level? On paper they certainly have the tools ... my biggest worry is whether Curtin has the tactical experience to navigate the playoffs.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know ONE team that isn't going to win MLS, we will be lucky not to finish DEAD last again.

Andell FIRE.

I'm going with Toronto FC to win this year.

6. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though the playoffs are an illogical, outdated method of determining a championship, I am going to pick Toronto FC to win MLS Cup 2016. Their stars are all healthy as the stretch run approaches and Giovinco is simply unstoppable. The LA Galaxy will win the west but fail to contain Giovinco as the Reds lift the Cup at BMO Field in December.

7. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha! No, we're bad, and other teams figured it out. Against a poor schedule the last three months we've been below average. The midfield is in shambles and we have only one CB that really can be relied on going forward, but he's young. A team that can maintain possession should handle RSL in the first round. (Presuming we make the playoffs of course, which will probably happen but it's not a sure thing given the tough remaining schedule.)

TL;DR: RSL shouldn't be feared by any serious contender.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if TFC can stay healthy and get all their injured starters back and in-form- johnson, cheyrou, beitashour, morrow, irwin, and keep bradley and altidore healthy, then this is the most likely team to prevent the galaxy from lifting the cup

it would be a great MLS final- TFC vs LA Galaxy