MLS Cup 2004 - Who gets to wear their home colors?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Knave, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ideally I like to see both teams wear their home jerseys, but I have a feeling one will be decked out in the road whites. But how will they determine which team does that? Is there a coin toss or some standard they apply? I know it's a piddly little thing, but I really like to know.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike last year's contestants, both of this year's teams have home colors that are too close to each other... so as you stated, one of the teams will wear its road whites.

My guess is that DC will have to wear its away uniform, as KC had the better regular-season record.

-G

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope the HDC isn't as SANDY as it was last year. It was really disconcerting to see sand kicking up as players ran down the field. The field just didn't seem to be in great shape. Oh well, I'm probably just being too picky.

4. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would think, for marketing purposes, DC would be in their home jerseys.
    Adu is the only thing that makes this MLS Cup, worth watching for some people, and throughout the commercials, Adu is always wearing the DC home jersey.

5. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Wait, sky blue and black are too similar?

get our of here. Primary jerseys people. That's what the final should be.

6. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Last I checked, DC black and KC blue arent colors that look alike...unless i actually have my eyes closed...then i could see your point... :rolleyes:

Then again, with MLS bigwigs heads up their asses, it wouldn't surprise in the least of "away whites" policy taking hold yet again...i have a theory that it will only be when people here realize that the French League also has this away whites policy that change will be made. Oh the irony...

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    KC wore their blue jerseys at DC in 2002.

As to the thread starter, KC is the higher seed and will have choice of locker room and jersey. I believe DC gets choice of practice timeslot and something else, but I forget.

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both should be able to wear their first choice colors. If they force one team to wear all-white, it would be a major piss-off.

9. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Hopefully DC will go with the white top/black shorts look that they used a few times last season. Looks much better than the all-white thing (no offense to Ryan Nelsen).

10. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    DC should be allowed to wear black. That is one of our marquee names, the 'Black and Red'...

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    In what universe are black and light blue too close to one another? If KC wore a dark blue (like say NE) I'd agree with you.

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why that would be a problem.

Light blue jerseys against dark black jerseys? Seems pretty dissimilar to me.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be that Garber and Co. go with DCU in their all black and K.C. in a white top but blue shorts/ white socks. That's a classy way to avoid the all white away crap and yet keep the ABC production crew from having their say. Don't those crews have all color monitors anyway these days???? WTF? It's 2004 not 1974 ABC!

14. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABC had no problem doing the San Jose - Chicago final last year, when both teams wore their first choice colors (deep blue, red). I can't imagine any reason why both teams this year shouldn't be allowed to wear their first choice colors.

Personally, I hope the fetish with boring all-whites for all teams is the first thing to get rid of next season. It deprives the teams of any personality. Each team should be free to choose their second (and even third if necessary) choice colors.

Now if some teams really want to designate all-white as one of their choices, it's up to them. But it shouldn't be a forced choice like this season.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just prior MLS Cup 2000, it was rumored that KC would wear its blue while Chicago would wear its red, though the Fire ended up wearing its white instead.

The reason given was that the people operating the black & white monitors in the ABC trucks wouldn't be able to tell the two teams apart if both teams wore their home colors. Thankfully, though, that didn't seem to be a problem for last year's MLS Cup final.

Is what ABC said back in 2000 true, or was it total BS (not BigSoccer)... and if so, then what was the real reason for Chicago wearing its white against KC?

-G

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Question...

Does it matter what color they wear?

Huh, didn't think so.

17. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    Anyone with common sense know's that there will be more people pulling for DC because of it's past and because of Freddy Adu. So expect DC to wear their home colors and i hope DC kicks Kc's ass!!!!!!!!!! It would also be nice to see some history made (hint hint:ADU)

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly wouldn't affect the play on the field, but having both teams wear their home colors (assuming they're not too similar to each other) as they did in last year's Cup final is simply more aesthetically-pleasing, particularly important for a national telecast.

-G

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I believe DC United gets choice of when to pick up the MLS Cup! :)

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not BS. The production truck used for MLS Cup 2000 used black/white monitors. Chicago - the lower seed - was forced to switch jerseys to make the job of of the TV guys easier.

21. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell are they using black and white Monitors on a Production truck? I'm no TV Producer, or even communications major. But WTH? By the Way, Brazil v Germany, both teams wore there Primary Kits. Brazil in Yellow and Germany in White. Barring any stupidity i HAVE overlooked, the same should follow for the MLS Cup Final. Black and White TVs weren't a problem then.

22. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DC will wear white if only for the fact that it would maintain a pattern:

1996: White (W)
    1997: Black (W)
    1998: White (L)
    1999: Black (W)

For the superstitious, thankfully they've won no matter which color the team wore.

23. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't think you are being picky, you just want to see a good looking field for them to play on. I'm the same way.

Another thing that made last years game somewhat annoying to watch was how when the players would run into the shadow of the roof, you could barely see them. I don't know if ABC could have done anything to improve the picture or not but it made it hard to follow the action.

This year though, we may get lucky. www.weather.com says the LA area will have a 50% chace of rain on Friday, 30% chance of rain on Saturday, 10% chance of rain on Sunday, and temps all week in the mid 60's. Partly cloudy skies on Sunday may keep the roof shadow down and rain a day or two earlier may green up the grass well.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Do you have a clue?

Brazil vs Germany - World Cup Final is one of the biggest sporting events on the planet.

MLS Cup 2000 - barely a blip on the American sporting scene. The weekend of October 15th, 2000 would have MLB playoffs, NFL and NCAA football, not to mention preseason NHL and NBA action that all would get first dibs on video production truck rentals over Major League Soccer.

25. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true. So what was the story last year when we actually got see both teams play in their colors?

Really? So why not make every team have the same color home uniform and an all white away - if it doesn't matter what color they wear?