MLS Cup Expert Predictions

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Michael CM1, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    We're all experts so make your predictions!

2-1 DC on a Freddy Adu stoppage time goal

(That'll give the papers something to write about)

2. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    2-1 Wizards. Arnaud and Gutierrez score for Wizards and Adu scored for United.

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    3-2 KC

Arnaud X 2, Wolff

Esky & Moreno

4. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Kansas City Wizards 1:0 Columbia United

96' Jimmy Conrad

5. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Remember, this is a 'neutral venue'... But you know DC will absolutely have the fan advantage...
    Additionally, just looking at the gameguide... Nowak has the coaching edge, because he has the advantage of options. It seems to me, all else being roughly equal, the 3-5-2 should always dictate to the 4-4-2. Not necessarily win, but dictate the game.
    On to matchups... If Petke and Carroll/Namoff can push the KC attack out wide, or if Stewart and Kovalenko can keep Jewsbury and Stephenson out of the offensive end, DC should control this match.
    I'd be very surprised if DC didn't own the wings.
    KC will try to force it through the middle, and over the top, because they will have no hope in the midfield, and very little true attacking possession...
    It just seems KC's entire offensive scheme is dependent upon Josh Wolff getting to a long ball or hitting Arnaud on a diagonal run...
    I have a great deal of respect for KC, and I'm not a DC fan obviously, but I don't see Zavagnin/Gutierrez/Stephenson doing much more than breaking up attacks from Olsen/Stewart/Kovalenko... And I have a feeling that Gomez and/or Adu will have an impact sooner or later...
    I'm looking forward to Olsen vs. Zavagnin... That should be a good one.
    Zotinca better have a great game, and he better not lose track of Kovalenko, because Garcia can't handle Dema and Eski at the same time...

All that being said, I pick KC 2-0...

...JK...

DC-3 [Kovalenko 26' (Moreno), Gomez 53' (Stewart), Olsen 84' (Adu)]
    KC-2 [Wolff 42' (Zavagnin), OG 65' :D]

The real drama will be how many minutes Freddy Adu gets... ;) (28, but I'd love to see him get the start, or at least the full 2nd half...)

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got KC winning 2-1 in a physical game. DC's thug will be back in this game, he'll hack off a couple of KC limbs. An Arnaud and Wolff goal for KC and Moreno for DC (just to further stick it to MLS proving why he should have been MVP).

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I disagree that a 3-5-2 automatically dictates to a 4-4-2, but that said, DC will probably dictate in this match, since KC likes it when the other team does so.

8. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I think I could write an entire thread all by myself on the formational expectation debate...

But I still think DC will win...

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    3-1 DC. KC doesn't show up just like the first leg in San Jose. Except this time there isn't any second game to make it up.

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Though I do think DC will dictate play. Think DC's back line is vulnerable to KC's speed on counterattack. KC will need strong GK'ing or could fall too far behind early. Is everyone healthy that's been playing during the playoffs?

11. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I'm a KC fan so I obviously hope they will win, but my sincere prediction is DC 3 KC 1. DC will have almost all the attacking possession in this game, KC will (as usual) rely on the counter and bypass the midfield. KC just doesnt get much possession, and while this gameplan worked well for KC all season, they havent faced an ooponent nearly as creative as DC has been down the stretch. I'm afraid DC has the weapons and the teamwork to actually do something with their possession advantage and turn the possession into goals.

Moreno, Esky, Adu for DC
    Jewsbury for KC

12. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    KC will win. I don't know what the score will be, probably 1-0 or 2-0, but the better defensive side always wins one off games (and really...do we want a 15 year old kid to get big headed already?!?...can't we have him wait til he hits Landon Donavon age :rolleyes: )

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    1-1 draw at end of regulation. United wins via a golden goal from Esky.

14. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 DC,

2 first half Goals from Gomez (2 Moreno assists)
    Late goal by Adu

15. KCWizFan#3

KCWizFan#3 New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Overland Park
    KC will win 2-0
    Arnaud and Guitierrez

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC 3-1. Moreno, Wolff, Eskie, Adu.

17. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Prediction DC 3 - 2 KC - another exciting match for today. Weather out here is good for now, hope it keeps that way for the entire game.

18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the winner is....