MLS Cup Viewing Parties

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MouseyTongue, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me if I missed it, but I haven't seen any plans yet for a viewing party. Is Phoenix Landing the assumption? Is anyone outside the city considering anything? Anything out here in the western hinterlands? Inquiring minds want to know.

FWIW I hope that we can have on large gathering with lots of noise and color (last year at the Midwest would not meet that standard if you ask me). I'm willing to travel to get to something like that if it happens.

2. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Cup Viewing Plans

I can think of somewhere to travel to get to a big viewing party. ;)

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since I'm kinda busy trying to help with other things, does anyone want to take this one on?

Anyone on the volunteer board that's not going?

4. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

I will talk to Phoenix Landing Wednesday and make sure they are showing it...I know they had it on last year and my roomate went and said there was maybe 6 people watching it there. That is pathetic...anyone staying behind should coordinate and watch this one there. Much more space than Midwest Grill, more of a menu to choos from and $4.50 gets you an actual pint of beer and not half a glass of Bud or Bud Light.

Adam is not going and I know he can get there, Ian if you dont mind the drive, I suggest this.

5. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup Viewing Parties in Boston

So naturally, I did it again - I got the go-ahead to hold a viewing party here on campus on Sunday. Big projection screen in the student center, right next to all the food court fast-food joints (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, D'Angelo's, Wendy's). I'm inviting any and all who can't make the trip down to Dallas to come and watch it with me and however many other people I get.

Start Time: 3:00 p.m.
    End Time: 6:00 p.m., when we move the rowdiness outside :D
    Directions:

Your best bet is to park at a T stop and take the subway in. You can get here on either the GREEN or ORANGE lines.

For the GREEN line, get on an E branch train and follow it to Northeastern University stop. Cross Huntington Avenue in the direction of the grassy area behind the low brick wall that says, "Krentzman Quadrangle". Walk past the white brick buildings on the pathway on the right. Go down the flight of stairs and continue on the brick walkway until you see a maroon canopy that says "Curry Student Center" on it. Go in, and walk to the right. You should be able to see the screen when you do.

For the ORANGE line, get off at Ruggles station and once you're on the main station platform, walk towards the exit on the left, it should say "Forsyth St." or "Northeastern University." Outside the station, walk straight up the street until you see a brick and pavement walkway on your right. Take that right. Follow that pathway to the library which will be right in front of you after about 300 yards. Go through the open-air overhang of the library towards the glass windows of Curry Student Center, which you should be able to see past the overhang. Bear left after the overhang, walk through the cobblestone circular quad, and on your right should be the maroon canopy that says "Curry Student Center". Go in, and walk to the right. You should be able to see the screen when you do.

Notes: No alcohol at this party. Afterward, well, I'm sure we'll think of something. Bring your own food. If I get a large enough turnout, I'll order pizzas or something, but for the meantime, BYOF. Come wearing the colors so it's easy to see who's with us.

Any questions, either ask them of me here, in PM, or by email: sell.a@neu.edu.

Adam

6. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    Re: MLS Cup Viewing Parties in Boston

If you are not going to NU to watch it, go watch it at Phoenix Landing in Cambridge (512 Mass Ave...Central Square stop on the Red Line)

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Cup Viewing Parties in Boston

Merged threads.

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except that Adam is now setting up a showing at NU. I didn't know anyone was at Phenix Landing last year so I went to the Midwest since that was the only viewing I heard about. I'm not thrilled about the alcohol-free showing at NU, but I do like the big screen idea and I think that we non-long-distance travelers should try to make one big event if possible. I'd certainly travel to Boston for a crowd.

BTW, could a mod merge these two threads?

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    On sunday, Peabrain mentioned something about a bar in Quincy that wants to show it and host away game viewings in the future...

10. DREWWW

DREWWW Member

Jan 24, 2006
    H2Otown, Masachewsez
    Damn it...I'll either be in my hotel room in FL or on a plane to FL...this bites

11. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No alcohol at the event itself. Celebratory drinks afterward, once we get outside the building, are fine, I would think. Well, public consumption laws blah blah blah. We could always relocate from the big screens to the bars afterward or something.

I'm trying to make this as big a deal as I can, I'm throwing out invites to anybody who wants to make the trip. I can give driving directions to the lots on campus, but they are not free, so I would continue to recommend using the T.

12. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm willing to believe that alcohol-induced anesthesia won't be necessary this Sunday (see, the optimism vitamins are working!) and go for the NU big screens with celebration following in a proper pub.

IIRC there were about 15-20 of us crammed into the small area of the Midwest last year, that plus 6 at Phoenix Landing is still a somewhat small group to add to the NU viewing. How many showed up at NU last year? Is it possible to gather over 50 fans to watch together? You wouldn't think it should be all that hard to do.

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last year we had about 20-25 people staying for the entire game, with a decent transient crowd of people who were just getting lunch but stuck around to see what happened when they found out it was on.

Of course, last year I didn't publicize it much at all. This year, I'm gonna go berserk doing just that. As soon as I get back from a meeting with a professor, I'm gonna run off a flyer, go get like 50 copies made, and plaster them throughout campus. I've plugged it in several places on Facebook (think myspace only organized and meant for college students), so that should help, and I'm pimping it here more than I did last year as well. I think realistically, 50 people start to finish, more curious folks.

14. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's the realistic limit for the space? I'd love to be in a packed house for this.

Of course if it gets too full and some of us have to find a bar to watch it in, I would be willing to make that sacrifice. :D

15. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NEU's a big school - we could fit 300+ people in the space if we wanted to. I'm putting this, by design, in a big open area in the student union so that we get a high curiosity factor.

16. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI

Doesn't look like Dallas is gonna be an option for me... thinking of joining in on your viewing party Adam, probably bringing a friend or 2 (or however many I can drag along with me).

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As many as you want - I'm about to walk out the door to start papering the campus.

I only ask that sometime Friday or Saturday, anybody who's planning on going just let me know somehow that they are so I can get a rough estimate of how many people.

18. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are we scrapping the Landing viewing party? I would much prefer a bar. If all else fails I'll just go to a bar here in Jamaica Plain.

19. brduvel

brduvel New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The Republik
    I think that I am still planning on the PL, I too would rather be at a bar for the game. That, and it's a quick walk from my appartment :D

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talked to Vaughns in Hartford, they are showing the game. Anyone in CT/Springfield care to get together?

21. FuzzyMiss

FuzzyMiss New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Somerville, MA, USA
    I'll be on my couch with beer and chips and dip in Brighton if there are folks around, I cannot be arsed to leave the house...lazy I know...:rolleyes:

22. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    There are still going to be people at PL to watch this...also at 11am Liverpool v Arsenal is on so if you wanted to get up for that and stick around for 2 hours to watch the final you could. I know of a few people who will be there to watch it and I am going there today after work and will verify they will show it. They showed it last year and there was a tiny crowd...you can drink there by the way

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of you that want to drink, I'd definitely recommend the PL.

Hell, start giving them calls and let them know that you're coming down and make sure they'll put the game on (with volume).

24. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Hmm, looks like I'll be all alone....GRAPE JUICE IS ON ME!!!!!!!!

25. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. PL it is then. See you there.