MLS Cup 2004 - Who gets to wear their home colors?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Knave, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If those dumbasses or cheap asses (I am not sure which) at MLS and ABC can't figure out the difference between black and blue, then they should broadcast the game in black and white like some old Gilligan's Island episode.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It can't be that ********ing hard.

2. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    What I was once told by a TV guy is part of the problem is with the cameras. The screen on the camera is (or was) black and white. When the producer wanted a close-up, they would say "Camera 2 white #7" (or something like that), and the camera guy could do it quickly. When both teams would have jerseys that came up black or white, the camera guy could not tell the difference, or it would take longer to get the shot the producer wanted.

The monitor in the truck thing was also a factor, but not the sole reason.

I know it sounds stupid, but this was some of the reasoning from a guy who worked with production of matches in the first few seasons.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game doesn't need to have a road kit. As people have said earlier, they are different enough. Last year was red v blue and it worked fine, and looked better.

4. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    They should be allowed to both wear their home colors.

5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I think the vistory wearing white practice started with the NFL in the late 50s or early 60s, when TV and newspaper photos were still published in black and white. Then two primary colors often translated into very similar shades of gray and could be difficult to distinguish. You can still see it in some of the old photos and films.

With color TV the norm and color pictures used in most, if not all, major newspapers, there's no longer any reason for the old rule. There might be a problem if two teams had the same or similar colors (KC and SJ or DC and C'bus in black, for example) but KC blue and DC in black should not be a problem at all.

The MLS website has KC listed as "home team" and DC as "visitor."

6. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    At this point in MLS stupidity (and believe me, we've gone far that route)they should just play shirts and skins...or would that offend the Christian Right as well ?? :p

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Of course we all know that it's because MLS teams aren't always allowed to wear their "primary" jerseys at MLS Cup that the Eurosnobs turn their noses up at MLS.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and the lack of the away goals rule.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year, colors shouldn't be a problem even if ABC uses black-and-white monitors in the production van. Black and sky blue are going to look different no matter what kind of monitor you're using.

10. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Exactly...and that's why Eurosnobs also turn their noses up at the French League, who have the same "away whites" policy... :rolleyes:

"Thank you sir....may i have another....<----SLAP--->!"

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that both teams get to wear their home uniforms after all. :D

Apparently, unlike the Earthquakes', Revolution's and Rapids' blue, ABC has deemed the Wizards' blue light enough to be distinguishable at a distance from DC United's black uniforms.

-G