MLS Coaching and Front Office - News & Discussion Thread 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 4, 2019.

?

The next MLS coach to get fired will be...

Poll closed Jul 4, 2019.
  1. Adrian Heath

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Alan Koch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Anthony Hudson

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Ben Olsen

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Brad Friedel

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. Brian Schmetzer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Domenec Torrent

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  8. Frank de Boer

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  9. Giovanni Savarese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Greg Vanney

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. Guillermo Barros Schelotto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. James O'Connor

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  13. Jim Curtin

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  14. Luchi Gonzalez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Marc Dos Santos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Matias Almeyda

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  17. Mike Petke

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  18. Remi Garde

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  19. Veljko Paunovic

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  20. Wilmer Cabrera

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything is going just fine in Colorado, they have a 0.2% chance of making the playoffs and instead of playing the kids when they're out of playoff contention, they're loaning them to USL

1165031716496523265 is not a valid tweet id

SccrDon, TheJoeGreene, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anderson I understand, in his playing time this season he doesn't really look ready for MLS. Not surprising for a 16 year old kid. I think he'll turn into a MLS player fairly quickly but not yet. Yeah, we could let him get beat up some more the rest of the season but really, I prefer confidence building by him playing at a lower level.

Bassett however makes no sense. He's clearly MLS quality. The only thing is that to get him minutes we have to sit Jack Price, Kellyn Acosta, or Diego Rubio. Yeah, the games don't matter, but those three are all young-ish and are playing well so sitting them isn't a great move either. I'd still rather Bassett be the best option off the bench and a spot starter than playing in the Springs.

3. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would make sense if Colorado Springs was just outside the playoffs and needed a little push. CS is 10 points back of a playoff spot but only 2 wins behind. So yes those guys getting meaningless mins in MLS would be good but getting mins in meaningful USLC games would be more valuable imo.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Robin Fraser has been the only rumored name for months

sitruc and xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I've always hoped he would make his way back to RSL. If this is the case.... DEAD TO ME!!!

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fraser has been an assistant coach for 2 MLS Cup winners and 2 Supporter's Shield winners, but this hire would mean his only HC jobs have been Chivas (after they had started their downward spiral) and Colorado. Tough to make your name with those two.

sitruc, JasonMa and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point but it's also true that in general first time HC's dont land the blue chip jobs.

ISTM that it's a testimony to the high regard Fraser is held in that hes had two ugly stints as a head coach and gets hired for a third show anyway

I doubt if, say, Friedel will get even a second bite of the apple let alone a third

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for people who know the Rapids better than me (which is almost everyone): was Casey ever a serious candidate? Didn’t he do well, at least initially?

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He never really was. I think the only way he would have been seriously considered for the job is if he could have salvaged a playoff position out of Hudson's terrible start.

The timing of this announcement is pretty stupid though. This should have been done several months ago with Fraser getting a feel for the team and being able to make a few moves in the summer window.

Count on the Rapids organization to do everything wrong and completely backwards. Always three steps behind the rest of the league.

TheJoeGreene and Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I don't quite get the point of this tweet. I don't know why MLS teams that are going to miss the playoffs should automatically give minutes to the academy kids and why it is a bad look. When Hanover was already relegated they still basically played their starters. They didn't just give young players like Gloster and Soto a start even though they were playing for nothing. Guingamp in Ligue 1 still was starting players that were in their 30s. Huddersfield was pretty much dead and buried by week 30 last year in the EPL and they didn't just start playing academy kids. Not sure why people think that because a team is out of the playoffs that they think the players on that team don't want to win and fight for places on the team. Hell, I think you send the wrong message if you start benching players and not going for the win.

Ismitje, Bill Archer and rslfanboy repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been a long shot. If he had continued the new coach bounce hot start into sustained success he might have for the job but the last two months have been inconsistent enough that I don’t think he was ever in real contention.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Has Davy been fired yet?

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5 games, 15 points, 22 GF, 3 GA, +19 GD

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem here is that we're talking about Marsch taking over a club that massively outspends most of their competition, won their first 10 games last season, didn't lose until the 19th game of a 22 game "regular" season, and won 8 of 10 games (8W-1D-1L) in the "Championship" stage.. They've won the Austrian Bundesliga the last 6 seasons straight and won 10 championships since they bought the club in 2005. It's kind of like someone taking over Celtic and being stoked about Celtic dominating the Scottish Premiership...

17. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair though, RBS' previous managers had those same financial advantages and still didn't do what Jesse has done thus far.

I'm not saying that Marsch is the next coming of Sir Alex or anything but there was still some modicum of coaching skill involved, I think.

18. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    He is an American: there always is another reason to explain it away

Easton FC repped this.
  19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I feel like they are really starting to pull away in the last few years in terms of their quality versus everyone else. The last three years they've sold 12 players to teams in the big 5 Euro leagues. The rest of the field? 6. They spent 2.74 million in 17/18, 15.11 million in 18/19, and 25.88 million this year. The total league expenditures on fees the last three years were 9.2625 million (RBS was 29.5% of that), 22.5834 (66.9% to RBS), and 29.982 (86.3% to RBS). They are able to spend their competition into the dust at this point.

Easton FC repped this.
  20. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes a lot more sense. Okay Jesse, you got lucky...

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win 5 games to start the season? I mean, the last manager lost 5 games in 2 seasons, but only went 4W-1D-0L in his first season. What a failure that guy was. ;)

It’s great that Marsch is finding success with RBS, but that’s the expectation for RBS at this point. His big test will be Champion’s League and his next assignment.

sitruc repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He did well with RB in New York and Leipzig. He earned this coaching job. It’s just hard to use his early success in Salzburg as an indicator for his future given the disparity in the league.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Agree completely. If a coach can make it in MLS with a modicum of financial fair play, that's a far better barometer of quality than in a league where 99% of the time, the richest team wins the league.

ElNaranja, xbhaskarx and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

rslfanboy and xbhaskarx repped this.