MLS combine

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by lastword, Dec 4, 2003.

1. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
  2. soccerinstlouis

soccerinstlouis New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Thanks

Thanks for posting this and good luck on Saturday - should be a great game.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Here is the complete list of players. Obviously, adidas has replaced Umbro as the sponsor of this event.

adidas Aveiro
    GOALKEEPER: Zack Wells (UCLA);

DEFENDERS: Phil Hucles (College of William & Mary), Seth Stammler (University of Maryland), Leonard Griffin (UCLA);

MIDFIELDERS: Adam Crew (Brown University), Garthfield Whyte (Lynn University), Lindon Pecorelli (University of Connecticut), Jay Alberts (Yale University), Luke Vercollone (Seton Hall University), Andy Dorman (Boston University);

FORWARDS: Alan Gordon (Oregon State University), Kevin Ara (Harvard University), Simon Francis Bird (University of Louisville)

adidas F50
    GOALKEEPER: Troy Perkins (University of Evansville);

DEFENDERS: Jason Perry (Oakland University), Kevin Wickart (St. Louis University), Edwin Miranda (Cal State Northridge);

MIDFIELDERS: Jack Cummings (University of South Carolina), Mario Alberto Gonzalez (University of Tulsa), John Pulido (Florida International University), Marin Pusek (University of Alabama Birmingham), Scott Buete (University of Maryland), Angelo Joaquin Herrera (University of Maryland);

FORWARDS: Aaron Paye (Fairleigh Dickinson University), Joseph Ngwenya (Coastal Carolina University), Kirk Harwat (Akron University), Jamal Sutton (SW Missouri State)

adidas Predator Pulse
    GOALKEEPER: Matt Pickens (SW Missouri State);

DEFENDERS: David Wagenfuhr (Creighton University), Nick Gannon (St. Louis University), Chris Aloisi (Syracuse University);

MIDFIELDERS: Victor Guerrero (Cal State University Dominguez Hills), Andrew Pusateri (St. Louis University), Kevin Hudson (Southern Methodist University), Sumed Ibrahim (University of Maryland), Eric Cronkrite (University of Portland), Tighe Dombrowski (University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee), Guillermo Memo Arzate (University of California Santa Barbara);

FORWARDS: Attilo Vendegh (Old Dominion University), Jeremiah White (Wake Forest University), Malcom Cephas (Virginia Commonwealth University)

adidas Supernova
    GOALKEEPER: Matthew Haefner (University of Pennsylvania);

DEFENDERS: Josh Smith (Trinity University), Tony McManus (University of Alabama Birmingham), Gary Sullivan (Adelphi University), Adrian Jonathan Cann (University of Louisville);

MIDFIELDERS: Khari Stephenson (Williams College), Kenny Cutler (Clemson University), Ty Maurin (UCLA), Adolfo Gregorio (UCLA), Joshua Gros (Rutgers University);

FORWARDS: Matt Taylor (UCLA), Justin Detter (University of Notre Dame), Steven Kehoe (Rio Grande University)

4. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Jerry white (Wake Forest University)is the best of the lot. DCU should trade dema to whoever takes him first round! He would make a killer midfield with convey olson and Quintanilla. The teamed with Eskandarian and Freddy up top is bad ass. I would just move stewart to stopper and Nelson as sweeper makes this team solid in the back and dangerous throughout.

5. stl.bluz

stl.bluz New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    SMS keeper Matt Pickens probably one of the most overlooked keepers in the country. Good to see him invited to the combine, that tells me someone is paying attention to college teams other than top 25's.

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Pickens is indeed an excellent keeper. I believe he played for the Fire Reserve team that lost in the Championship game last summer. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikens latches on with the Fire or the Wizards.

7. Courey

Courey Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    The Kehoe kid from the University of Rio Grande in Ohio is a major sleeper in my opinion. I saw him play at the NAIA national championships at the end of November. A tenacious right back. Makes good decisions. Curiously, he's listed as a forward on the combine list.

8. Alej

Alej New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    South Orange, NJ
    I saw josh smith play in the semis and finals for trinity at drew, and he wasnt too impressive, probably the third best player on his team! maybe i just caught him on a bad day, but #19 and #2 were a lot better. on the other hand, khari stephenson is the real deal.

9. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon,

Adidas was the sponsor last year as well.

The three teams - in addition to the U.S. U20s - were: adidas Mania, adidas X-3s and adidas Supernova.

10. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    is jack cummiings any good

11. westy1

westy1 New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    this probably is the first time no player from i.u. has been chosen. unless grabavoy or moor come out

12. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Moor needs to come out.

Vedad needs to come out.

Dempsey needs to come out.

13. SocToLive

SocToLive New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Jay Alberts from Yale on the Aveiro.

Just like to say I called him out way back in the summer in thread about best college players in the coming season or something (Applause Applause)

For my next prediction, I say he gets picked up by NE joining up with all the STL boys up there (Twellman, Noonan, Ralston, Kamler)

FYI, when Alberts played for Busch in high school and Noonan played for Gallagher, Alberts would always mark Noonan in state cup play - talk about a helluva matchup, those two were on a whole nother level

14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    "The field of players was determined by a select panel of Division I college coaches in conjunction with MLS coaches and the consultation of select Division II, Division III and NAIA coaches."

So why would any MLS coach or GM in their right mind tip their hand and put a prospect on the combine list. All he's doing is giving his competition the chance to
    'catch up' to him after he's done all the dirty work scouting college and USL games.

I'm pretty sure Yallop didn't have Jamil Walker on the list of prospects he wanted to see at the combine, now did he?

So who gets invited:
    1) The college coaches pets
    2) The obvious big names
    3) Skanky players who have no chance, but might actually make one or two plays good enough to get another MLS coach to grab at straws during the actual draft.

And any coach but the Crew coach (#2 pick, after #1 Adu) who says he likes this player or that player publicly is blowing smoke. Rest assured.

15. melvin

melvin New Member

Aug 30, 2003
    dallas
    Due Time

Who gets invited? If your analysis is correct, Then I would ask; Are the "obvious big names" also "coaches Pets"? Also, Who, in your opinion would be the "Skanky players that have no chance"? Limiting my evaluation to the players on the list that I have seen play this year, I really do not see any "skanks". Does anybody recognize any certified "skanks" on the list?

16. soccerinstlouis

soccerinstlouis New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Obviously you didn't read the press release with the list regarding the number of draftees that were present at the Combine.

17. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    due time

I will be the 3rd to call you out. Who are the "skanks"? Don't come in here with unsubstantiated crap like Luv Da Bares, and expect to get away with it. Do you have a son excluded from the combine? We all know Luvvy's son was wronged by every coach he ever played for. Just be honest, or tell us who should have been invited and italicize your son's name.

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    no Rinaldo Chambers from St. Peter's or John David from FDU

19. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    I'm surprised that Malcom Cephas is the VCU forward on this list and not Matthew Delicate, who I thought was the more impressive player and more likely to be a good pro.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That struck me as odd, too.

Chambers is a little old - PDL says he was born in 79 - so maybe that played a roll, though he had a strong year.

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I believe will be pick on a late run, probably by the Metrostars

St. Peter's making its first ever NCAA appearance, upsets No. 11 Brown 10-4-3 . St. Peter's striker
    Rinaldo Chambers, increases to 14 goals and 16 assists.
    Coach by Cesar Markovic
    St. Peter's record 18-4-2

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    believe will be pick on a late round, probably by the Metrostars

St. Peter's making its first ever NCAA appearance, upsets No. 11 Brown 10-4-3 . St. Peter's striker
    Rinaldo Chambers, increases to 14 goals and 16 assists.
    Coach by Cesar Markovic
    St. Peter's record 18-4-2

23. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Stuttering Frank Cuhna

Are u drunk or stuttering? I really don't understand your last 2 posts. If they make sense to you, please post 1 that is coherent.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This also struck me as odd.

Cephas was born in frikkin 78 and is Liberian so, barring a green card I don't know about, he's too old to be a Transitional International.

Delicate, on the other hand, who is Welsh, was born in 81 and is the perfect age to be a TI.

Factor in that he's 6-3 and had strong seasons both with VCU and in the PDL and it does seem strange he wasn't invited. Maybe he is going back home to play in Wales but otherwise, I can't figure why he didn't get invited and Cephas did.

Of course, there are plenty of inconsistensies and head scratchers in this list, not the least of which is that Maryland is the only Final Four team to have players invited.

I guess those other seniors from IU, Santa Clara and St. John's didn't do enough in their careers to warrant an invite! I guess they'll have to "settle" for being scouted this weekend in Columbus.

25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: due time

Didn't mean to get everyone all fired up, I was just having a bit of fun. My main point was who was not going to be on the list, not who is on it, a finer point missed by a few of you.

I'll try to make myself more clear. If you are say, Frank Yallop, and you've been scouting SCU all season and really like one of their seniors, let's just say Matt Upton for fun. Do you ask to have him put on the list? Not likely. You will hope nobody else notices him and you can pick him up after the third round and sign him to a development contract. Was Jamil Walker or Nat Borchers at the combine last year? How about Chris Roner the year before?

And my son has a good eight years to develop before his undeniable talent is thwarted by lazy, sinister coaches with dark motives who conspire to deny me his god-given scholarship! Stupid SOB's. I'm mad already.