MLS Cup viewing in NYC?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Nov 16, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Any plans for a MLS Cup viewing party in NYC? Or does everyone here only care about the Metros and that's it?

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    MTBFTR!

Devils 5 Rags 0

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx for the reminder.... :rolleyes:

4. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they still can't sell out.

5. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Sorry we dont a have one of the biggest transportation hubs in the country to help us out. Not to meantion about 1/2M people working within a 10 block radius.

6. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then how do you explain the Giants and Jets. By my calculations, their per game would sell out 30 Devils games, each.

7. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    comparing a sport with 8 home games a year to one with 40 + is dodgy at best .

8. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very comparable try the logic. I'm talking about total attendance. 76k don't have to show up for every game. 76k times 8 equals 608,000. divide that into 20k...I'm rounding on both and that equals 30 games.

If you want to expand and say that the Jets and Giants fans split. You have 1,200,000 and that equals 60 games.

The Yankees have horrible transportation and are in a marginal neighborhood at best, and they are drawing 3mil plus. Which is an average of 36k or so....

OR are you saying the Meadowlands is lousy place to play. Maybe both teams, the Devils and Nets need to move?????

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do, to Newark. Maybe one of these days.

10. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Uhmmm YEAH.. try to keep up I know its hard, but arent you a MetroFan? Its the same crap.

You still cant compare Giants, Jets, and or even Yankees.

Giants and Jets dont have to combat the evening rush hour to get to games. Even with the parking lot completely filled people dont arrive all at once.

Yankees have pretty good transportation actually so I dont know what you are talking about. They have a couple of subway trains going there which run often and have a couple of bus lines. Not to mention they also are located in a neighbohood and not in the middle of a highway surrounded by swamps making it easier for people to find ways to get there and also neighborhood people to go. The only people that have problems getting there is the out of towners.

Itll be VERY hard to convince people to go ANYWHERE for ANYTHING everynight having to deal with traffic and getting home at 12 am. You simply cant have anything going in a place like that. Thats why people only make it out to important games and pick their battles.

11. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

MetroAndAGuinessPlz New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    Re: Re: MLS Cup viewing in NYC?

People really don't make it out to important games either. The Devs had a hard time selling out the cup finals last year and i'm pretty sure not one playoff game sold out at the Swamp other than the finals. I know they're your team but the Rangers are miles ahead of the Devils as far as fan base goes. Take solace in the fact that the Devils actually win games and contend for a championship on occasion.

12. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    Um I have no idea why you think the yankees have awful transportation.You can get to yankee stadium via 4/B/D(although D skips durning rush hour sometimes).You can also take the ferry or bx4 express bus or even the metro north to melrose and walk(limited service).The swamp is a awful location because it is a pain to park at when it's full and to get out of when it's full.Also people from the city dont like having to make the trip out on the bus which can get tied up in heavy traffic on bad days...When the metro's move to harrison the transportation sitution gets better.Although i really wish they could move in with the jets in the future west side stadium...
    -howie

13. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: MLS Cup viewing in NYC?

Thats wrong they DO sell out playoffs games and Finals. The only time they didnt was back in the 90's.

And again I know that the Rangers have more fans because 1) they've been around for 3x the time as the Devils 2) they also are easier to go watch as stated above 3)They are in the middle of the biggest freaking city in the USA with buildings that house thousands of companies within blocks. Which means all those places will buy tickets even tho they are NOT fans. Thats why all the "REAL" fans are up in the nose bleeds.

What company is going to buy and giveaway tickets to Devils gaves? They are supposed to be used as a way to show a client a good time, and having that client jump through hoops to go see a team at the swamp is going to piss him off more than do good.

You cant really use the Devils attendance as a argument really because we all know that if the Rangers were playing in the swamp they will be going through the same things.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Re: Re: Re: Re: MLS Cup viewing in NYC?

That's exactly right, you ever see some of the Knick "sell outs" of past years? Half empty stadium, with the upstairs packed and the seats mostly sold to corporation seats below quite sparse.

15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The issue of attendance is covered in today's Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/137458p-122231c.html

Here are some interesting notes:

1. The Nets hiked prices last season and their average ticket cost is $54.36, according to the Team Marketing Report, a sports marketing company. That ranked third behind only the Lakers and Knicks.

2. High ticket prices (party due to a $63.8 million payroll, the eighth-highest in the league), an ailing economy and the potential sale of the team have not helped.

3. Mark Cuban improved attendance by an average of nearly 2,000 fans by tripling his sales force, turning a Mavericks game into an event and offering affordable ticket packages.

The cheapest LOWER tier ticket for a Nets game is $70. In '95 a $50 ticket would get you a lower tier seat underneath the hoop in the 6th row. Now, $50 gets you seat in the boondocks.

Like Mark Cuban says in the article, you have to make it affordable and make it a fun atmostphere. Obviously, neither one applies to the Nets or Devils.

16. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how much is a pint of Guinness?

17. NYM Retros

NYM Retros Red Card

Nov 17, 2003
    Long Island
    usually about 5 dollars :)