MLS CUP CHAMPIONS 2024 ROSTER THREAD

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 11, 2023.

1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say he's as good as Morris or his replacement.

But he is a good player who can help us at several different spots. He can play some 8, but probably would need Zawadzki or Jones paired with him.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At which point, Nagbe isn’t playing?

4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Absolutely what made Morris great as a 6 is he started to contribute on offense and just continues to get better and add to his game which is why he has potential in Europe and he is betting on himself. He is light years better than Will Trapp. He will be missed when he leaves and we will need a really good player. Who we pair with an aging Nagbe will be interesting. I’ll take Zawadzki over Jones but would prefer Sean at CB.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the congestion in July, Nagbe is gonna have to rest some. There will have to be some rotation.

Honestly, how drunk/dumb are you, sometimes?

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for gods sake, though our system is closer to 2 flat CMs side by side, Nagbe is closer to the 6 than Morris. He stays further back in possession, especially when we have the ball in our own half.

Morris roams further forward. Gets more goal and assists. And presses higher up the pitch. He is an 8. Not a 6.

ColumbusFTW repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

8. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    IMG_1646.jpeg

Officially official. I concur with the sentiments others have made that this guy could see minutes at wingback.

Pauncho, TRUJDUB21, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  9. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    "The 22-year-old will be available for selection with the Crew when the summer transfer window opens on July 18, 2024"

From a rival fan: "I’m sick of Columbus and their sensible moves"

10. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    The talk about needing a 6 has me confused as well. Until Nagbe gives the GM notice that he's nearing retirement, that's his spot. I think we use the DP slot to buy a 9 or 10, and the U22 spot for an 8 to replace Morris. Then I'd add a depth player at CB and at RWB. Farsi will wear down and risk reinjury if he doesn't have someone to rotate with him on that side. The bench will be crowded with Chambost, Jackson, JRR, Matan, Arfsten and Hinestroza all competing for minutes in the attacking third so I won't be surprised if we see another transfer or two out next month from that group for some GAM or TAM to use on the new additions. Matan and Hinestroza seem like the more obvious choices.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except that I can't see someone being willing to pay a lot for either one. Hinestroza has yet to prove that he can play, and while Matan has his uses he's not going to set hearts aflutter.

So maybe you can get $50-100k for either of them. So what?

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit to some degree of envy in that score.

Maybe I can even things on Saturday.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I don't think us getting rid of Matan or Hinestroza is very likely. Each are U-22's that cost only $200k vs the cap. They are our cheapest guys on the entire Senior roster.

Further, we'd be giving up on Hinesroza after 5 months? I doubt that.

Matan had double digit assists last year, was a starter on the title team, came up big in CCC this year (winner at Hou, 2 assists at Monterrey), and can play 3 spots (WF, RWB, CM). He's our third best attacker (4th at worst), cheap, and versatile.

Maybe let him walk after the contract is out, but jettisoning now?

The only way it would make any sense at all is if we have multiple U22 guys we love that we need to ink ASAP. And need to create another U22 spot. But I'd trade Hinestroza first in that situation.

The transfer fees for U22s and DPs will not alter their cap hits, so we need not use GAM/TAM there. So trading to generate Garberbucks does not seem likely as it should not be needed. Unless we have multiple TAM guys incoming. But Molino earlier and Morris now, that is a chunk of change we should have free.

Minnman and Bill Archer repped this.
  14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, we now have a trade (Jackson), and two transfers (Chambost in, Morris out) that a non-siloccer person could easily call a trade.

I think we can stop searching for outgoing trade candidates on the squad. The IM info has been fulfilled.

crew2112 repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we have to wait until the international transfer window opens to acquire a player from within MLS in a single-entity league where MLS HQ owns all player contracts?

16. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    It's a no-trade window too for MLS.

TrueCrew repped this.
  17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    We definitely have interchangeable CMs but to me Morris started as a 6 and improved and can play either. Nagbe was a attacking player who is not what he once was but is still more of a 8/6 in my book. I think he can still be really good if we manage his minutes. This is the first year we have lightened his minutes a bit and we will have to continue to do that by giving him less and less minutes. I really could see him retiring soon. I’m not so sure he finishes out this contract (2025 with a opt for 26)

18. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    According to transfermarkt, Matan is our 3rd most valuable asset at $4M. I don’t know who would pay that but with his European passport, maybe that increases his value. It would be stupid to do anything other than sell him off. Unless we keep him. I agree that Chambost may be a replacement for him. I like what Nancy said about having a left footed option. Matan is anything but that. He’s exclusively right foot but maybe that works in certain matchups.
    Give me Jarne Steukers and I’ll entertain losing Matan.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Hinestroza isn’t going anywhere , tiny vampire could be gone. Again nobody asking questions about his contract status is shocking

20. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it cost us 650k GAM Bucks for his rights

21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Morris is $4 million, then Matan ain’t that. Besides, he can sign a free contract as of July 1 with anyone outside MLS, so his value is next to nothing.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  22. TracieB

TracieB Member

Oct 2, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought MLS contracts expired on 12/31? How could he sign a free contract on 7/1?

23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    He can sign precontract in soccer. It's kinda like the NFL and NBA's tampering period

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are leaving as a free agent, 6 months before your contract ends you can sign a pre-contract with any team you want, as long as they are outside that country.

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this shocking? He is a FA after this year. Everyone knows this. What is the point of the question? It happens all the time.

Gressel. Molino. Medranda. Matan. Sometimes they stay. Sometimes they go. Sometimes they have more value to a team playing out the contract rather than bringing in someone new for 3 months.