MLS Cup on ABC

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by soccerdome, Aug 8, 2002.

1. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Don't we all just love them.(lol) ABC I mean. I was just thinkin' about it, and after all the problems we had with the AS game, do you think we should still trust them with the biggest game of the year, MLS Cup? Or could we maybe move to FSW or ESPN? Now I know the problem with that is everyone dosesn't have cable, thus some people couldn't see the game. Ah, the many choices! Voice your opinion and vote.

2. viperdiablo21

viperdiablo21 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    i believe FSW is only available on certain cable packages so it would reach less viewers. abc is a basic network included with all cable so stick with abc

3. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Do you think any other basic networks would show it? That might be an option.

4. viperdiablo21

viperdiablo21 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    i dont know how willing other networks are to show MLS Cup but i know sport usually look very nice on the Fox basic network and on abc. nbc does an ok job with the NBA playoffs, and cbs only shows football, college football and, college basketball. cbs and nbc might look to expand to soccer but i am not sure if they would be able to pay as much for the rights as abc or fox. although i think we had to pay abc for the all-star game. we could always show it on pax. :)

5. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I can't understand why Fox basic wouldn't take a leap of faith and hook up with MLS. Hell, you gotta think a national championship game would get better ratings than say "When Good Pets go Bad 4" or "World's Wildest Police Chases 8". Could you imagine MLS Cup 2002 in primetime under the lights? Lord, please stop giving blessings to Destinys Child and throw some MLS' way. I promise I'll start going back to church.

6. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    The MLS Cup falls in the heart of football series and the World Series. Don't think Fox will go for it. (although, if baseball goes on strike...)

What sucks is that the MLS Cup is on the same time football is on, and no sport will beat football in ratings anytime soon.

7. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Maybe we should just experiment to see how it works. The biggest risk is not taking one. NBC sounds pretty good. But I guess what really made me realize that ABC wasn't all that interested in soccer (& someone else on another post agreed) was when they didn't show the ceremony after BRAZIL won the World Cup. So wrong, so dirty. That's the best part of the Final. :)

8. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Baseball on strike....... my ultimate fantasy.

9. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Well, if the Fire were still at SF, a baseball strike would be great. However, one right now won't increase the attendence. Does anyone remember the Sting's 1981 run (I don't I was only 4.) The baseball strike that summer didn't hurt.

10. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

No. I wasn't even born. And I miss Soldier Field, too.

11. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    dumbass.

12. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

huh?

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought moderators weren't supposed to do this sort of thing ......

14. mr.acorn

mr.acorn New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Hell.......With our luck, Dubya will start dropping bombs on Baghdad ten minutes before kickoff.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since ABC has the contract with MLS through 2006, . . . no.

16. bbax2000

bbax2000 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Oaktown, CA
    Dang, you beat me to it.

The poll should be: What effed-up event will keep us from seeing MLS Cup '02

- weather, earthquake, or other natural phenomenon
    - war
    - OJ-esque freakshow
    - 24/7 coverage of baseball strike

17. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    what a stupid thread, there is no chance of MLS beeing on any other network because MLS has a contract with ABC.

18. Duff

Duff New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    i know alot of ABC soccer broadcasts get jacked around....but, i get a happy feeling when I see a game played on a main network. For that reason, I have to stick with ABC.

19. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I thought it was funny that ABC put out all this publicity about all the special sound equipment it was using, 487 microphones, mics underground, all that shiznit, and then apparently they weren't able to use any of them? I didn't hear a single wireless mic the whole match (although I didn't see the second half). I guess they didn't want America's best turned into little crispies.

20. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Well, I think that perhaps the original queation isn't phrased in the best fashion and the alternatives in the poll are too limited.

Clearly we are locked in for this year and probably years to come, so the question should probably have been something like: "Given a choice, who do you think would be the best folks to broadcast MLS Cup."

The best options are one of the national over-the-air networks: ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox. We've had experience with ABC. I'm guessing that our best bet would be with Fox. They seem more inclined to take a chance on something, and when they decide to do it, have a pretty decent track record of doing a pretty decent job of it.