MLS Coverage on Sportscenter

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by irishFS1921, Aug 11, 2002.

1. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i just watched little league baseball highlights. no MLS highlights. little league was also in TOP PLAYS. this makes me SO mad. i bet you there were alot better plays today than in little league. couldn't they cut ONE SINGLE barry bonds clip and put some MLS stuff in?

what ever happened to MLS Extra Time?

2. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I would rather watch a Litle League World Series game than a MLS game. The LLWS is a big deal ESPN and ABC push it heavily. MLS, whats that ?

3. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    there's nothing more exciting than watching 13 year olds make errors blowing entire games and "slugging away" the pitchers get ridiculous strike zones. little league baseball players have talent. but come on. they aren't as good as you say they are not good enough for their highlights and such. and the national attention.

4. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I know but it only happens once a year so let the kids have their moment.

5. TRC Real Sociedad

TRC Real Sociedad New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Long Beach CA
    FRENCH FOOTBALL HAHAHAHAHA

I would rather watch little league then French football anyday of the week, the French blow.

Ex A 2002 World Cup

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    WHo cares, a good part of the country watches it. Thats all that matters to ESPN.

7. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now people are venting out at 13 year old kids who are probably having the greatest moment of their lives.

You have to draw the line somewhere

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering all the issues I have with ESPN, I have to say that showing coverage of a bunch of unpaid kids playing for a love of the game ranks pretty low on my list of beefs.

9. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    their 12 not 13

11. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of them are 19. :eek:

But we have Freddy Adu, he's 22, so we can't complain about the baseball kids' true ages'

12. eagleterp

eagleterp New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    washington, dc
    llws vs mls

look, i'm as much of an idealist as anyone when it comes to the innocence of kids playing sports and allowing them to perform on a grand stage , having the time of their life etc... but when are people going to make excuses for why soccer should be on tv? every other sport gets justified. we hear the other sports get more moneyor more scoring, or tradition, or any number of other excuses. yet no one in the media makes the case for soccer on tv. really, no one's asking for exclusive sportscenter coverage, just throw us a rundown of scores and a highlight or two in the summer when nothing else is going on but baseball.

make some excuses for soccer to be on tv.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. MetroDug

MetroDug Member

May 4, 1999
    New York, NY USA
    The bombs that Stiochkov and Daniel Hernandez scored this weekend didn't make SportsCenter, huh?

yet we get the New York times waxing poetic about the fluidity of a chippy 0-0 game between "Europeans".

The biggest problem facing MLS IMO is its IMAGE. Perception is reality.

15. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    What is this Sportscenter you speak of??

16. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Very helpful information. However, couldn't you also turn around and argue based on those numbers that soccer doesn't get a fair share of coverage, given that U.S. games in 2001 (not even the World Cup) were consistently Top 10 games for ESPN2?

Moreover, I don't want to take away time from Little League highlights, but I do wonder why there can't be 30 seconds once a week (Saturday night) on Sportscenter where the scores for that week's MLS games pop up. Seems like your numbers suggest there's at least a soccer audience of some kind.

17. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have sent three e-mails to ESPN and ESPN News over the last three weeks asking them why they do not show MLS highlights on Sports Center? I get the usual automatic response thanking me for my input and assuring me that the e-mail will be forwarded to the correct department and a response will come within the next two weeks. Of course I have not heard one word from ESPN. However, I will continue to send them e-mails once a week until I get a response.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    any of you ever consider the fact that Little League baseball been part of the very fabric of this country for over a 100 years? I'm not talking sport but COUNTRY. You people living in America actually wonder WHY Little league world series gets so much coverage? Maybe you turn the computer off and step outside. I love soccer but that doesn't automatically mean i have to dislike baseball and be jealous of it.

19. mr.acorn

mr.acorn New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    MLS highlights on Sportscenter:

1-Don't hold you're breath.

2-On the off chance they do show them, make sure you don't blink for the entire 60 minutes...you 're likely to miss them.

Sportcenter should show BOTH the Little League World Series and MLS highlights and cut down on the over-kill of Baseball and NFL pre-season.

20. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    It has nothing to do with soccer, but showing games and highlights of 12-year olds playing is destructive and horrible.

21. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    But the Priests love it, and you know that's the money demp ESPM is after

22. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    I saw highlights on a SportsCenter following a Soccer Saturday game in Naperville a couple weeks ago, and they showed 3 goals I believe. It was in the last 10 minutes of the show, but better than nothing.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    People have said this before but I am not quite sure as to why. I remember playing highschool football when I was 16, and it was the biggest thrill knowing that our game was going to be on TV. But could you explain why this would be "destructive" and "horrible"?

24. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    It's dawgpound2's opinion, but not an invalid one. Speaking for him (or echoing his sentiment anyway) I think folks aren't keen on young kids having so much pressure on winning and losing when they need to just be enjoying being a kid.

25. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i guess i'll ask again.