MLS Confidential on Contracts/Stadium

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Jul 26, 2002.

1. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Yes, that had something to do with it, too. The UC was built without any problems simply because both the Hawks and Bulls paid for it themselves.

Going to Solider Field was awesome. What is a real shame was the increased attendance last season before 9-11. They were drawing 13-15K on Wednesdays. I was only able to go to two games last year, but this year I've been to alot more. I loved Solider Field much better, but its now a big hole. Cardnial Stadium is what we have, so we are just going to have to deal with it right now. It's either this, or no soccer at all.

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't agree. I haven't found it bad. I hear the crowd cheering for good plays... getting excited over good chances... being angry about bad calls... livid about bad tackles... And having walked in just as Jim Curtin scored a goal... I know they're watching.

Give me a break. I'm sure it was the wide field that brought them in... you're right. Personally, I thought they looked pretty damned good on the narrow, fake field against the Metros not long ago.

No sellout? According to what I've read, NCC has a capacity of 14,200. Our last two Saturday matches had more than that.

This truly has nothing to do with my living around here. It's convenient as hell, but merely having a good attitude about it has nothing to do with where I live. If we were going to Beecher, I'd still be happier than Miami and Tampa Bay fans are these days.

I just don't understand the point of screaming, in all caps, that one is not going to renew season tickets, etc. if things aren't exactly as they should be. I don't even see the need to complain about much, really. Don't you think that the Fire front office knows that a lot of stuff about playing at Cardinal sucks??? Of course they know. Peter Wilt knows... the players know... Bob Bradley knows. Everybody knows.

But the constant complaining gets old... but you can't generalize and say exactly who the fans are. Like you said, I live here... according to your logic... I should be in some other section, sitting on my hands, talking to a couple of old ladies.

All I can think is that you've missed the last couple of games.

3. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i agree with blink. if you don't like it.
    1. quit crying about it. seriously grow up.
    2. don't go. i'm sure i could find a friend who will cheer twice as hard as you and enjoy the game twice as much. and they'll have the time of their life. i know it works too. i've braught quite a few friends and they all come back.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Not to mention the 5/26 San Jose game, the one where "1,000-1,500 people where turned away at the ticket booth"

5. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    There was a game against San Jose in May which was considered a sell-out. Capacity was at about 13,000 that game. The two games where the capacity was 10,000 drew 9,400 and 9,100. Both of those games was played in brutual weather. For the most part, I think the Fire are pleased with the attendance this season.

Other than opening day, where the weather didn't help, I haven't had a problem with going to NCC this season. Yes, they were a bit unprepared opening day, but its gotten better since. I live behind 290/294/88 so any location is convenient for me. However, I work in Lisle, and my mom was worked in Naperville since 1988. Being fimilar with the area is always nice. I also enjoyed sitting in section eight right on the field. I brought a friend along for the first time last Wednesday, and she wants to keep coming back. It's not a great place to play, but that's what we have. So, we just have to deal with it.

6. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    If you define a sellout as any time the announced attendance equals/exceeds the seating capacity of the venue, then there have been six sellouts @ Cardinal this year:

20 mar - attn 4844 - cap 4336
    27 apr - attn 9444 - cap 9176
    11 may - attn 9177 - cap 9176
    26 may - attn 13521 - cap 12472
    20 jul - attn 14432 - cap 14106
    27 jul - attn 14576 - cap 14106

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Alright, I have admittedly been on the anti-Naperville side of the fence, but I have consistently said that I will look at the entire season with an open mind.

But . . . the Metros game is a horrible example because they barely even moved much of the second half. It was like playing against 11 orange parking cones.

I don't think there can be any question that two teams playing hard on that field yields a pretty bad product. When one team folds their tent it creates the space that is normally lacking.

Having said that, I would have to give the atmosphere at Cardinal a thumbs up that seems to be improving every game. There have also been some nice size crowds. All of this feeds into the plus side of the ledger for where to locate a potential SSS, but unless they tear up the field and track, then NCC is nothing but a test tube.

8. thegod

thegod New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree, I sit in section 8 but not with the BarnBurners and I have noticed that more and more people outside of the BarnBurners are singing and clapping along. I think it just took them awhile to figure out what was being said.

And believe it or not when the BarnBurners where yelling at the fans in "their section" to stand up, several soccer dads in "my corner" made their kids get up and one guy even yelled at everyone around him "Get off your a**es!"

"you've got to admit, it's getting better..."

9. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I have noticed that too. But we can never be satisfied. Have to keep working.

10. JAMINDST

JAMINDST New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Terre Haute, IN
    I will agree that the atmosphere in naperville has been getting better but it is not even close to what it should be. I do not think it is close to being what it was a SF. I also think there is more to it that just naperville. The Fire aren't playing like they were last year at this time, the field just does fit the FIRE's playing style, and we have a different type of crowd outside of section 8 than we did at SF. I am not sure if you will ever get naperville to cheer like SF but section 8 can keep cheering and getting better. F#&K the rest of the crowd and lets just make section 8 better and louder. If we are lucky we will be some place better next year but I don't think the Fire will find a another home outside of SF in awhile. It is too bad we cannot get a nice small stadium downtown like you have in Europe. There is nothing like going to Elland Road.