MLS Coverage on Sportscenter

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by irishFS1921, Aug 11, 2002.

1. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    MLS on Sportscenter? Has that EVER happened? We are completely under their radar.

Oh, and I hate them with the intensity of 100 suns.

2. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I think Extra Time went away when the league started buying its TV time instead of being paid for it (ok, technically it's a barter deal, but you know).

So the network doesn't have anything to gain, not much anyway, with promoting the league. They got the World Cup rights in exchange for running the league matches, and I guess the league gets the ad revenue - (is that right).

To be honest, some show on at midnight or whenever isn't really going to do anything for me anyway. I have to work in the morning. I just get the Shootout and see most of it live anyway.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US National team has always received fair treatment on Sportscenter.

However, you seem to be confusing the numbers I gave you with MLS ratings since you seem to be equating US ratings with MLS coverage.

It will be a long long long time before MLS makes a blip on the ratings radar.

Andy

4. penquinref

penquinref New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    new jersey
    But how can you not watch little league when our man Jack is calling the game !!!(I guess the Sumo season is over) Watch 12 year olds play in a "FULL INTERNATIONAL"!!!!!!

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a big difference between high school football and 12 year olds playing baseball.

High school sports on TV is insane. Are we that big a nation of losers that we will watch 16 year olds play football and basketball on TV? Little league baseball on national TV is insane. I love soccer but I wouldn't watch an under-14 soccer game on TV.

I'm 34 years old - why the frig would I want to watch some pre-teens I don't even know play any game on TV. Evidently some people do, but I think they are by and large losers who need to get their own lives.

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Actually I wasn't confusing them so much as intentionally commingling them by logical extension. If U.S. Soccer is popular as demonstrated solely by your market numbers, then perhaps MLS has a larger market as well. Highlights would be deserved not by MLS's market share alone so much as soccer's market share. In other words, 30 seconds at 11:55 on Saturday night could be justified by arguing that soccer -- and by extension MLS-- has popularity. C'mon I've seen WNBA highlights that aren't justified by their league's market share, but rather by basketball's market share.

Do you have data on how MLS does vis-a-vis other 4-6 pm shows on ESPN2 (other than football). Even a tiny ratings blip (from 75th to 65th) could justify those 30 seconds I'm looking for.

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that is the whole crux of the issue.

People who watch and go to US games don't necc. go to and watch MLS games.

MLS ratings are too small to garner any more attention than they already get.

MLS's constant battle to get soccer fans in the US to follow their league is one of the main reasons you can not co-mingle these numbers.

Apples and oranges.

If the WNBA was instead named ABL, it would get no coverage (just as the real ABL got no coverage).

WNBA does not get coverage because basketball is popular, it gets coverage because Disney is in bed with the NBA.

MLS deserves no more coverage than Arena Football does but you don't see a ton of Arena highlights just because the NFL is popular do you?

Andy

8. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    A-ha! I think I've got you there -- I've seen 30 seconds of Arena highlights. Keep in mind, that's all I'm asking for, and I understand sometimes ESPN provides that much. I agree that MLS doesn't deserve much more, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think the league deserves that much coverage.

9. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you don't have me because, as you said and everyone knows, Sports Center does show MLS highlights, probably as sporadically as Arena highlights.

Andy

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the World Cup this year, MLS Extratime could not be justified by either MLS or ESPN this year, they were already devoting so much time and resources to their World Cup package already, ExtraTime just didn't fit into the scene this year.

Also, the ratings for Extratime last year were "disappointing" and diidn't provide much momentum for it being shown again this year.

There is "talk" (vague as it is) of having some sort of MLS/Yanks Abraod/WUSA/all-inclusive US soccer tv highlights show, but that's all it is, "talk". Beau Dure of USA Today had a column on this (or a mention anyway) about a month or more ago.

When I emailed him about it, he said MLS pays attention to what us BigSoccer posters (and other devoted fans) have to say on things like this, and if we were all screaming for a highlights show in one form or another - one that could somehow work in the context of ESPN and the financials of MLS/SUM - it would be paid attention to, though obviously no one could promise anything. His point was MLS/SUM is open to any ideas about promoting MLS/US Soccer on tv and are all ears.

Something like that anyway. I don't have his email anymore. I'm going on memory.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Isn't that a little harsh? I enjoy watching the Little League World Series cuz its fun to see all those little kids having the time of their life. Does that make me a loser? and i definatly have a life. Soccer fans can be the mose xenophobic people on earth. If its not soccer, and if soccer doesn't do it, then its wrong. Haven't you even been a 12 year old playing sports??? I was and watching the LLWS is sooo nostalgic. There is nothing evil or wrong about watching 12 year olds have the time of their life playing baseball witht he best of their age group in the world, and getting a little attention from the country for a few weeks. maybe you should relax and go play catch with your son

12. MDFootball

MDFootball New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DC
    nah he's right, theres better things to show than little league, wanna watch 11 year olds play sports go down to the park and enjoy it in person, sorry, and yes even if it was soccer I'd feel the same way; it was so funny when my roommate last year came here to study from england hoping to catch some premiership or any soccer basically and saw little league baseball, the reaction was priceless :);and dont get me started on ESPN's obsession with the spelling bee and its freaky champion, that was just plain weird...

13. aguilas #1

aguilas #1 New Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Chicago
    I have to agree with you guys on this.Sportscenter overdoes it with the baseball highlights.I don't really need to see highlights from every single game.Soccer rarely gets any major coverage on Sportscenter.I mean they show more golf and NASCAR highlights on SC than they do soccer.Personally I think both of those sports are lame.I really don't care who wins the Buick Invitational or the Brickyard 400,show me some soccer!!!!!!

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree here. I like baseball and soccer pretty much equally. However, I think Sportscenter goes overboard with some of their highlights. I mean, at this point in the season there is no reason for us to be subjected to Brewers vs Marlins highlights (or lowlights). Just show the score for the nine fans who care about that game and move on. They should show games that are relevant to pennant races, but with MLS heading into the stretch run, they could show at least a few match highlights.

As for the LLWS, yeah it turns into a huge media thing, but right now they are only in the regional stages, and again I think MLS deserves at least as much recognition. Public perception, especially for kids, is shaped hugely by the media. If they showed MLS highlights, they could get kids to think "hey, soccer is as good as any other sport, and its worth watching MLS".

SportsCenter has been crap for a while now, really for the past few years. It started to go downhill when they made every show a full hour, and now it seems that they just fill it with crap that no one cares about. I much prefer ESPNEWS for my sports scores and highlights.

15. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Yeah, I'm still wondering, too. I posted the same question a few months ago & someone said they weren't doing it (at least this year.) A shame, if ya ask me. That's what we need for the league.

16. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Moments

Oh yes, let them have their moment, but where the He!! is ours? Seven years, S-E-V-E-N YEARS!!!!! And why not some youth soccer competions on SportsCenter, ey!! EXPLAIN THAT!

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Moments

I was thinking something along these lines today, when I was in a sportsbar trying desperately to enjoy DC vs. SJ while about thirty people complained constantly about the game being on ONE OF the freaking TV's.
    We've got a ways to go...

But highlights, why the hell not? I mean, I KNOW why, I just wish they'd show a LITTLE sense of public service. Not just soccer, but college lacrosse, Olympic sports, etc. Be a TRUE sports center.
    If you've ever seen EuroSport in Europe, you'd know what I mean. They cover a little of everything (and a whole mess of soccer, naturally!). They don't just cover the big-money stuff, they REALLY cover sports all over Europe.

Sad that ESPN does differently. Just because it's a business enterprise doesn't mean they couldn't go with a slightly more enlightened agenda.

18. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Re: Re: Moments

I agree. Why don't we just call it Baseball-MLBCenter and make another show for all the other sports including: soccer, tennis, swimming, (my second favorite sport of all) lacrosse, cricket.... you get the idea, right?

19. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sportscenter, regardless of what they show, has decreased in quality since they were bought by Disney (ABC). While this does have some upsides (such as soccer on 3 channels instead of 2), Sportscenter now focuses more on the "entertainment" part of the show, so much so that the amount of sports news you received has decreased.

Hopefully most of you have realized that you can't rely upon the media to make soccer into a big sport (or at least garner some highlights.) Keep turning up to games, maintaining positive correspondence with media outlets that do support soccer, buy merchandise of MLS teams and most of all stay optimistic.

20. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I've said this in 12 other threads like this...

People who don't watch MLS aren't going to start because their highlights on SportsCenter.

People who do watch MLS aren't going to stop because their highlights aren't on SportsCenter.

I still think people should worry locally...is the evening news showing enough MLS highlights on game night? Does your local paper have a paid beat writer, not a stringer? Does the writer travel with the team?

21. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    I don't see why this is so hard for you to grasp. Having highlights on SportsCenter is basically an advertisement.

People who like soccer may tune into MLS if they see a couple highlights and ESPN gives the impression that MLS is le git. People who would watch MLS but forget to would be reminded by these highlights.

It's not so much, are we gonna get new viewers, but getting our base to watch the games.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    And you've been wrong in 12 other threads. So wrong it boggles the mind. Exposure to millions of people will increase interest. And it will influence many people who already follow the sport to pay even more attention.

Of course, I'm sure you're one of those who claim that advertising doesn't work either.

I really can't believe anyone is debating this. It truly is self-evident. If Sportscenter devoted 5 minutes a day to soccer, would MLS be the #1 league in the country? No, of course not. But it would be stronger than it is now.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with BenReilly, of course, as this is about as straightforward as it gets. Regular coverage on the biggest sports show in the nation translates into legitamacy, more exposure, etc.
    Take me, for example. I was never into soccer--didn't have it in rural Nebraska when I was growing up, and I wasn't a jock at any rate. But I'd always WISHED we had soccer--I'm tall, slender, small hands, lousy hand-eye coordination, not much upper body strength--but I have great balance on my feet, and I love games involving a lot of non-stop running (backyard football, for example--more like rugby the way we played it, of course). We played soccer in grade school as kids, sort of, and I always suspected I would have been good at it.

Well, now I'm in my 30's, looking to settle down, buy a house, get a job with regular hours so I can join an intermural team for begineers. So that takes care of the playing thing.
    But I didn't become a spectator until 1998, in the third year of the league. Why? None of my friends were into soccer, so the topic was never breached.
    Had their been more regular coverage, I might have stumbled onto MLS a little sooner. Of course, I was at a point in my life where I was pretty cut off from many things (didn't even have a TV the inaugaral season, for example), but still. That's two seasons and the beginning of the third I missed.

Once I discovered we had a pro league in this country, I was all over it. A shame I didn't learn sooner.

24. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Sportscenter shows Nascar highlights. I don't like Nascar, so I don't watch it.

Sportscenter shows golf highlights. I find golf primarily boring to watch on television, so I don't watch it.

Sportscenter shows NBA highlights. I find the NBA to be boring because there's no strategy, so I don't watch it.

Sportscenter shows all these highlights, more so than MLS, but they don't make me want to watch the sport.

People like Big are the exception to the rule, where highlights on Sportscenter convert them.

World Cup highlights were shown a lot on Sportscenter, but that hasn't shown any appreciable increase of attendance because of it.

I live in Chicago...we have a succesful franchise here...I know, a lot of people in Dallas or LA hate us, but give us some credit. But our local media coverage here, relative to other teams, is a joke. The Blackhawks in each paper have two writers assigned to the team and hockey in general, and they get outdrawn by the Fire. I think getting the name in the papers of the local markets and on the local news is more important than marketing to people who are watching Sportscenter to see highlights of the sport(s) that they only care about.

I mean, judging by things I've read in this and other thread, the free "advertising" of baseball on SportsCenter hasn't converted a lot of people here.

25. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    The coverage for the Fire was never great, but this year, it has gotten worse than ever. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they are not playing in the city this year.