MLS Cup Post Game Thread (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Nov 12, 2006.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Yea, I have to agree here - that sub suprised me, and I think surprised Dorman based on the look on his face(unless that was injury face).

2 Cup Finals, 2 strange substitutions that seemed to take each player by surprise (last year Noonan, this year Dorman)

Regardless, the subs are not what killed us.

Twellman's goal was simply outstanding.

2. jfurf

jfurf New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Providence, RI, USA
    a real gut-punch kind of a loss...

at least we know khano is for real. the boy brought it today!

3. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Even though we lost, do you think that this drama will at least make the front page? "Has the Curse been Reversed? Or Simply Passed On?..." don-don donnn

If they're relating soccer to baseball, it's gotta be closer to the front page

4. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts

If your a Sox fan, how sweet was 2004 ? .... Ill never ever for the rest of my life experience anything like that... unless of course I live to be like 108 and the Revs finally win there first cup sometime during that year ;)

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    It really was a close game - stats wise:

Revs 14 total shots, Dynamo 14
    Revs 6 shots on goal, Dynamo 4
    Revs 3 total saves, Dynamo 5
    Revs 20 fouls, Dynamo 24
    Revs 1 offsides, Dynamo 5
    Revs 10 corner kicks, Dynamo 10

6. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Not possible, The revs were losing championships before the Sox won it. They were losing championships before the Pats were winning also (same year actually) so... there is no curse, just bad luck.

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Just so long as we become the Sox and not the Cubs.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That's parity on data, but on the field, the Revs had the upper hand .Twellman missed two goal opportunities that should have dictated the result earlier on.

9. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Who did Khano nutmeg, by the way? Random question, but it was a beautiful pass.

10. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Effing Dookies!

11. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

As Galaxy fans, we feel your pain. PKs - - what a random way to finish. :(

Anyway, who would you like to trade for K-Smith? :D

Topper

:D

12. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Though the loss was a dagger to the heart, I'll most definitely enjoy watching the replay of Twellman's large celebrating face and Khano's *olay* over and over again until we finally get that trophy with our name on it...

13. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    SN:

bs, he made a huge mistake

Dempsey's ankle? is he joking? so Dempsey could come on in the 60 somethin minute but you can't let him take a pk?

strange

14. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously!!

15. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    This was the worst because the Revs deserved to win. Although not by a wide margin, they were the better team today. I think we can compete again next year, but it's sad that the team will probably not be the same

The first two Cups I felt disappointed with how the team played and approached the match. This year I thought they mostly got it right, and should have won

16. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    My guess:

They both balked, and he's covering for his guys.

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking back at MLS Cup 2002, Winston Griffiths should have won it for us then to break our duck. Hitting the crossbar was sign #1 that we're cursed.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan I want to congratulate the Revs and their fans on their season. Forgetting the outcome for a second, your franchise and its support has been a stronghold and a staple for this league. Your players and fans epitomize a champion despite what this afternoon's score might say. Great things are to come for those who wait and there is no city that understands that more than Boston. My hat's off to you and I expect a very strong and competetive side next season and beyond.

19. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been at work all day and I had to miss the game.
    My sons watched it and said it was an exciting game to watch but they're pretty fanatical.
    What did everyone else think? Was it a good game for American TV? Was it a decent game to possibly attract borderline fans? Did it earn any respect from the eurosnobs as far as the increasing quality of MLS play? You know where I'm getting at.

20. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes he is. why heaps in that spot? terrible decision. he had better people to use. why take that risk then, the other side was going to start getting less deep on pk takers. terrible decision.
    I blame heaps most of all. you could tell ebfore the even hit the ball he was going to hit it with the inside of his foot and soft shoot it low left. he telscoped it horribly.
    hit it like you mean it.

21. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution

I want players, like heaps, to WANT to take that shot. I wish all 7 remaining revs were asking to take that shot (maybe they were, who knows).

I also want a coach to say "no jay, rolly takes it."

22. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kills me is it was an aweful strike. the second he stepped you know it was going to be saved. you could see by the way his shoulders were aimed and by the way he opened his foot exactly where he was going.
    I'm a big heaps fan, but he's a vetern. he should know better. even though noonan choked. he at least hit it with some intent.

I'm heart broken

23. nomarrox84

nomarrox84 New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    i've always hated shootouts...i hated them when i was a goalie and i hate them now.

that being said, I think we were the better team today. I'm proud of our guys. We waited 86 years for the sox to win the world series so if my calculations are correct, the revs still have 74 more years to pull it off. ;)

Hopefully next year we'll have the same core (healthy) guys. And I may be in the minority, but I won't be too bothered to see Dempsey go. I'd be more heartbroken if we lost Dorman or Joseph.

edited to add, i was forced to put the game on mute half way through...the announcers were awful!

24. SamAdams

SamAdams New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    it's a dark day for new england.

25. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    OK forget what I said

Dempsey wussed out, must have been thinking about 2004