MLS CUP CHAMPIONS 2024 ROSTER THREAD

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For playing in England, certainly. I don’t think a Canadian passport has provided any work permit advantage in the UK for quite a while, but an Italian passport certainly would have. Of course it would still allow you to play in all other EU countries without restriction.

2. 1crewmantoo

1crewmantoo Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I believe that Tall pops a DP out of thin air from central or South America. If the Idea is Cucho up top Rossi, and Chambost on the wings, then who is the number 10? It may already be in the works. I imagine a guy much like Lucas there. I might be wrong.

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised of Chambost dislodges any of our current starters. I can see him the rotation, especially if Zawadski needs to rotate around to cover any other absent starters. Of note, too, he'll get here in late July having not played a game in two months. How quickly to really expect him to reach match fitness and adjust to our system?

4. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    he will probably debut in the club friendly versus Aston Villa and in the leagues cup game if I had to guess.

5. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    When they announce the signing this early, I was like oh boy how many of the new fans don't know about transfer windows. He won't play for the team competitively until August 6(?) in Leagues Cup. Maybe he plays vs Villa.

TrueCrew repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    CANT wait for a few more signings. Hopefully Morris is the only guy leaving.

I still would like to keep Mățan he is only 24 and 450k is a fair value. Although I would trade him for Mathieu Choinière. But I wonder how big of a contract he wants ? Also is Saputo really that dumb? In the end I think they give him a new deal and he stays put. Courtois has said he wants the player to stay. They sit 12th and getting rid of their best player for a player trade or just money would seem foolish.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you want a quick tug on your heartstrings, here's a photo to ponder. That kid with the goofy grin and the head that looks like something crawled up there and died is an OG

upload_2024-6-13_12-54-59.jpeg

Sagz, TrueCrew, Jaybir and 10 others repped this.
  8. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Jesse Marsch must not have liked the striker group, JRR called in. Not sure why Jesse didn't call him up in the first place.

TKyle and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  9. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Just in case this needed any further clarification, the Apple TV broadcast confirmed numerous times tonight, citing Nancy himself, that the Chambost signing is not connected to the Morris departure and that Chambost is not a replacement for Morris.

I would expect the Morris departure to be similar to the Lucas departure where we have a similar caliber player lined up to fill his void.

MLSinCleveland and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic picture, Bill. Thanks for posting that.

Morris is gonna be the rare Crew legend with under 100 appearances. Stern John, Friedel, Robin Fraser, and Dooley (yes, it ended badly, under 100 I think). He really only has 1 full year as a starter. But starting & winning 2 MLS Cups.

Maybe after his European adventure is over, he'll come back. 'Boro should make any sentient human homesick.

As for us, I really hope we lay the lumber to this window. Buy Nagbe down & add another DP. Land another U22. Plus maybe another TAM level player. I really want that Club World Cup spot, and winning MLS Cup again seems the likeliest route (SS & Leagues Cup the others).

My shopping list would look like:

1) CM. Morris replacement. A real 8 with some steel (we have plenty of silk). Can also function as a 6 and contribute some in the attack.

2) CB. I like our stable of CBs (Camacho, Moreira, Cheberko, Amundsen, Zawadzki). 1 goal per game is good work. But Rudy is getting long in the tooth and none of them is a dominant defensive presence. I'd love a defender on the Marshall, Dooley, Fraser, Mensah level. Even Parkhurst.

3) CF. Proper #9. Size. Speed. Power. And can combine. We don't NEED one, necessarily. But Goodness, would that be nasty.

4) Wide attacking/wingback reinforcements.

I put this lowest. IDK where Chambost ends up. I hope Matan stays but he is OOC after this year. I dig Rossi/Cucho, but 1 plays centrally a lot olif Matan is gone and JRR/Ramirez are your CFs. Hinestroza is a work in progress.

I view the WBs kind of like the CBs. I like our Farsi, Yeboah, Arfsten, Amundsen, Chanost? stable. But none of those guys are an a-list wingback.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we really know what the team’s long-term positional plan is for Habroune? He’s still so young - 18, turns 19 next Feb. - but based on his development so far, I have to think the expectation is that he develops into a starter… somewhere. Pre-season, what I’d read was CM. But the little we’ve seen of him this season has been in a more advanced midfield role, correct?

In any event, whatever the answer is to the question of Nancy’s plan for the kid, it might effect the kinds of players we acquire. As in maybe more of a 1-2 year stopgap starter while we await the development of Taha.

TRUJDUB21 and zman31 repped this.
  12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Crew 2 he seemed more like a playmaking #8, for the US he seems to play more advanced.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1813 TrueCrew, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    If Zawadzki is in the back (where he most often has been & I like him better), who partners Nagbe? Matan did last year when Morris was at Gold Cup. But I think Chambost or Zawadzki are the only real other options.

Similarly, I could see him playing the Yeboah/Arfsten/Amundsen WB spot some. If Zawadzki can get minutes up top, Chambost clearly can. I am not sure he has to dislodge anyone to be a starter.

We have one spot open. And a lot of midweek games (especially in July, before he can play). One midweek game (in September) after Leagues Cup is it for congestion.

We are on a 3 games in 8 days thing right now, but Morris will be here for it. At Miami midweek, then SKC here.

We have 2 more upcoming. 6/29 (at NE), 7/3 (Nash), and 7/6 (TFC). Then 7/13 (at LAFC), 7/17 (Charlotte) and 7/20 (at Atlanta).

The window opens 7/18, so the 7/20 match is possible, but doubtful. Then we get the Leagues Cup break.

I'd love for us to land someone out of contract so the window is not a factor.

But as for Chambost, I think he is a top 15 guy if not a surefire starter: Schulte, Moreira, Camacho, Cheberko, Nagbe, Zawadzki, Farsi, Yeboah, Matan, Rossi, Cucho + Bush, Amundsen, Chambost, Ramirez.

JRR, Arfsten, Hinestroza, & Jones are still firmly in the 20, but still next level down for me. Not firmly in the circle of trust yet. JRR & Arfsten are getting close.

14. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Sounds like we're getting 350k GAM even though we pivoted to Chambost. We need another #9 (look how good we play with Cr17) and a Morris replacement and I'll feel very good about our chances. Unless the trade if off or the business person I talked to confused trade and transfer (of Morris) I think we may see another move soon

15. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    By the sounds of it, he would have been a good fit. Wonder why it fell through.

TRUJDUB21 and TrueCrew repped this.
  16. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    I can't entertain the idea that Bez's last act before leaving the team would be trading its star CM without backfilling the position and leaving a U22 slot and a DP spot empty. What would be the point of carrying such a lean roster for the first half of the season, when you're playing a ton of games on short rest, just to be a seller in the summer and not make a run at repeating?

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB21 and Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd like to thnk that after nearly 30 years peope would know the diference between a trade and a transfer, but that's probably asking too much.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  18. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Info from a guy who is solely on the business side. Not 100% confident he does know the difference unless we see a trade soon.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Morris is actually up to 103 appearances across all comps. He should hit 105 before he departs. He’d be around 130-140 if it weren’t for his injury.

Also, he was a consistent starter in 2022, 2023, and this season. That’s two and a half seasons.

TRUJDUB21 and TrueCrew repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And wildly qualified for the Crew Ring of Honor, if the team ever decides to have one.

Not many guys in the league can say that at age 22.

Sagz, TrueCrew, LastOfEleven and 2 others repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1821 Bill Archer, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    Well, if the Crew is getting $350k in Garberbux, it means the club filed for.his rights and sold them on. So from the outside, it appears that Bez & Co. decided to go in another direction, ie another player. Which seems to indicate that they found someone they like better. Otherwise, you tell St. Looie to go pound sand.

Or maybe it's the beer. Been smoking a brisket since 2 am and it's thirsty work.

TRUJDUB21, soccerncbus, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is just a guess, but maybe we did not want to committ to our DP move that early and/or thought Chambost for TAM + another DP gives us a better package than Hartel as a DP + TAM signing.

That is what I am hoping.

POdinCowtown and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that. I belatedly figured out he was over 100 in all comps, but I mistakenly posted it in another thread.

FWIW, I got 102.

81 MLS Regular Season + 7 Playoffs + 8 CCC + 3 USOC + 3 Leagues Cup = 102.

Where am I off?

24. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    To plan an intraleague trade this far out from the window opening while seemingly still playing everyone makes me think he is confused but then again Morris played last night

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  25. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am going to try to get clarity this week. Tbf ever since Steve Lyons left I don't trust the people as much