MLS Cup Finalists to CONCACAF Champions Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Northside Rovers, Nov 5, 2004.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Fvck MLS.

2. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I found out actually that this was decided a few months ago, so the specific charge related to it being to benefit DC doesn't stand.

But it still sucks.

3. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Though my gut feeling is that it would make more sense to have the Supporters Shield winner go, thereby providing some incentive other than home advantage in the second round of the playoffs, I have to admit that there are some pretty good arguments for having the Open Cup winner go instead.

As has been pointed out, the Supporters Shield, though officially recognized by the league as a legitimate trophy, is not won by a "champion" in the strict sense. MLS has chosen to determine its champion by the playoff method. We can argue all day about whether they should have done so, but that's the way it is. And the fact is, the teams themselves don't really care much about winning the Shield, so it may not be an accurate reflector of who the best team really was over the course of the season. There's also the problem that the schedule is not balanced, giving some teams a slight advantage. The U.S. Open Cup is at least a true cup championship, even though most of the time the MLS teams don't put much effort into winning it either, until they get to the finals. Maybe if they got a Champions Cup place they'd exert a little more effort.

Having said all that, I'm still in favor of having the Supporters Shield winner go. They might not be the "champion" or even the best team, but they'd be a heck of a lot better chance to be a good team than the winner of the Open Cup. Besides, they already have a cup winner going: the winner of MLS Cup.

This year in MLS, parity was taken to the extreme, and I'm not convinced that Columbus was markedly better than Chicago or Dallas. They certainly proved they weren't much better than New England. However, in most years, the Shield winners are clearly one of the league's superior teams, and it would be a shame to leave them out of the Champions Cup just because they happened to have one bad game in the semifinals or got knocked out on penalties.

Of course, no one has raised the possibility that they could leave out the MLS Cup winner and instead send the Supporters Shield and Open Cup winners. I know they'd never do it, but isn't being league champion its own reward?

4. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In time maybe people will appreciate that.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, it has been two days since the conference finals...so I guess it is safe to reveal the result. The 2005 U.S. representatives will be... [drumroll]

D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards

Comments? I personally think both teams will struggle against UNAM Pumas, Saprissa, etc. (especially if the teams undergo many changes in the offseason.)

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

That's the great thing about these tournaments. We're about to find out how our teams compete with those in other regions of CONCACAF. Why do you think they'd struggle? That's what makes the Champions League so special, and hopefully over time this tournament will get more respect. Is this tournament a big deal in Mexico? Since they put teams in Copa Libertadores this year, I'd think that would be the bigger deal. I'm sure they'd like to stick it to us any chance they get.

Anyway, we'll see. Perhaps the Mexicans will be enchanted by the media hype-superstar himself: MR. FREDDY ADU

8. Nope.

9. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Do MLS teams even send their starting lineup to the tournaments? Or do they treat them like the Open Cup and give their reserves a chance to get some PT? Or does it vary from team to team and from year to year? I have no clue, so right now I have no idea whether or not American results in CONCACAF Cups is an accurate reflection of American squads.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Because they've been humiliated (there is no other way of saying it) since 2000. Not to mention the fact that MLS teams undergo a lot of changes in the offseason. There is also the issue of the time frame. Then again, Italian & Spanish teams also have to play their CL Qualifiers in their pre-season...
    I imagine that will change now with a serious buck to be made. No?
    I would probably go with this one. Chicago for example cared a great deal last year, but SJ (notably Jeff Agoos) seemed to have some motivational problems. Regardless, now that the Club World Championship is hopefully here to stay, the Champions Cup basically gets a re-launch in 2005.

11. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that the winner of the CC goes on to the Club Word Championship to take on the top clubs from the other 5 confederations and get a slice of the $15million or $25million (I forget) prize money might be more of an incentive to try and win the tourney.

I also think that DC and KC are pretty good reps from MLS. I don't suspect that DC will loose many key players during the off season (though Nelsen may leave). It just depends but DC has a better shot than most of returning a good, capable side.

So it's two from MLS. How many from the other leagues to make up the 8 participants?

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Does anyone think that KC and DC may get a little help next year to boost their chances of making it to the world club championship?

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Read the CONCACAF press release...

PS: It's $15 million

14. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

As I said in another thread, even $1 million of that $15 million pot would be worth every ounce of effort to MLS.

15. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned, most of the info is in the recent press release. There are links below to other info:

Mexico gets two -- Pumas for winning the Clausura and whoever wins the Apertura.

Central America gets three -- four teams remain and they'll play a tournament to decide the three spots on December 1-5.
    The teams: CD F.A.S. (SLV), CD Olímpia (HON), CSD Municipal (GUA) or Deportivo Saprissa (CRC).
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2792
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2791

Caribbean gets one -- one finalist is Harbour View FC (JAM) while the other series isn't finished. CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh (TRI) and Tivoli Gardens FC (JAM) drew in the first leg in Trinidad and the second leg takes place in Jamaica on Wednesday. The final series is said to be "next month" although I didn't see dates (edit to say that the dates are Dec. 8 & 15 according to the first press release below):
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2797
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2802

16. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After we kick your butts in the final, will you drop your objection to DC's attendance in the CCC? :D

Sempuukyaku nails it.
    MLS Cup Winner should definately go. It's obvious that every team's goal is to win it.
    The second point comes to where individuals wish to place additional emphasis. My personal choise is the USOC. The history is there, the pool of teams is deeper, and if someone like Rochester wins it again, that chunk of change just might give them the nest egg they need to buy themselves a team (in MLS, that is). How cool would that be? Or Rochester v. Boca Juniors in NY (if the winner feeds into the World Club Championchip)?
    I would personally choose to place greater emphasis on the USOC Champion.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    no

18. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I think this is the best way. The two top teams at season's end going to the regional champions competion. Just like everywhere else.

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, the last 2 or 3 years we've been outplayed when matched up with CR and (especially) Mexican clubs...As much as MLS has gotten better since 1996, i have no doubt Mexican clubs have also made great strides of their own and their level is above ours.... .The prize of playing the WCC (15 mil!)will only make it harder....At the same time, i think we are getting the best 2 teams we could possibly get (Crew being handicapped thank to Andrulis :) ) Honestly, as much as i hate to admit it, DC made far more sense than the Revs, who, had they won 7 instead of 8 games in the regular season, could not even claim to have won a quarter of its games.....Plus judging from a year or two ago, might have given up their home field advantage, again! DC has a good coach and ok players ;) Midfield especially ...KC has a great TEAM too...I'm still eating my words from the beginning of the season, when i thought with injuries and all they'd be horrible to watch...They were defensive to an extent, but they were no Colorado ....Instead, they had and still possess a very dynamic strategy, which does not have a great need for a "big" star and a fantastic coach (whom i also thought before this season as outdated....) who gets the best out of them....

My 3 main concerns:
    -Will these two team be able to maintain (or regain?) their level by March?
    -Can D.C. use RFK by March?
    -Will KC'a style suffer if they have to play a team in the altitude (ie. like Mexican clubs do).... I've learned to admire their "give it all" attitude in MLS play, put i doubt such pace will be rewarded (or last, really) playing for 90 minutes in a place like for example, Mexico D.F.

The rewards are very enticing indeed...I just hope that both D.C. and K.C get the adequate preparation, and not just start the cup as part of their preseason.... Maybe (one can hope) they can hook up with the Scandinavian teams that IIRC, are also in offseason and could help them regain their level (as best as they can anyway) come March.....

20. jsantarita

jsantarita Member

Jun 13, 2000
    The MLS teams are going to get beaten, drubbed and trounced . There is no doubt about that!
    Stating that MLS is getting better is....irrational exuberance! It is not. It has been getting worse (play wise) and the format prevents teams from getting better.
    It is levelling from the bottom. Rewarding mediocrity.
    That is why we are going to get beaten merciless once again.

21. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    good optimism

22. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the league is consistant about who goes though I think this could be a good opportunity for the league to add some spice to the regular season by giving a slot to the SS winner.

Funny how the USSF is responsible for the Open Cup and is technically in charge of the US entries to the CCC yet they don't use it to promote their own competition.

The NFL team going 16-0 and losing in the playoffs doesn't count as it's highly likely they'll be playing a team they didn't meet in the regular season.

BTW, didn't 4 MLS teams make the CCC until a couple years ago?

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The 2001 CCC was cancelled.

In 2002, San Jose (2001 MLS Cup), Kansas City (2000 MLS Cup), Chicago (2000 MLS Cup runners-up - who had been slated for the 2001 CCC), and DC United (2001 Giants Cup runner-up) represented MLS in the 16 team knockout.

Since then the CCC has been an 8 team knockout.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hey, Freddy will get to go out and take on the world!