News: MLS Coaching and Front Office - News & Discussion Thread 2022

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by asoc, Jan 21, 2022.

1. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    New thread for a new year

2021 thread -> https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mls-coaching-and-front-office-news-discussion-thread-2021.2113866/

Some recent updates from that thread.

https://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/philadelphia-union-announce-ryan-richter-as-assistant-coach

Good to see Marc is continuing to climb organizational charts. Former Director of Player Development/Academy Director for the Sounders.

SccrDon and RafaLarios repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chesco United repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids just announced an extension to Robin Fraser's contract taking him through the 2025 season.

If he stays into 2024 that would make him the longest tenured coach in team history. Assuming 2023 is still 34 games he'll be one game short of Mooch's record at the end of next season.

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Translation: I want to leave but I like your money.

There are people online blasting the FO and owner. But, seriously. They went sort of big on Almeyda and spent a reported 1.5 million a year for him and he reportedly has a 3 million dollar termination clause. He has absolutely not delivered and has been increasingly poor as time has moved on. I can see why after all his antics they aren't paying him off. You already have sunk almost 5 million in the guy so his "just pay me and I'll leave" attitude could really rub someone the wrong way. And he'll walk into another job straight away because people will just assume that he is right and it is the front office being cheap is why he failed. Though if anyone with half a brain looked at how his team has performed they'd see that it isn't the roster talent that has been the issue.

Beerking, jaykoz3 and Ismitje repped this.
  5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or…I have a contract and if you want me to leave you pay my termination clause.

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    WTF United too? Losada out and Ashton in again?

TheJoeGreene and rslfanboy repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    rslfanboy repped this.
  9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Sounds like he may have lost the locker room.

10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Sounds like players don't like hard training.

Also seems DCU didn't like a coach that would call them out for wanting better players. They want want coaches who won't complain and agree to every move the FO makes. Olson lasted 10 years. Losada who had DC playing good last year was fired after winning a game.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #11 TheJoeGreene, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    He lasted from 10/9/19 to 1/17/21 at Beerschot winning 47.62% and then from 1/18/21 to 4/20/22 at DC winning 41.46%. Not much difference in either place. 15-16 months, less than 50% wins, and leaving during the second season for one reason or another.

I think it's a combo of losing the locker room and demanding different players from a front office that hasn't shown it can consistently find good talent. He's probably a lot like Heinze was in Atlanta in his approach to fitness over everything which isn't a real option with the limited MLS rosters, but it didn't really work for him in Belgium either.

DC United needs a complete rebuild with a front office and coach that both understand the workings of MLS and have a unified plan that has a chance to be successful in the league. Do what Cincy did this offseason and target people who have worked together in a successful system. I'd break the bank for Freddy Juarez and someone from the Seattle front office.

12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    What I find funny about this is it isn't like the club he coached in Belgium was a high spending club. In fact, the most they've spent in a while was the first year under him full time and their first year in the first division. They spent 4.35 million that year with 3.3 million being on two strikers. One that has 7 goals across 3000+ minutes in 2 years and another that had 1 goal in 600 and was sent out on loan. DC brought in a DP forward this year, another forward that could be a DP if they exercise the purchase option, and a U-22 d-mid. They also went out and got him a forward last year (that he apparently wanted) and an American defender from the Belgian top flight.

And it all worked really well last year right up until it broke because they died from overuse in a high intensity system. This year, well, it hasn't. And you need to have a team that believes in you and will basically work themselves to death for you. Marsch had that in NY and seems to have that at Leeds so it has worked (I'm ignoring Salzburg because I think even Aron Winter would win the Austrian league with a team like Salzburg). He didn't in Leipzig and he was canned. If Losada lost that then there was never any real way back from that short of firing all the players and bringing in new ones.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That will be a big downgrade from Losada to Juarez. But it's DC, it won't surprise me one bit.

Maybe if they can get Hugo Perez from El Salvador or Thomas Christiansen from Panama it can probably work out better. Hugo might even get some El Salvador players like Tamacas and Mario Gonzalez to help them with attendance. Who knows if that will help them on the field though.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm...they fired him after losing to Austin over the weekend...their 4th straight loss.....

15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And not just a 4th consecutive loss, but one where they had a 2-0 lead, lost a player to a 2nd yellow before halftime, continued to play the pressing style while down a man, and didn't make their final two subs until the 89th minute after the game had already been tied up. It was a failure at every point of coaching, from player discipline to tactics, to bench management.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume he was referring to their Open Cup win Tuesday night.

17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some insight to the Losada days at DCU:

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anecdotally. We have Gressel's take and Seitz.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Charlotte FC fired their coach while just outside the playoff line in their debut season. They had the 26th highest paid roster at $10.7 million in total.

20. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    SetPeace repped this.
  21. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016

This feels very much like Alan Koch’s departure from Cincinnati their first year. Ramirez had 5 wins in 14 games, compared to Koch with 2 wins in 11.

Given what was said about Ramirez’ comments in the roster build in the article linked above from the MLS site, one has to wonder about player attitude. Koch was let go due to a deteriorating locker room.

Not wishing anyone the curse of Cincinnati’s first year, but…

SetPeace repped this.
  22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly seems harsh to fire him after a good start (for an expansion team). There has to be something else going on?

The guy had a 5-2 record at home and, as you mentioned, the team looked decent despite there 0-6-1 away record. All he had to do was clean-up their road performances and the team had a shot at making the playoffs..

jaykoz3, Sal Paradise, SetPeace and 2 others repped this.
  23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More info about MAR's termination:

Any idea which DP it would be if the statement is true? It, again, seems odd that they would pick a DP over their HC tho.

TheJoeGreene and SetPeace repped this.
  24. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also telling that all but 2 assistant coaches were let go. Christian Lattanzio stays on and is promoted to interim manager, along with goalkeeper coach Andy Quy. Still surprised by this move. One of the Polish DP's unhappy, perhaps?

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We probably could have seen this coming a couple of weeks ago.

Zoran Krneta assesses team's season thus far

These quotes are in the article from 5/19:

The coaching staff in general gets mentioned once or twice, but almost all the praise is for the players.