MLS Coaching and Front Office - News & Discussion Thread 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 4, 2019.

?

The next MLS coach to get fired will be...

Poll closed Jul 4, 2019.
  1. Adrian Heath

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Alan Koch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Anthony Hudson

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Ben Olsen

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Brad Friedel

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Brian Schmetzer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Domenec Torrent

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  8. Frank de Boer

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  9. Giovanni Savarese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Greg Vanney

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. Guillermo Barros Schelotto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. James O'Connor

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  13. Jim Curtin

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  14. Luchi Gonzalez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Marc Dos Santos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Matias Almeyda

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  17. Mike Petke

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  18. Remi Garde

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  19. Veljko Paunovic

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  20. Wilmer Cabrera

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm already tired of seeing Cinci fans (I assume) wanting to know the details so they can judge the result and/or wanting the person who told the MLSPA about the comments to be made public...

sitruc, BrianLBI and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    We could use a little Les of that type of stuff.

IMG_0200.jpg

Minnman, Baysider, RafaLarios and 4 others repped this.
  4. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any context on that pic?

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't get past the idea of Celine Dion dropping n-bombs in her music.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the quirks of the Dutch Santa Claus story is that he has a black servant named Black Pete who is either a demon that Santa tamed, or a Moor from Spain. During the various parades and celebrations that start the Christmas season, it is common for people to dress up as Black Pete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

JasonMa repped this.
  7. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that's makes sense. We have a similar thing in Iran, too. Oddly enough it involves Christmas New Year folklore...
    [​IMG]

8. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It's an unfortunate thing, but it reflects a narrative that has been indoctrinated into the white community about the black experience.

Cincinnati was home to Harriet Beecher Stowe, Fred Shuttlesworth https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Shuttlesworth, it was an important waypoint on the underground railroad, and home to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. https://www.freedomcenter.org

There is this expectation that since we declared equality, the damage done by history is completely erased. Yet, all around us are vestiges of the past, we see them, yet ignore their implications. We should know better, be better.

I wish I had the strength of character exhibited by Archbishop Ιάκωβος. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archbishop_Iakovos_of_America

Sandon Mibut and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live tweet of the press conference:

Cliff's notes is that the song may have been the trigger, but there was a pattern of behaviors that extended into last season that came up during the investigation, but they won't fully release the results of the investigation. FCC denies it is a culture issue with the club and that the timely investigation and its quick resolution supports that. Noted that some of the comments may have been acceptable in the Netherlands, but that Jans didn't adjust to them to be appropriate to the US. Finally, no timeline on a permanent coach and Yoann Damet is the interim until a permanent is named whenever that happens.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, god forbid they don't just accept the heavy rhetoric that FCC and the MLSPA are both firing out into the public. But whatever actually happened, no one on the outside is gonna get anything close to a full story any time soon.

Either way, I'd put money on that locker room being absolute cancer for the whole season.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can accept it or not, but FC Cinci and the MLSPA (not to mention Jans' and the player's privacy) owe them nothing. This is a private employment decision.

sitruc repped this.
  12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'm aware of that, but its still pretty shitty of them to just pump out a bunch of corporate speak and not give a particularly clear explanation of what happened. At least in the recent Petke situation, for example, the public has a pretty clear idea of what happened.

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Primarily because what happened with Petke was very public. These discretions in Vinci were all apparently off camera

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly comparable, Petke's was a singular comment that was made in a rather public situation and got him a red card, while Jan's was repeated comments that were made in private.

We also don't know why Petke was first fined and suspended for two without pay, forced to sign a contract amendment saying he'd be fired if there was a repeat, and then, as his suspension was ending, his suspension was changed into a termination.

Compare that to Jan, who didn't skip the N-bomb in a song, which triggered a complaint and investigation that found that the N-bomb wasn't the only incident of racism displayed by Jan, but rather a pattern conduct over his entire tenure with the club... All of which Jan confirmed happened, but claimed they were caused by cultural differences.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, no explanation, no justification, no argument worth a kopek of salt need be given. The divine right of the "private employer" is word of Olympus, and ye mortals should just shut up. ...................But since we mortals are paying tribute, hard earned tribute, to the Gods of Olympus, when they tell us to just shut up and suck it like the crud we be it just may occur to us to take that tribute and instead shove it into those aspects of their being where the sun do never shine.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just entitled crap. This isn't fans calling to explain why a good coach was fired or a bad coach wasn't. This is fans wanting information about what appears to be what would be considered in a regular business a HR violation that led to an employee choosing to resign (officially anyway) instead of fighting it. That's a legal minefield that both the league and the players association is understandably maneuvering through, and acting like the fans have some right to the results of the investigation is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of understanding of how things work.

As to demanding the name of whatever player (or players) approached the MLSPA with their concerns, as I've seen multiple fans demand today, is a violation of their relationship with the MLSPA and their rights, and is a dangerous road to go down.

sitruc, ElNaranja, BrianLBI and 7 others repped this.
  17. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLSPA and FCC/MLS don't even seem to agree exactly what happened. I mean, the PA basically called the lockerroom singing thing bullshit while FCC seems to maintain that episode did happen. The primary reason their fans want to know what happened has more to do with their season getting a severe handicap right out the gate more than anything else...which to them should warrant a pretty clear reason and explanation why it played out the way it did. If the official parties were more up front about it I think most reasonable people would have an easier time letting the matter rest and move on.

But yeah...Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for new products.

don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Doesn’t even necessarily have to have been a player. Could have been a trainer, coaching assistant, janitor, intern or anyone who was is the general vicinity. Word gets around. Especially if things happened last year, one person talks to another who talks to another, maybe on a different team. Pretty soon someone who hears the rumors is in a HR sensitive position and should act.

Or someone after their exit interview blew up the Jans’ spot to the union. Who knows?

Thx,

Jay!

sitruc, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is a really good indication that lawyers are (or will be) involved, so thinking that either side is going to say anything that might possibly be incriminating or taken as such before all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed is naive.

I don't have a good reference point, but I'm willing to bet that similar incidents in other leagues aren't wide open either, those leagues just have reporters who are paid to figure it out. MLS suffers from a lack of that. Or, like Petke, the triggering incident was public enough that there's not choice but to acknowledge it.

But yeah, keep demanding what the lawyers will refuse to give. We're only talking about the long-term livelihood of a coach and/or a player.

21. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    (*reads recent Cincy stuff in thread*)

(*heaves long sigh*)

Is THIS the league we will have fought for five years to get into?

22. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I'm thinking in both cases, people put up with stuff. People toughed it out. In both situations, a tipping point was reached and it was unrecoverable.

In Jans case, there was an attempt by someone to make a case for cultural insensitivity. Team official statements avoided this, favoring awaiting the results of an investigation. Even in the statement the team released announcing the resignation, there was an attempt to allow Jans to save face by making it his decision, but mentioning that themes emerged.

In hindsight, one question that I have is what intentions Njiekamp had for Jans. They had worked together. Jans was brash (the bird shooting...), out of work, and FCC only hired him through this season. Was this an attempt by Njiekamp to rehabilitate Jans? We all deserve a second chance. I do think that Jans would have been retained past this year if the team was successful and these incidents kept under wraps. The assumption is that the team knew about stuff that has become public with the MLSPA filing. The alternative is willful ignorance, which is not better.

There is a tendency amongst the fan base to blame the messenger. This is a big loss, and the fan base is in the anger stage of grief, with some moving to bargaining with de Jong. The second Damet reign will start with depression, and move to acceptance with either a successful start if t ge season, or hiring of a new coach.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having this shit dragged into court would be fun, because all the cards are forced onto the table and it goes into the public record.

...if only we'd be so lucky.

Welcome to MLS! Pull up a chair to the dumpster fire! There's plenty of warmth to go around, and there'll be a fresh one ignited guaranteed when the current one burns out!

ElNaranja and SierraSpartan repped this.
  24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    While I agree that particular incident led to his termination, Petke had a laundry list of unacceptable behavior that would have done most coaches in, except the team kinda kept doing okay. Our chicken-shit owner only pulled the strings when sponsors started threatening contract termination. And then he came out with some BS public explanation, which is going to cost him a good deal of $$$. (Like he cares that much. He just blew 1.3million on a coin for his collection.)

I know this is about Jans, but I just wanted to clearly state that Petke's and Jan's situations are completely different. Petke was just unhinged, and threw the most vile insult that he could think of in Spanish, repeatedly, which just happened to be a homophobic slur. I'm guessing that Jan's casual racism was just too much for the organization to look beyond, especially after a complaint was filed and it couldn't be swept under the rug anymore.

Ismitje repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Egbert Sousé, Quinn 33 and JasonMa repped this.