Mls Cup Final

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by rallen, Nov 6, 2004.

1. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    In less than 23 hours we should know who will join the Wizards in the Cup final. Who does everyone want to see, New England or DC?

2. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    I said in the In-Game thread that I wanted to see NE just because of the pretentiousness of the DC fans. NE was weaker this season, but it's easy for guys like Noonan and Twellman to get hot. So I'll just be rooting for no one tomorrow, because it won't matter! Go Wizards.

3. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Having DC in the final would complete the conquest of the axis of evil. The Quakes, Galaxy, then D.C. in a season where we had all these injuries... it would be perfect.

4. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I will agree with you szazzy. Plus with kckicker23 about Twellman and Noonan.
    8 hours latter and I'm still pumped. Was so excitted, I didn't sleep well. Come on Sunday the 14th.

ONE MORE WIN!!!!!
    GO WIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!

5. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    DC. Definately.

6. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to play whoever is there. Whoever wins tonight will be the team that deserves to be there.

I went to MLS Cup 2000 in DC and MLS Cup 2002 in Foxboro and I was impressed by both DC and New England fans. They were great hosts and I was treated very well. I'd be happy to meet either teams' supporters in LA for MLS Cup 2004.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care who we play, but like I said last night, NE looks to be playing well lately, and they have me a little worried. Though if DC wins we might be seeing some nice MLS ref bias to try and get Freddy the cup. We'll see though

8. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Quite an exciting game, and I'm very glad I'm not a DC or NE fan- I don't think I could stand that.

9. CompSlave

CompSlave Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Indeed. It will be a Cup game to remember. DC scares me, but I know what our boys are capable of.

10. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    It's final. DC vs KC. Game On!!!!!!

ONE MORE WIN!!!!!!
    GO WIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus beating the fire in the Open Cup. It would be perfect.

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    No doubt.

I don't know how many people sae the East Final, but it's my opinion that dc barely deserved to be going to LA. Against NE dc had high quality finishes on all 3 goals. That's the only redeeming thing about them. All 3 chances were created by NE errors that KC simply has not shown all year. The first two were high school quality mistakes that dc capitalized on. The fist goal was a blatant giveaway at the back that was equal parts too casual and low skill inaccuracy. Esky picked it, sprinted to goal, and popped one off the far post. He earned every bit of the finish, but the opportunity should never have been there...and will not be v KC.

The second dc goal came from Reis cheating off his line too early with Moreno possessing the ball (inexplicably with abundant space) just off the corner of the penalty box. Reis cheated and without a defender covering, Moreno put it in directly just inside the near post. Reis wasn't even close enough to make an effort, that's how far he cheated. I can't see either Bo or our defense combining to make that error either.

The East Final was a very exciting game, but it wasn't played at a level anything close to what KC has played in the last two games, opponent included. NE has to feel like they flat gave it away.

Another thing. It was equally clear that Rimando is too short to be of value at the higher level of playoff time. NE pouinded him at every opportunity and more than once Rimando was out jumped by Revs. Noonan scored the NE third by laying waste to little Nick. As the ball crossed the goal line, Rimando was looking for his jock and the number of the truck. Embarassing stuff really.

dc just beat the #3 and #4 seeds in the East, two of the only teams in MLS to never have any playoff success. Their GK is suspect. KC should have ample opportunity to set up a play or two to take full advantage of the midgit.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Quit typing and get the pics from Friday posted...

:)

14. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    I saw the highlights . . . couldn't agree more. Having seen our last two games - no team is playing better than we are right now. Our defense gives up NOTHING: no quality looks, no quality shots.

DC doesn't have a chance, because to win, you gotta score. And they aren't going to score.

Really wish I could make it this weekend.

15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't gift DC two goals like NE did Saturday. A bad giveaway in the back led to DC's first and Moreno unmarked and Reis pulling a Jorge Campos on the second.

I'm confident we'll win.

2-0. (Arnaud, Guiterriez)

16. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    It was a bad giveaway about 30 yards from goal, but Alecko still had to push forward and put that amazing shot in. There is no way Bo stops that shot either. They certainly have finishers.

17. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was more than a bad giveaway. If Heaps touches the ball instead of letting it bounce past him to Eskandarian then he never had a chance to get that shot off. None of our backs are as bad as Heaps and Leonard are.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But you gotta admit Alecko's run and shot were top notch and we must be wary not to give them time and space like that.

I don't like thier speed and combinations up front -- scary.

But pessimism has got me thru this season with some very successful results, so I am staying that way.

19. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the run and finish were amazing I was just pointing out it was more than a simple give away 30 yards from goal that started all that. It was more of Heaps not being able to get a touch to the ball as it bounced past him and then getting out ran that allowed the goal to happen.