MLS Clubs will send their NextPro teams to 2024 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Dec 15, 2023.

1. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Probably the same people screaming that the refs are scabs throughout the match.

Bill Archer and Kyle Crew repped this.
  2. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    No Crew fan has ever happily watched a USOC game. We watch them out of complete obligation and nothing else.

LaMacchia and Kyle Crew repped this.
  3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm not a Crew fan. : ((((((

TrueCrew, TKyle, eboe and 4 others repped this.
  4. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    I love the USOC because I love watching my favorite yellow soccer team play more games.

TrueCrew, TKyle, Ch(Elsey) and 4 others repped this.
  5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's dumb! Why would you want to watch the team you love play?! BOOOOOOOO!

TrueCrew, Ch(Elsey) and Ball Kicker repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TrueCrew, TKyle, eboe and 3 others repped this.
  7. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    You had to go back 22 years to find an enjoyable USOC match (attended by a raucous crowd of just over 6k people).

Kyle Crew repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2023, I ran into the legendary 3Stripe and her bunch of fans from Indianapolis.

TrueCrew and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  9. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The boycotting of Leagues Cup games is laughable. If they really wanted to protest, then they would actually protest during regular season games where the protest actually affect you.

10. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I do think we should have let Crew2 compete

But for this cup why not just have Crew/Crew2 and all teams have rosters with both teams then send who they want. There are honestly just too many competitions. I would like to see all MLS teams get a bye until the next best (35) non MLS teams are left so there are 64 teams left total. Also the time of year and when you can fit this in matters. Money is the only thing that will make MLS teams play so better start finding sponsors to give more if you want to save this tournament.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So "Columbus" could send 18 players per game and those players could be whoever from either team?

I saw something about how everyone and their brother wants MLS to play better competition in order to be taken seriously. Leagues under MLS aren't the "better competition" here.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about enjoyable. As I recall it was colder than a mother in laws heart.

crew2112, soccerncbus and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup 2023 wasn't exactly warm either..... One of my prized possession is an autographed game card from that Open Cup final, as the guys stayed to sign after that match. I gotta get that framed. So I enjoyed it, for one.

TKyle repped this.
  14. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I believe someone mentioned there is no roster size limit for open cup. If true you could put all the players crew & crew2 on the squad . But for the record keeping it would go against the first teams record no matter which players play. But now the deal was made where teams can choose to send out either squad or not even participate. Someone else may know more about it. I’m going off what I heard and the whole thing is comical to me. It may be an old tournament but most MLS teams never take it serious so I don’t see what the big deal is.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it matters very much anymore (maybe next year), but there would need to be changes made to the CBA in order to an MLS team to be able to select any combination of 18 players from either the its first team of MLSNP rosters to to play in the USOC.

As it's written, MLS clubs can easily loan players to their NP sides, as long as those additions keep the NP club within its roster guidelines (ie, they can have no more then 24 professional players). There are pretty strict limits on MLS clubs' ability to temporarily add NP players to their first team rosters, however.

So while the USSF might not care about roster make-up, the league's CBA has a lot to say on the matter. What I don't fully understand is the extent to which MLS can make changes to this type of thing in the CBA without the MLSPA input. There's an initial part of the CBA that includes player type and roster make-up as areas where the league can make changes unilaterally, unless it says otherwise further on in the agreement. I'm not a lawyer, and already spend too much time reading through the CBA.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  16. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, it is a protest of the very thing that is causing the issue in the first place. It has symbolism.

TrueCrew and catfish9 repped this.
  17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gives a flying ********? This is tradition! Remember the whole "Respect Your Roots" campaign? Is that just so much lip service for y'all now? This is the LAMAR HUNT US Open Cup. And we have played to win in it before, the problem is that coaches underestimate the competition, who up their game when playing MLS sides. I remember GBS and such regularly playing in them when Bobby Popgun took us to the finals in 2010. And obviously Gaven was playing in 2013. And I don't think we ran out entirely scrubs vs Cincy in that first match, did we?

If MLS has no problem with letting the Canadian teams compete, and there was no fuss made about those three teams, and believe it, they have 5-6 games to win it each as well up there, so it isn't any different than down here. And after the snow match, can Garber convince anyone of pitch conditions? I loved the snow match, don't get me wrong, but his lines are lies.

Oh, and if y'all remember, attendance was down around the league for the weeknight playoff games in the first round of the MLS Cup tournament in 2023. Maybe it is also the night the games are played on. I'm sure we will see with the CCC game on a Tuesday.

TrueCrew, TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It has about as much symbolism as a Catholic giving up something pointless during lent that they were already not doing or or don't like anyway.

19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems unnecessarily pointed and oddly specific.

catfish9 and Bill Archer repped this.
  20. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I represent that comment.

21. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well with it being the time of year, it was just in the back of my mind(plus growing up catholic and listening to people “giving up” basic things that defeat the sprit of the season). But the point still stands, if you want to protest, then it needs to actually affect you. Saying that I’m protesting some event later in the year that I wasn’t really that interested in anyway because a team isn’t playing in some other event that most only have passing interest in until it gets to the semis or finals isn’t really doing much or sacrificing much. If you truly want to protest, then it starts at regular season games, where you are directly affected instead of these add on games that you may or may not watch/go to.

22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've become so much of a ********ing prick this last year, I want nothing to do with your moronic ass anymore.

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boycott the stupid ********ing Leagues Cup, that's for sure. ******** you, you insufferable prick. You and Pete can go ******** yourselves.

24. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can line up with Pete too, you ********ing tosser. They are ********ing scabs.

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  25. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure some people went to League's Cup games last year and are not attending this year. That make you happy with your worthless analogy that means ******** all at the end of the day?