Post-match: MLS CUP FINAL!! CREW VS SEATTLE HIPSTERS SATURDAY 12/12/2020 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Dec 6, 2020.

?

RESULT?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2020.
  1. CREW WIN IN REGULAR TIME

64.4%
  2. CREW WIN IN EXTRA TIME

11.9%
  3. CREW WIN IN PKS

3.4%
  4. this poll doesnt contain any crew losing options, so pick this one instead, but crew still win!

8.5%
  5. Lucas Zelarayan scores a 90th minute free kick to win. (worth 96 points)

11.9%
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right....:oops:

2. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I worded my response accurately.. Totally agreed.

Bill Archer and TKyle repped this.
  3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1403 CybrSlydr, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Last night was more the total and abject failure of the entire offense and defense of the Steelers. Good God, they couldn't tackle, cover, or block to save their lives in the first quarter. Take away the first snap fumble and any of those ridiculous throws for picks and the Steelers win that game.

Now, I'm not taking away from the Browns that they didn't capitalize on the mistakes, and I turned the game off after it was 21-0, but the Steelers were abject failures on the field for the first half.

The final score was only an 11 point win.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is known

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry man, but the score was deceptively close. The Steelers did score a late face saver to trim it to a two score game, as you must know, happens along when a team with a big lead gives up chunks up yardage in the middle of the field to keep the clock running.

It was a 3 score lead until there wasn't enough time for it to matter. They got a complete ass kicking

Sounds like you're a fan and God bless but the Steelers looked old, slow and average while the Browns looked young, aggressive, talented and hungry.

The Steelers are done. Ben is done. They were done when Brown and Bell walked.(which they did because of Rothlisberger) I'm sure the fans don't want to hear it but its a fact.

MLSinCleveland and TKyle repped this.
  6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1406 CybrSlydr, Jan 11, 2021
    I've been hoping for years that Ben would retire (and get someone other than Tomlin to coach, good Lord...) - he's no Brady. But no, he keeps dragging the team down further and further because he can't let go and give up the ego.

The Steelers are in desperate need of an overhaul, both in talent and age. And it's going to be an ugly couple of years until they finally do.

Bill Archer repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    And Ben counts 41 mil on next year's salary cap. They can cut him to save 19 mil or do an extension to kick the cap hit down the road. Maybe they will trade for Wentz or Darnold or even Watson.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a loooooooong suffering Browns fan (and Bengals fan to a lesser extent; OHIO teams!), I look forward to the demise of the Stillers![emoji16]

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1409 Bill Archer, Jan 11, 2021
    So I got an email today about getting a picture taken with the Cup.

It says that some STM's have been invited but if you havent don't worry, they'll get around to everybody eventually.

It was very odd.

I take it to mean that theyre getting complaints about it since Ive heard Nordecke members have had the opportunity before anyone else which is typical of this FO if its true.

I won't drive up there just for that anyway so I dont care.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got one too. Not sure yet what Mrs. KG wants to do. We'll likely wait. There will be other chances.

11. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a still long suffering Bengals fan, I will always enjoy the Steelers' pain. The two most hated entities for Bengals fans are the Steelers and Mike Brown.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More to the point, despite what the clowns on TV keep repeating, it is not in fact all that difficult or that rare to beat the same team 3 times in a season. The Steelers beat Baltimore 3 times i. 2008, the Cowboys beat Philadelphia 3 times the very next year and in 2017 the Saints beat Carolina 3 times.

In fact, it has happened a whopping 22 times in the last 20 years. Why the pronounciators keep saying its next to impossible is a mystery aside from the fact that theyre lazy and just repeat crap they've heard someone else say.

MLSinCleveland and KCbus repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even more to the point, FedEx just dropped off 3 MLS Champions scarves. Very cool.

14. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times has a team even had the opportunity to beat someone three times over that span? 22 is already more than I would have guessed.

I suppose "it's tough to beat any team three times, so the Saints have a real challenge on their hands" is more likely to drum up viewership than "the Saints beat Carolina twice already, and there's no reason to expect any different this time".

Bill Archer repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had one of the "Champions" jerseys on display when I picked mine up yesterday. And they seem to have those jerseys available in all sizes on the shop website. I assume you could just drop in and buy one, but it probably makes sense to call first.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly. It seems to me that the biggest obstacle to beating a team for a third time is actually MEETING them for a third time. If you’ve beaten someone twice already, the odds are good they’re not going to make the playoffs in the first place. And even if they do, there’s no guarantee they’ll play YOU.

But this whole thing where a team that’s won the two prior meetings becomes the de facto underdog for no other reason than that... it’s lame.

Bill Archer and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have nodded off at some point, Bill. There was a large chunk of the second half where it was a two score game. Pittsburgh kicked a PAT to cut it to 12 with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. And went for two down 13 with 11 minutes left.

The Browns responded to the latter with a FG (still a 2 score game). After the first one, the Steelers held and got the ball back down 12, but Tomlin chickened out on 4th and 1 from midfield and punted. The Browns scored a TD to restore a 3 score game.

Sorry, no revisionist recaps.

catfish9 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. That was a blowout all the way.

MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure the lead was fairly large but slimmed quickly after Pittsburgh gave them a 28 pt lead. I mean that gift was unprecedented. Cleveland literally didn't have to do anything but wait for Ben to throw them the ball. But after that gift and self inflicted wounds the score was 37-20 Pittsburgh. Tomlin doesn't make the wrong call and punt on 4th & 1, Steelers get 1st down, the outcome would have been far different. Browns jock straps would have cinched up real tight as they tried to hold on for the win. You could see the growing look of concern from Browns players as Steelers start to get defensive stops and then march down field and score to narrow the margin. One Baker mistake could have also drastically changed outcome. But those are all coulda shoulda wouldas and mean nothing. Congrats to Browns and their fans. I've come to like the Haslams but I will never root for Browns. I honestly hope this year becomes an anomaly and they return to a .500ish team. As long Baker is their QB, there is a good chance they will be mediocre.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Mine were originally scheduled to be delivered today. Last week I got emails indicating that they were now delayed to on or after February 9th. Today I opened the front door and there they were. Weird.

Bill Archer repped this.
  21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda nice, as an Ohio Sports fan, to see a page-and-a-half discussion about a Browns victory over the Squealers in a playoff game. Three years ago, who'da thunk it?
    Tangentially Crew-related, in an old but beloved thread.
    And for those put off by the pointyball discussion here, I guess it shows how eager some continue to want to discuss positives in Ohio Sports. I have a strong feeling this will carry over into the upcoming Crew season!!

TRUJDUB, MLSinCleveland and Dan Milton repped this.
  22. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My thought on the Browns is the better they do, the happier Jimmy Haslam is. The happier Jimmy is, the more he invests in the Crew. That may not be reality but I like to think it is. He’s only human. Go Browns!

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the Browns: It's nice for the fans that they finally get that playoff win, but my world wouldn't have ended if they lost. They've certainly turned things around over the past few seasons.

I do think it's very 2020 that it took the following them for them to win a playoff game:
    1) The downfall of the Steelers
    2) The downfall of the Colts
    3) The Patriots to miss the playoffs
    4) A global pandemic

At one time, those three teams were total AFC powerhouses. Could this be a shift in power in the AFC, or was it moreso the pandemic combined with 2020 being...well...2020? Stay tuned.

25. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Went with the two champagne and one wine bundle from Mano's, delivery Saturday. Giving a champagne to parents and sister, keeping wine for my alcohol shelf. Also splurged on a champions 20 jersey, couldn't pass it up.

zman31 repped this.