MLS Cup Post Game Thread (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Nov 12, 2006.

1. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just for that, we should sell him to the black cats. that will finish his career

2. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    yeah he probably also had the "don't do anything that might hurt your chances in Europe" mindset

3. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Yep it was a long two hour drive back to college.........i just cannot believe the Revs lost that game, it still doesn't seem possible, 3 times in 5 years? This team is turning into the Red Sox of the MLS. :(

I feel horrible for Jay Heaps, he is one of my favorite players, he always wears his heart on his sleeve and I just feel sorry for him. If i was in the team hotel in Houston (and old enough) I would pick up his tab for him.

They had a great run, i'm proud for the team, i know we are probably losing a core group of guys, but there is still a lot left, Khano, Avery, Dorman, Parkhurst, Reis. They will be back for more.

I dont feel like ordering the season tickets i was going to order today needless to say :eek:

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I hate to admit it , as I'm a big fan of his since his days in the Longmeadow HS, but I had that feeling too, he's not gonna make it. The golie moving side to side all of the sudden didn't help Jay either.

5. soccerscrub

soccerscrub Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very eloquently and truthfully stated. My thoughts exactly. Congrats, Revs fans, on a strong and stellar season.

6. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state
    i just want to say that reis is the james bond of soccer. he is the coolest of the cool, smacking his gum like he's got nothing better to do. you just expect any minute for him to slip off his goalie gloves, take a sip of a shaken martini and jetpack off the field. it was for his team that i was rooting, even though i'm a red bull fan born in houston! it was a tough loss, but it was well fought. as with my own team, i can't wait to see what happens in the spring....:)

7. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    [​IMG]

think they got this at the team hotel............

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm drained.

When TnT scored, I yelled so loud that my neighbor called to ask if there was something wrong.

I love Jay Heaps, I really do. Hard worker, one of the most underrated players in the league, IMO... but he lost Ching, and his PK was abysmal.

To me, there's Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and then this as the two most memorable "stomach punch" games of all time.

To recap our MLS Cup Final appearances...

2002 - We lose after a deflected cross hits the crossbar in OT.

2005 - We lose after a guy giving up a goal in OT to a guy who had problems keeping his shots in the same area code.

2006 - We lose in PKs after their deflected cross falls right on to the forehead of Brian bleepin' Ching.

Ugh. I can't even form coherent thoughts.

9. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

i am so sick of RevsRule.

10. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

amen brother.

11. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys this was not Steve Nicol's fault. We should have won the game period. Once we scored, just like everyone else I thought the game was over. However a mental breakdown occured and Houston tied it up. We were the better team today but unfortunately lost. I can feel very proud of these guys today because of their performance, whereas I didn't have those same feelings in the last two cup finals. We played hard and created numerous chances. If we can keep most of this core together and add a Figo or possibly even Zidane to this club, we're going to make another run at it next season.

12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    people, wtf are you talking about "dempsey wussing out." do you SERIOUSLY want a guy with half an ankle taking a PK? if he took it and missed, everyone would be piling on him for being "arrogant" or "selfish" for wanting to take the pk. so STFU

13. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Everyone should want a PK. It's up to the coach to decide the best 5, but I would have hoped that all 11 would be eager to take one. I just think of Brandi Chastain in the 99 world cup - she wanted the 5th shot, and when the coach told her she could only have it if she used her left foot, she said OK. She didn't care how tired she was, she didn't care that she had to use her weak foot; she knew she could handle the pressure and she wanted it. No matter how tired you are, no matter how hurt you feel, if you're well enough to be one of the 11 guys on the field at the final whistle, you should have the ability and confidence to score from 12 yards out.

I think Dempsey probably shouldn't have been in the top 5, given his ankle injury. But, he needs to be ready and willing to take one, and confident enough to want it. If you want to be a champion, you need that mentality.

14. Houston_Dynamo_06

Houston_Dynamo_06 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Houston
    Guys, i know y'all must be feeling pretty bad.

Yall played strong and I thought yall had us there at the end. Congrats on reaching the championship and I hope yall win one in the next few years.:)

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Great game Rev's - that's a helluva team you have there...could not have been much closer.

cheers!

16. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back to Houston after the game. Before I go to sleep for about 15 hours, just wanted to say that it was a great effort by the Revs and their fans. I don't think I've experienced a game that has gone from an extreme low to an extreme high (or vice versa) in such a short period of time. Great team you have up there. Hope all that made the trip have a safe journey home.

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I say, PKs were looming when the sub was made and a taker was needed. Larentowicz, straight up, as you say, was a defensive sub. Def. mid for Def. mid. with only minutes to go. Re-read my post. I said he didn't bunker. And I didn't blame the coach for the freak goal. I pointed out that freak goals happen and all the defenders in the world don't matter. He needed someone to take the PKs.

You know, I don't mind getting bashed for being negative, I am. But at least read what I wrote.

18. Kung Fu Hamster

Kung Fu Hamster New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Philadelphia
    On the bright side, the only other team to lose three Cups (LA) went on to win it in their next attempt, and vs. the Revolution at that (2002)--is it a sign?

19. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    It wasn't that good. Probably on par with the EPL for excitement. Nothing like the Spanish or French leagues for skill though.

20. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    Youse did good yourselves. Congrats.

21. KatR

KatR New Member

May 10, 2004
    Boxborough, MA
    Sorry everyone... this loss is actually MY fault. I NEVER say that I expect any of my favorite teams to win... it's a curse, and I live with that curse every day. However, someone actually tricked me into saying that I really thought the Revs would take home the cup this year. I'm sorry... :(

A friend of mine called right after the Twellman score, and I just finished saying "but can we hold the lead" when... well... you know what happened...

Also want to give props to the Revs fans that were out there. Could hear you loud and clear on the tv. Excellent job!

22. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really bumming for you guys right now. I've been a Twellman fan since he entered the league and I really wanted him to finally celebrate a championship yesterday. It was heartbreaking seeing how you guys went out. I knew that Heaps wasn't going to make his shot, just knew it. In situations like this, there's always going to be a lot of monday morning quarterbacking. I can tell you that no one feels worse about that miss than Heaps. He's going to carry that sucker with him the rest of his life. And he shouldn't have been put in that situation. Let's not discount that Noonan completely botched his shot which is why Heaps was in the position he was in.

I'm really hoping you guys don't turn into the Bills of MLS. My first inclinition was to make fun of your team. But seeing as how the Crew haven't won dick since the league's inception (SS and Open Cup, notwithstanding), I don't really have any place to do so. Here's hoping you guys come back strong next season and close this puppy out. And if you don't, then I hope you lost it at the hands of the Crew.

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, as they saying goes, "You win as a team and you lose as a team." The team had a great season, left their hearts and legs on the field and did us proud with their effort and class. The game was well and fairly played. My hat's off to the Revs for their season and honest approach to the game.

24. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon...let's look on the bright side...
    A fresh supply of "Eastern Conference Champions" t-shirts in the Pro Shop!!

(I am going to kill myself)

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all played a great game and I thought were the better team. Some of your combination play, speed with one-touch passing had Houston completely befuddled. In fact, you even made Houston change their formation. You were enjoyable to watch.

I feel especially bad for Taylor Twellman. Nobody for the Revoluation played harder all game long than that guy. His goal was fantastic and he stepped up big in PKs. Hope he's around next year.