MLS Collective Bargaining Agreement details?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Nov 15, 2004.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening from Garber about the 5 year deal, reserve teams, expanded rosters, one more SI, etc....it is hard not to have tons of questions re: the details of this deal..... Anyone have any info?

For example, if the rosters (now 28) and SI (now 4) are being increased, does it mean a larger salary cap? ....also, is the minimum salary being raised? If anyone has any link, thanks!

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answering my own thread, for the most part this is all i can find (or articles that contain pretty much the same details)
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=316465&cc=5901
    My biggest question would be with all the changes, how much would thew salary cap go up? (from its "current" 1.7 million figure?)

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me jump into your monologue to at least say thanks for posting this up.[​IMG]

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D I know, just looking for details, which obviously to this point no one has...

BTW, the article that was on MLSnet, in case someone did not read it....

11/14/2004 6:37PM
    Gazidis discusses expansion, future
    By Jason Halpin / MLSnet.com Staff
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041114&content_id=19050&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp
    Whole article is interesting, but here are some of the highlights:

" Gazidis also hinted that the league might be opening its wallet a little wider in the near future. With a new collective bargaining agreement soon to be ratified by the MLS Players Union, salaries will naturally increase, and the growth of the league by two teams in 2005 will also expand the league's salary budget. While Gazidis declined to discuss any specifics regarding the CBA because it has not yet been ratified, he did say that increasing salaries is something the league would like to take on.

"We want to be a league that is spending more money on our players because that means that we're generating the revenue to support that expenditure," Gazidis said. "We're in a worldwide marketplace for players. The more we spend on our player pool, the better we're going to be able to compete with the international markets. Our desire is to spend more on players, but we can only do that in a way that's economically rational against our revenues."

Gazidis added that the new spending on players could start very shortly, with the league potentially making some intriguing purchases this offseason.

"I think you're going to see some interesting things this year," Gazidis said. "I think there will be some surprises for you over the next couple of months with respect to high-level players."