MLS Cup at Neutral Site...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by junior21, Jan 4, 2010.

1. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got this in an email:

2. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup in Philly this year!

3. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put my money on RBA

4. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    But it is supposed to be neutral and that would mean...yeah, you're right: RBA it is.

5. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. :D

6. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usually they announce the hosting city for the Cup around Draft time. Maybe Garber will make the announcement the day of the Draft.

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it'll be at a neutral site again this year, but it sounds like they thought pretty seriously about moving it to the higher seeded team's place. Maybe next year they'll finally reach a point where they're comfortable with moving it.

8. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe they will move it to HDC.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the league chickened out when they looked at the stats and realized that the Crew actually won the Supporters Shield 3 out of the past 6 years!

10. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they want to guarantee a neutral site, take the game to BMO Field.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking part of the reason was because they still don't think they control enough stadia to make it feasible.

Plus, the good thing about knowing in advance is that there's enough time to plan all the other events (Supporters Summit, pub events, etc.) and have enough time so everyone can make travel plans.

12. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Chester, but this game needs to be in Jersey.

I love Hunt Park, but RBA is the jewel of MLS.

13. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree...Having the final in Toronto is the only way to be sure it will be in a neutral venue. :)

14. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does RBA have a full roof or is it partial?

15. nationalsoccerradio

nationalsoccerradio New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'd love to see the league do something the NFL should have done years ago for the Superbowl: set up a 4 city rotation of warm weather cities where the championship game will be played. My choices would be San Diego, Miami, Las Vegas and New Orleans. Just use existing stadiums and block off the seats like Seattle does until you sell it out.

The benefits:

1. More exposure for MLS into new markets
    2. A guaranteed destination every year, similar to how the Final Four and Super Bowl are done now, but with the added flavor of how the BCS Championship game rotates every year.
    3. A surefire 4-day weekend trip every year.

I know the skeptics will say "you'll never sell 20k-30k seats in a non-MLS city." Personally, I think you could find a segment of 20k people in any of those cities just due to their populations that would come out for one soccer game every four years (other than Las Vegas, but that's a high travel destination which wouldn't have a problem), never mind the thousands of MLS fans from cold-weather regions who would take a trip to any of those cities just to get out of the November weather, even if their team isn't playing.

I know it would never happen in a million years, but I'd love to have an excuse to go to San Diego and Miami once every two years.

16. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

Is there anywhere to play in any of those 4 cities that isn't a torn-up football field, or FieldTurf?

Plus, you won't get 20k-30k @ one of those sites, and MLS fans don't travel to actual MLS cities for the finals in huge numbers, let alone somewhere else.

And, lastly, the NFL shouldn't do that either.

17. Mitch the Butcher

May 12, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Partial but all seats are covered, I believe.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They tried this with Orlando and San Diego. IIRC, the San Diego experiment was a miserable failure.

19. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Are you talking about MLS? :confused:

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I would point out those are All-Star Games, but I think the basic idea still applies...

22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's about time that Hunt Park gets another All-Star game or MLS Cup. PH Park got 2 in a row and HDC is sucking MLS's wang half the time. We need respect dammit. DCU talks tradition. Get your own stadium, bitch. We've had ours for 10 years now.

23. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hunt Park won't get anything while there are new stadiums are popping up across the country. You can forget about us getting the All Star or MLS Cup in Columbus any time soon

24. nationalsoccerradio

nationalsoccerradio New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get into arguing semantics here, but I wouldn't call 34k in Orlando or 23k in San Diego a "miserable failure" (and nevermind that those were All-Star games, and not championship games). Save for the 46k Seattle brought to the table this year (which was fantastic, by the way), those numbers are comparable to what you would get in nearly any other MLS city for MLS Cup with two weeks notice were the league to switch to a non-neutral site.

Also, the two teams in MLS Cup this season would have destroyed the All-Star teams that drew those numbers. Much better players in the year 2009 equals a much more watchable game that actually hands out hardware. More fans? Maybe / maybe not. But I think you sell the league short.

Again, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. But would you have thought more about going to MLS Cup if it were in sunny Miami as opposed to Seattle this year if your team wasn't in it? Many non-diehards would have. And the only way to TRULY guarantee it's a neutral site is to put it in a non-MLS city in the first place.

Again, it's just a nice thought, MLS will never do it.

25. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get the best game in North America every four years. I prefer that over an all star game, or even the Cup.