MLS Cup: Pre-Game Tactical Analysis and Assumptions

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JoeW, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd like this thread to be for assumptions/theories/best guesses as to how each team will approach this game tactically. This is not about game predictions (ie: who wins) or for people to dump on either of these teams by calling this the Boredom Bowl. This thread is for analysis about what tactics either team is likely to go with for this game.

I'll start off with a couple of initial thoughts:

1. I think NE will start out with much more high pressure than we've seen from them in previous MLS Cups. I don't expect them to sit back and absorb pressure. Instead, I think they'll try and play like it was a home match. That means there will likely be space in the back behind the NE backline. I think NE is going to try and force errors (especially by the Houston backline). Furthermore, I think NE has a healthy respect for the ability of DeRo and Holden to score on blasts even if you have numbers back. As a result, until they get a goal, I look for NE to defend by attacking. Nicol may still get an attack of the "it's a Cup final so we need to defend with numbers" disease but I think not in this case. He's got his full team, no suspensions, they're healthy and I think they'll resort to a lot of high pressure rather than absorbing attacks.

2. While normally you'd think that Houston would have a decided edge on the outside mid play (gimme a break: Holden or Mullan vs. Khano Smith or the rookie Wells Thompson), I think NE's strategy here is that by attacking down the flanks, it puts the Houston outside mids further down the field (b/c they get pulled into defensive duty) and thus really stimies Houston's attacking scheme of using the flanks to provide service. Furthermore, I think the best chance that Twellman has of getting a score in this match (other than off a rebound or counter) will come off of his ability to get separation on runs off the ball. So attacks down the flank (with defenders focused there) allow Twellman to get a few feet away from Robinson or another defender and give him a chance (if the service is there--and with Smith and Thompson it may not be).

3. Not sure what Nicol will do about DeRo. Does he have Laurentowicz primarily focus on him or is it Joseph? Joseph focused more on Blanco in the Eastern Finals but that was blanco (and DeRo has blown hot and cold this year). If it were me, I'd put JL on DeRo and dare Mulrooney and the outside mids to provide the necessary service with SJ gobbling up big chunks of the turf.

4. NE's zone marking on corners and restarts close in probably has Houston happy. Given their ability to score from distance, I think a man-marking approach for corners makes a lot more sense, especially given the potential height that Houston can put out there (Jaqua, Robinson--even without Ching). So I see Houston looking for ways to especially exploit this on corners.

5. Not sure how Houston will handle Ching missing. They've had to do this alot, I just haven't seen much of them when Ching was out.

6. If I were Houston, despite NE's strategy of attacking down the wings, I'd look to do that as well. Partially b/c I'd want to pull Parkhurst over to one side of the field (and the rest of the NE backline is very ordinary once you get past Parkhurst--so you want him out of the middle of the field). The second thing that I think Houston should look to do is to try and play more directly. Couple of reasons why this is so:
    --it bypasses the middle of the field. As good as the central mids are for Houston, Joseph is key for NE. The fewer chances he gets to influence play with his touches or tackles, the better for Houston.
    --if you can play both strikers up top (rather than one withdrawn)...there's only one Parkhurst.

7. Last of all, the referee that this match needed was Marrufo. Say what you will about him and his non-calls, the ONLY call I think he made that influenced a match was the handball call on the Gomez goal. Otherwise, it was about his non-calls. And these are two teams that will definitely play physical soccer. Not dirty (though occassionally Franchino and Robinson cross the line very violently, Heaps too for that matter). But these are both teams that don't hesitate to use their bodies off the ball, fight for every ball and pressure (rather than fall back and absorb). Jaqua and Ching (if he were to play) are physical players. Ditto for Twellman. The backlines for both teams (other than Parkhurst) are among the more physical in MLS. I'm really afraid that we're going to have a game decided by a foul call or an ejection in this match.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre-Game Tactical Analysis and Assumptions

I bet Kinnear pushes Mullan up and risks that one dangerous Khano Smith cross per game. Freeman and Pause really bottled Smith up in the playoffs, and Cochrane and Robinson are physical enough to nuetralize NE's forwards if that one cross does occur.

3. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I really hope Kinnear doesn't switch to a 3-5-2 like he did last year. It clogged the center of the field and really eliminated Houston's ability to attack out wide, which is exactly how to beat New England. Perhaps Kinnear felt that the loss of Clark forced him to bolster the center midfield. Hopefully Mulrooney will inspire more influence than Serioux.

4. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally. I mentioned this on the New England post-game thread: Smith was a total black hole of productivity. Chicago couldn't capitalize on it, but I like the match-up for Houston with Mullan's workrate.

However, with the way they played last week, I think Joseph and Larentowicz can handle anybody in the midfield.

I think Ralston will be the key to this game. If he can link up with Twellman and Noonan, I like the Revs' chances. As JoeW mentioned, I expect the Revs to be more assertive than they have the past two years.

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

OK I will start with the assumption that there is no Brian Ching, leaving Jaqua and Ngwenya up top.

I feel fairly certain the starting lineup will be:

Ngwenya - Jaqua
    -----deRo-------
    Davis-------Mullan
    ----Mulrooney------
    Barrett - Cochrane - ERob -- Waibel
    --------Onstad-----------

If Kinnear wants to get "crazy" he starts Mullan at RB and moves Holden to right mid. Waibel offers substantially less of the bench (not much difference between say him and Ianni on the bench) leaving Ashe and Wondolowski as the two "offensive" subs. So I just don't see this creative lineup working unless Ching is good to go off the bench.

With regards to the 3-5-2, I don't see Kinnear doing it again, honestly even though Houston will once again be without Clark as it's possession game is very good without adding a fifth midfielder. They didn't have Mulrooney last year, they had Adrian Serioux and Kelly Gray and I think that is a big difference in terms of calmness and possesion. In other words, NE pressure against Kelly Gray and/or Adrian Serious would be much more effective than it will be against the likes of Richard Mulrooney.

If they went to a 3-5-2, you obviously do what they did last year (move Barrett up to left mid, have Davis more centrally, and leave Waiblel, Cochrane and Robinson as the three man backline or your bring on Stuart Holden or Corey Ashe into MF. I don't think Ashe will come on as he wasn't even used against KC and very sparingly against Dallas. Holden is another story. If they start him, they hurt their bench as Waibel doesn't offer much off the bench. That being said, Dominic Kinnear plays the Best XI he thinks will win the game and gives a shit, honestly, about the "bench". So if he thinks the 3-5-2 is the way to go, then he will do it. I just don't see him doing it honestly. Plus Ralston was a right mid last year and Dempsey was also on the team so I don't see Houston using what worked last year.

Houston's primary tactics will be the same bread and butter that they have been the entire season. Each game Kinnear makes subtle adjustments in his team/tactics. For instance against Dallas on the return leg, he pushed Dwayne DeRosario high up on the left in an attempt to pin Bobby Rhine back more as Rhine isn't great defensively and is dangerous pushing forward. Then he had Davis playing more of a deep playmaker role. It worked fairly well. So these are the subtle changes he will make in an attempt to expose his opponents.

So what do we expect from NE will dictate in part, the subtle changes Kinnear will make. Obviously NE plays the 3-5-2 most all of the time with Joseph and JL deep, Ralston in the a-mid role, Wells Thompson and Khano on the wings, Twellman and Noonan up top. Parkhurst, Heaps and Avery John in the back. NE plays Parkhurst more as a sweaper with Heaps more on the right and Avery John more on the left. I think you take Nate Jaqua and push him high on the right against Avery John or high to left against Heaps. I think he is a better matchup on the right against John there than on the left against Heaps physically. Plus the rest of the attack (Joseph and DeRo) will be much more effective against the slower Heaps than the faster John. But you obviously move him out left against Heaps every so often to keep NE honest. Jaqua is our backup right mid anyway so he is more than adequate at crossing from out there. You will have Mullan making tight runs to his outside down the sidelines...and Joseph and DeRo who will get the majority of the flick ons more centrally. If Houston wants to get really creative (and I think this is an interesting option) they may start Stuart HOlden on the right instead of Brian Mullan. Personally I think this is a horrible decision honestly as Mullan helps Waibel immensely and Mullan has the experience, but if Jaqua is pushed up right, Holden could roll more freely on the outside left and centrally and be more effective I think attacking than Mullan would be. I don't think we will see it, but it is an interesting option.

Houston will look to score on set pieces as always - Jaqua, Robinson, Cochrane, Waibel, and Ngwneya are all dangerous on set pieces. Davis and Mulrooney sent in dangerous corner after dangerous corner against KC, and Davis scored a great goal against Dallas from about 30 yards out. If the ball gets cleared poorly you have DeRosario and Mullan set up for sending the ball back in and/or shots from distance. They are very dangerous on set pieces, obviously and scored one of their goals against NE on a set piece this year.

I think defensively the key for Houston will be shutting down Ralston. I think Ching's solid defense will be missed with Joseph's deep runs. Ngwenya and Jaqua just aren't as good defensively so Joseph may honestly "get loose" and have a good night offensively. Smith v. Waibel speed wise isn't good for Houston, but Waibel has veteran savy, so that helps. Davis traditionally plays deep center left as opposed to pushed up high so I don't think that will change much and hopefully he will provide plenty of cover against Ralston and/or Noonan on overlapping runs.

Ching's injury hurts, but it isn't the end of the world for Houston. Obviously having Ching off the bench would help immensely for depth (or bringing Nate/Joseph off the bench). But Houston will still have Stuart Holden and Corey Ashe off the bench. Ianni defensively. It would be nice if Dalglish was the next forward off the bench, but with his injury issues my guess is it will be Wondolowski very very late.

Should be fun and I don't think it will be a defensive struggle either.

6. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll disagree with the person saying NE should go down the wings. I think this game is going to be NE down the middle with Joseph and Ralston, and Houston down the wings with Mullan.

I think NE will be much more on the attack this year. It is going to be a very interesting game.

I'll of course be rooting with Houston for the former San Jose Earthquake players.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we know what Kinnear will do. It will be standard Houston ball: Pressure immediately. Win the ball and attack as directly as possible. Constantly put the opponent under pressure both defensely and offensively. If you have to build, attack from width.

I expect Ngwenya to play in place of Ching. Other than that -- exactly what you saw against KC.

Regarding NE, and I don't consider this critical of Nicol, I find it hard to believe Nicol will change his stripes. I expect to see NE defending first and attacking when they can. Nicol has played every final this way -- and all three games in this cup run. I'd love to hear reasons from others on why they think he will change.

Having said that, he obviously wants to get in the same way Houston does. Counter quickly, or attack from width with Smith and Thompson.

Both goals last year came from the Smith/Mullan duel on the flank. Watch that matchup closely ..... As far as Thompson goes .... well, Barrett is on patrol on the Houston left. Can't really expect Thompson to do more than anyone else has which is very little.

I see a similar game to last year. First goal will be huge. If Houston scores first then NE will have to come out. The result will either be a scrappy equalizer or a two-goal lead for Houston. Should NE score first -- that might be all that happens.

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

That would be me. I totally agree that Houston counts on their outside players to provide a tremendous amount of service. I also think that Nicol recognizes he can't defend in depth--not with Houston's ability to score from the outside.

Purely from a defensive perspective, NE wants Mullan and Davis/Holden to start as far back in the field as possible. And the ONLY way to insure that happens is to force them to defend. So I think NE will seek to attack down the flanks in part as an antidote to minimize Houston's strength. Here's an example of this at work that so many people never picked up on (including Eric Wynalda): in the 2006 Eastern Conference final (DCU vs. NE), in the second half, Nicol brought on Khano Smith to play outside mid. Why? B/c Freddy Adu was killing NE at that point as they pulled back to defend. And Nicol (intelligently) recognized that the best way for him to defend against Adu was to attack. By putting a fast, tall player who would go forward, it would exploit Adu's weakspots or force Nowak to shift Adu and take out either Gomez (DCU's best player in 2006) or Moreno (who has having an outstanding game) or force Nowak to sub out Adu. And Smith had EXACTLY that effect--he quickly generated offense, a bunch of chances (service and shots) b/c Adu couldn't defend against him. So Adu had to come out (and then shortly after this, Gomez cramped up). I"m not arguing Smith does the same thing against Mullan, only that Nicol has already shown that one way he handles an outside player who's hurting him is to attack against the player and try to push him further down the field. The Czechs did the same thing against us in the WC (recognizing that we wanted Convey, Lewis, DMB and Cherundolo to provide lots of service to us, they attacked down the flanks and challenged these guys sooner so they were making crosses from outside the box rather than the end line). In summary, I don't think NE expects to win by going outside or expects their outside mids to match Houston's outside play. I think Nicol hopes to neutralize Houston's outside advantage by making their guys work more on defense and start further back down the field (so they deliver fewer crosses into the box).

I agree that NE has strong play in the middle. But the nature of a 352 is to clog the middle. Particularly since for all of Mulrooney's strengths, I don't see ranging from sideline to sideline like Clark, Joseph or even Carroll are capable of. He'll stay mostly in the middle of the park. And Houston's central defenders won't be bashful either--they'll both push up. As a result, I see a very congested middle of the park.

Relevant to this, b/c of the baseball reconfiguration, the groundskeepers at RFK had laid out a field that wasn't quite accurate. Del'Apa writes about this in his ESPN piece. Although some of the errors have been improved, the Revs are convinced that offside calls are off on oneside of the field b/c of the alignment issues so this is another reason you can expect NE to try and push the ball down the flanks and for Houston to try and bypass the midfield congestion and play more directly at times.

Why do I think NE will play more aggressively this match? Several reasons:
    --this is the first of their MLS Cup finals in which they've had their entire side healthy (well, to the extent Noonan is ever really healthy)
    --they've played so many games in RFK that to a certain extent it will feel a bit like a homefield advantage for them. Not so much as the Del'apa article makes it sound b/c since their last game here, FIFA permanent goals have been installed and the field has been resod. But between the number of games played here (including the 2004 and 2006 ECF's) and the fans that Kraft is busing down, I think they'll feel comfortable here (more so than they would at PHP).
    --perhaps some degree of intelligence on Nicol's part. Houston, better than any team in MLS, kills off a game superbly. If they go up a goal in the first half, the game is over. It's not b/c of Houston's defense (which is very good of course). It's b/c they take a 45 minute second half and through touching restarts, taking long restarts, subs, infringing on foul setups and just generally killing time in addition to their usually good defense, they're incredibly at holding a lead. Plus, with DeRo and Holden in particular, Nicol has got to realize that this is a team that can kill you from distance if you sit back. Plus I think Nicol has concluded the best way to handle the Houston outside play is to try and make them defend. Put that all together and it says that NE will come out with lots of high pressure (rather than putting 10 men behind the ball while Twellman chases balls and looks to force an error).

Last of all, while I don't see this as a defensive battle (at least in the first half), I see it as a very ugly match. Houston typically uses lots of high pressure to force errors and defends well as a team. NE likes to play high pressure at home. The combination of both teams pressuring balls plus a congested midfield will mean a lot of 50-50 balls, little time on the ball and little space (except behind the defenders).

9. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Nicol hinted in a lot of his pregame comments that he was going to attack.

He had the British mentality that you go very defensive in cup finals. But this year, in the US Open Cup final, he let the Revs do what they do best: attack. They were sending guys forward with a 3-1 lead. So, here's hoping Nicol learned his lesson.

Because you also know the supporters are going to go bat shit if the game goes to OT.

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

Against Dallas's defense, one of the worst in the league. This is Houston, this will be different. Or rather, more of the same as we've seen in previous years.

Assumption: 0-0 after 90 minutes. Ching's absence makes it even more likely. New England's weak playoff scoring record makes it still more likely.

11. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

I don't disagree that it could be 0-0. But the assumption some folks are making is that NE will play very conservatively. While I don't think they'll play a 1-2-7, I do think that unlike past cups, they'll attack aggressively. This means:
    --lots of high pressure
    --doing more than asking Twellman to chase long aimless balls
    --seeking to attack down the flanks
    Plus, for all of those who argue Nicol's philosophy is to defend in the final, these are all tactics (high pressure, attacking down the flanks, pushing numbers forward) that actually help the Revs defense in this instance.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm fully in agreement. I've hated the bunker ball that we've played almost all of the 3 finals, and really don't want to see it again, I just have a feeling that this team, this staff is finally saying enough, let's go out there, be aggressive and earn it.

If Khano can be any bit dangerous, we've got a shot to win this one. But the wings have to do something offensively. Both aren't great at getting back defensively but have shown improvement this year.

13. sne1

sne1 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
  14. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Joseph-De Rosario match up the key to MLS Cup?

Anyone who thinks the Revs will attack "aggresively" didn't watch last year's MLS Cup or this year's play-offs.

15. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Re: Joseph-De Rosario match up the key to MLS Cup?

I'll tell you what--I would not be surprised if it's 0-0 at half-time and each team only has 1-2 shots on goal. But that wouldn't be b/c of defensive, conservative play. Both teams pressure the ball. Unless that leads to a mistake and an easy goal (which it could), I instead think it will lead to a disjointed match without a lot of flow or beautiful soccer. That's not to complain about either team, that's just the reality of what happens when you put 2 good teams on the field who both use high pressure and deny the other team space/time. And I can see the fans of whichever loses this match saying "we didn't play very well, very disjointed match, yada, yada" when it reality that would be more of a function of errors forced by the other team.

You can sit back and keep numbers behind the ball and be reluctant to push people forward (exposing space). And that would pretty much be a description of NE in their first 3 finals. So what's different about this one?
    --NE is healthy
    --Houston is a very different opponent from the other teams they faced.
    --the best way to defend against Houston is to attack down the wings (so Mullan and Holden/Davis find it harder to contribute offensively).

We'll see how it plays out come game time. But I think it's a bit silly to assume that just b/c Houston or NE played a particular way in the previous game that they won't make adjustments. B/c both of these coaches have shown a willingness to adapt tactically and they've done it their entire careers in MLS. Doesn't mean they'll junk what they do best or drop their leading scorer to start say....Dante Washington in a playoff match. But both of these coaches are astute tactically, their teams are smart veteran teams who b/c they've been together so long are good at making adjustments on the fly. And I think both teams have plans for how they want to expose the other team. And hanging back, committing numbers on defense and waiting for a counter doesn't seem like a fit in this case.

16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the referee board, the finals crew will be Prus/Fereday/Wienckowski/Hall. I think Prus is a good choice for the matchup.