MLS CUP CHAMPIONS 2024 ROSTER THREAD

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 11, 2023.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. My phone cut iff the question she was responding to, so I was a little slow on the uptake & thought it was re: Jackson, not the discovery rights deal.

Edited my original

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is supposed MLS interest in Eustaquio (Canadian CM who plays for Porto). I call him Mustachio, but that is just me.

I'd take that as a Morris replacement.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    He'd surely end up with one of the Canadian teams, wouldn't he? He's a starter for the Canadian national team so he'd be worth more to those clubs for marketing reasons.

4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    #1879 TRUJDUB21, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    I have a friend Adam who is a STH for STL and this is what he had to say about the player ;

He had the starting job at the beginning of the season and lost it and just comes on for 20ish mins when he gets subbed on.He's not good. I don't understand the people that are so high on him. Literally what he does is he gets the ball, looks down at the ball and dribbles around until he loses the ball, falls down, takes a bad shot, or plays a simple back pass. He literally has no vision or shot power.We've tried him as a 8, 9, 10, winger. You name it we've tried it. He's just not good. Everytime he gets the ball it's like hitting an offensive dead end. I don't think he will even be coming on as a sub anymore when teuchert and hartel arrive into the team.Pretty sure he will be playing for city 2.Yeah, there's no place here for him anymore.We gave him every chance to thrive and he just failed miserably.

But hopefully he can be a back up 8 but I’m thinking he might be another option at RWB. We need spots and he is young and athletic so I’m sure Nancy can get something out of him.We have plenty of attacking options already.

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-2 under the Issa Window.
    Yes, I know these moves have been in the works well before he officaly took over but its still him not approving it. Both guys we brought in are back ups at best and weve lost a stalwart.

6. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Relax we need depth and Morris isn’t officially gone so until then we aren’t going to replace him because the window isn’t even open.

soccerncbus repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s more of passer than a DM. We desperately need someone that can win a tackle other than our CBs. I paper, I like him. Not sure he’s the right profile though.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Calm down.

foozer, TrueCrew, KCbus and 2 others repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Admittedly Jackson has been a attacking player only and hasn’t had a defensive role at STL but with all the attacking options we have it doesn’t fit a need right now. I’m only hoping he can play RWB.

But we really need a CB and if Arfsten or someone isn’t our long term RWB then we surely need another. I’m not worried about CM until Morris actually leaves and I’m positive that we will bring in a quality CM at some point.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would you rate Bez's roster moves during the last window during which he was in charge? As I see it, he paid a $3M fee for a U22 player who hasn't come close to cracking the Starting XI and then must have agreed with Nancy that we didn't need to acquire anyone else. That a 24 man roster was big enough. That no one would get hurt, or transfered out, or maybe lose a step.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are seriously underrating Chambost, IMHO.

I don't get the posts about needing a DM. Morris has almost always played more advanced than Nagbe (though they do take turns some). Steelier, sure. But Nagbe & Jones are the guys who mostly play the 6, not Morris. With Zawadzki + Nagbe, that may change.

But I think Nagbe, Jones, & Zawadzki are all feasible 6's. We need an 8 more. Though I agree a steelier one. Chambost & Matan can play 8/10..

RE: Jackson. A wide attacker with pace & energy but poor vision screams WB/FB conversion to me.

TRUJDUB21 and Paul171121 repped this.
  12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I'd love a high quality CB. But we have given up 1 goal per 90. Best in league, tied with Charlotte.

Aidan is a big part of that, but Camacho, Moreira, Chenerko, Zawadzki, and Amundsen have been pretty good collectively.

13. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Off all the guys we said could play WB, Jackson is one where I think it could work.

Comes at a time Arfsten looked more than competent there

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When people say we need to make moves before the season, they get shouted down for being dumb and not realizing most moves (including big moves) are made in the summer.

Bez leaves spots open for the summer, and now he’s an incompetent boob for not making a ton of signings and having no flexibility in the summer.

Make up your mind people.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris has been top 5 in the league in tackles won the past what, two or three season. 6, DM, ball winner, whatever you wanna call him, we need someone that can do that. From what little I know about Chambost, he doesn’t do that. And Nagbe sure as shit doesn’t do that either. Can’t have all finesse players, even prime Barca had Busquets, Real Madrid had Casemiro (and Makelélé before that), United had Keane, etc etc.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  16. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’d love to see a DP #9 and a U22 #6. Or vice versa. Need an upgrade in both positions.
    I think Jackson will need to prove himself. What it shows is that Sands is further down the depth chart than some of us want to admit. I think his time here is limited. Too much other talent out there.

17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Camacho just isn’t good enough the sooner he is a option off the bench the better. He does a lot of things well but athletically he is slow and we need a young athletic anchor at CB to take us to a higher level. We keep the ball and try to limit teams from making us defend but in 1v1 especially when a opponent counter attacks us he is a liability because we are asking him to do things he isn’t capable of doing.

18. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Arfsten looks competent but he doesn’t play like Farsi and Jackson could do that. Either way if Farsi gets hurt we need someone besides Arfsten to play there.

TrueCrew repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like a US team got Bradley....? Oh, wait....

Crew Chuck35 and TKyle repped this.
  20. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    You identify your guys and go after them irrespective of the window. But it’s typically going to be summer because that’s when more options are available. You don’t just sign a guy in winter just to fill up your roster to 30 guys. So you sign ppl in both windows but mostly in summer. It did suck out roster was thin for CCC but most players aren’t going to pick up this system in a week and be major factors. This is why I said we are in a rebuilding process from Porter. Eventually we will have more players but Nancy wants a core group and doesn’t want too many players. So the exact number of players is really unknown that they are targeting.

All fans want a better Crew team, some are just impatient and like your saying don’t really understand the landscape.

soccerncbus repped this.
  21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not ready to go there. Camacho is struggling right now, but he could be dinged up, or he could just be in a slump. Or just have heavy legs. He’s been a solid enough performer for us that I wouldn’t dismiss him just yet.

22. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Playing him heavy minutes out of pure necessity is a disservice to him. Congested schedule is killer and we have how many CBs ? How many guys who can play the middle ?

Cheberko can play the middle but it’s not his best spot. He really needs to be on the left.

Moreira is strong enough but is a few inches shorter. If your not playing a team strong in the air he did just fine.

Zawadzki plays better on the right but plays all over the pitch. I think he could excel in the middle if he constantly played and practiced there.

Amundsen can not play in the middle

Camacho- he was exactly what we needed last year but was not a long term solution

That’s 4 CB for 3 spots and your 5th guy is Zawadzki. That’s just entirely to thin and all our young guys have been shipped out right and left. We get 1-2 injuries at CB and it severely hampers us. We need a younger guy for Camacho it’s called being proactive. Also eventually Zawadzki needs to start at cb or CDM. He can always help both positions when needed but at some point for his development it’s in our & his best interest to settle into a permanent spot. I think it is at CB which would definitely shift our focus to CDM as a the most important position we need to address.

CDM once Morris is gone already needs addressed. Nagbe is also not going to play forever. But for now Nagbe is much better athletically than Camacho. But neither of them need to play 90m for 34 mls matches. So we need to groom some guys because again not many players under Nancy just join the team and hit the ground running.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t address that to you, but another poster who was going all Chicken ********ing Little and proclaiming Tall’s initial acquisitions failures not only before they’ve played one minute, but before one’s even announced. I just was noting that it wasn’t as though Bez’s roster acquisitions during the winter window were somehow brilliant. Wake me when Hinestroza starts playing like he was worth $3 million.

Regardless, there’s no particular reason to think we’re done making moves for this coming window. Nothing Tall’s done so far - including the Morris sale - are anything Bez wouldn’t have also done.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Altidore.

25. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Isn't that just a bigger testament to Bez. Getting Americans to go to Canada.