MLS Cup tickets - tons unsold

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by webster2003, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The tickets prices are not unreasonable. I just spent $45. x 2 for tickets to the Guarneri String Quartet at the Metropolitan Museum of Art this Sat. eve. (I have to tape the SJ-KC Final, but I owe the wife -- and it's all Beethoven, and he's da man.)

Concert tickets for any kind of music are always high compared with movie tickets -- and movies are high, as least in NYC. I only go to MLS matches, so I don't know about other sports, but I figure NFL prices are out of sight, same with NBA, and when it comes to championship matches, forget about it.

I don't think the prices will discourage sales; not having Galaxy in the Final has got to hurt, though.

2. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Feh.

When MLS cup was at the Rose Bowl in 98 and it was Chicago/DC the place was plenty full....not having the local club didn't seem to have any kind of negative impact.

While it might seem comforting to think that "If my team doesn't make it to the cup, nobody will come", the plain truth is folks will come for the match, whomever it is.

There is no "center of the universe" team in MLS, although some supporters certainly seem to feel their's is. The cup will go on nicely without all 8 clubs that don't make it, no matter who is there.

I have my plane and game tickets and will be there cheering the Fire, even if they don't make it. I would think there are enough folks like that around (esp. in LA area) that the game will be well attended no matter what.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    thanks, didnt realise it was on MLSnet.

(hmm..strange how the largest crowd exceeds total capacity..)

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not really. It's quite common. Standing Room Only tickets are not part of the capacity.

Additionally, at Crew Stadium the South End seats start a good 20 feet off the ground. In front of them is a large concrete pad perfect for concert stages and the like - all the better not to have them erected on the field. For the grand opening game temporary bleachers were erected on the pad and many of the tickets were given to the stadium construction crews and their families.

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes much more sense.