Post-match: MLS Cup 2008

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Nov 23, 2008.

1. bob.os

bob.os Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Clintonville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Obviously I wish I were with the multitudes drinking in LA rather than stuck here in Indiana posting my thoughts . . . but it is what it is, and I just couldn't be more thrilled with this win.

Fitting mastery on display by GBS, as mentioned, and also fantastic that Moreno and Frankie, who symbolize this team's spirit and work ethic, scored. Danny O lost his balance a few times, but really came up big when needed. Basically, everyone did what they had to.

There was that awkward moment, after getting outclassed and outworked for a half hour, and when it looked as though Gino might be done. But the team came back with a flourish, as they've done all season. And how badly must it have killed NY's spirits to give up Marshall's header after working so hard for the equalizer?

I do think that I've seen boxing referees do more to protect fighters than Toledo did to protect Moreno. (In fact, I think more was done to protect Kim from Mancini), but he called it that way for both teams, so I can't complain.

Amazing season and championship, and it is truly time to get drunk.

Safe home, all you brilliant travelling supporters.

3. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one story that is MASSIVE in itself has been Duncan Oughton. The guy has been through it all,the best and the worst, worse than we have on our jobs perhaps, and he has that medal. That's the beauty of the game.

AP stuff:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our playoff goals:

Kansas City, Leg 1
    Steven Lenhart, 92'+ (Alejandro Moreno)
    Kansas City, Leg 2
    Brad Evans, 7' (Brian Carroll)
    Robbie Rogers, 58' (Alejandro Moreno, Guillermo Barros Schelotto)
    Chicago, ECF
    Chad Marshall, 49' (Guillermo Barros Schelotto)
    Eddie Gaven, 55' (Alejandro Moreno, Guillermo Barros Schelotto)
    New York, MLS Cup
    Alejandro Moreno, 31' (Guillermo Barros Schelotto)
    Chad Marshall, 53' (Guillermo Barros Schelotto)
    Frankie Hejduk, 82' (Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Eddie Gaven)

Anyone noticing a trend?

5. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost want to cry. We've gone through so much.....this is well deserved. I am very glad Frankie got to score a goal.

I will definitely go to the airport if I can figure out when they are coming back.

6. CrewDuff

CrewDuff Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Eastgate
    Un. Freaking. Believable.

7. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic game.

A huge shout-out to the faithful in Carson city and to locals that came in support of the Crew.

A happy, go f--k yourself to Don the Chimp. Columbus Screw? Captain Guillermo Barros Schelotto? What a piece of work.

Major congratulations to Guillermo Barros Schelotto for his three assists, Alejandro Moreno for never quitting, massive header by Chad Marshall, and who better to get the insurance goal than Frankie Hejduk. Gina Padula for gutting out the game playing hurt against a faster Richards. To Baldomero Toledo for issuing that caution to Leitch early; showing that whacking Rogers wasn't going to be tolerated. And to all the players that played that silent role of getting the job done and shutting the middle down.

Thanks to other teams for congratulations.

Time to go celebrate with some homemade chili and beers.

8. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it! I love this team. I love every bit of my heart and soul i put into this team and lost. I love wasting all the money i spent on this team. I love the frustration i was giving and the elation i was granted. I love it all because today, today it was worth it. Every single bit!. What a great day to be a Crew fan.

Suck it Garber, Suck it TFC, Suck it Chicago, Suck it Sanneh, Suck it Razov, Suck it Herron, and Suck it Mcbride. We are the champions and you all suck!

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, legends set trends. What more can you say? :D

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

and with this, aaron d is the early leader for post of the day.

11. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    You know it pained that asshat to declare Columbus MLS Champions. He can frickin deal with it.

Seconded. Cheers to all for the kind words. We'll see you next year.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. thebreather

thebreather Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    We have the Cup. 2008, storybook year. Wish i could have been in LA with you guys. You sounded great on TV.

Absolutely massive.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I WANT THIS FRAMED ON MY WALL!!!!

15. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any way to purchase this from AP and send to Fatheadz? Imagine this in 4'x6' glory stuck to your wall?

16. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

GREAT F-ING PICTURE , its says it all !!!!!!!!

17. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Just a little side note, the great state of Ohio is now home to the USL-2 Champions as well as MLS Champions.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    great stuff from mitchell at the dispatch site about the red bulls supporters entry to the stadium...

CARSON, Calif. – The Red Bulls supporters section just made a grand entrance. It would have been grander had the emo kid in the cardigan and his bubblegum band not have been blaring from the concourse.

i think it's a perfectly fitting entrance.

20. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First off, what an outstanding match. I agree with the sentiment posted earlier by aaron when he said every but of time and money that I thought I wasted on this club was cashed in today. Incredible run, incredible to see the black and gold lifting the trophy.....just incredible.

Now, to the quoted bit above. What. A. Clown. The fact that this guy runs a league is an abomination.

But it's all about us today, Donny. Lick it.

21. deadhamlet44

deadhamlet44 Member

Sep 15, 2005
    columbus
    from MLS net:

"Crew goalkeeper William Hesmer was the first player in the 13-year history of the MLS Cup to celebrate his birthday on Cup Final Day. And, of course, celebrate he did, not called upon to make a single save in the contest"

Wow somebody looked at the Saves line and forgot the whole score thing. ( I bet Garber did it)

Oh well, still a heck of a way to celebrate a birthday.

22. Natsoccer

Natsoccer Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Valencia, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Columbus for one of the greatest games I have ever been to. I couldn't have asked for anything more than to be right in the middle of a huge group of diehard Cbus fans. The third goal especially was a thing of beauty.

Oh, and you're welcome for Moreno and Sigi ;)

23. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game. I'm thrilled. I've got nothing left.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Congrats. You truly are a massive club.

25. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    HuntKop, nice meeting you. I have some great photos of Fado. All business will come later---I met my obligations at Elmo Live today and now I am off to party. PARTY!!!! I love every know it all and asshole that posts on BigSoccer, i love everyone I have met along the way in these past seasons. Most of all, I love this team. I am off to destroy my liver and what remains of my voice. We are top of the league, say we are top of the league! COLUMBUS!!! COLUMBUS!! Columbus 'til i die, Columbus 'til I die! I know I am, I swear i am, Columbus 'til I die! We love you, we love you, we love you, and where you go we'll follow, we'll follow, we'll follow! 'Cause we support Columbus, Columbus, Columbus, and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it, WOOO OHHH OHHH OHHHHHH!!!!!!

Birdaflickle!!!1