MLS Chivas a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by galperin, Sep 19, 2003.

1. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx

I know what most of the epl, german, and la liga teams are comprised of. I also know that MFL and MLS put a cap foreign internationals

Keep in mind MLS is a VERY YOUNG league. We can not afford to let another entity dominate with foreign players. That is why there is a CAP on foreign SI and TI slots with exception to players holding green cards

I think we know what americans are smart alec.

whose they? not according to the interviews he has done.

LOL! you are so ignorant! I have never heard of Hispanic players that came from central or south america. Hispanics are mexican-american. yes we do have a VERY good idea of what he will do to make the team completely foreign and stay within MLS guidelines. (read previous posts.)

2. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: MLS Chivas a bad thing?

Wow. Aren't you a font of knowledge.

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huh??? Hispanic doesn't just refer to Mexicans.

His·pan·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-spnk)
    adj.
    Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
    Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

4. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx

Oh really? I suppose you can guarantee he will stick strickly to guildlines just like every american club so far? Many clubs do it yes in europe etc. I don't argue that. What some of us worry about are the possible negative affects on US soccer and player developement. This is our league. MFL puts strick guidelines on foreign players/investment. MLS has every right to do the same. Vergara better set things right because alot of us don't believe he will shoot straight.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So, it all makes sense now . . .

Vergara says, "My team will have Hispanic players!"

deg thinks, "The Mexicans are coming."

He battens down the hatches, mourns for the fate of MLS, and marches over to the computer to begin the wailing, weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Carlos Bocanegra, Claudio Reyna, Memo Gonzales, Pablo Mastroeni, Tab Ramos, etc, are all Hispanic. If they were somehow all on a San Diego team - heck, I'd support them.

If, deggie, you are looking for the term that specifies Mexican, I believe that's Chicano.

You are in general, a rather sad, paranoid and negative example of an American soccer fan. I shudder at the thought that you might not be the only one.

If Vergara does not follow MLS guidelines, he will not be allowed in the league. That part is simple. You can get all the "bad vibes" you want, but all the clubs follow the same rules. That's what makes a league legitimate.

6. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well sorta..
    Here's a page that explains Chicano and Hispanic and Mexican and every other term used on this thread and Big Soccer. :)

http://www.azteca.net/aztec/chicano.html

7. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx
    Femfa, The only thing I am worried about is whether or not the league and american soccer developement suffers.

I would proudly support them but that's not what Chivas USA will be comprised of.

[
    The league(MLS HQ) and new investor have not made guarantees or assurances that this will be the case.

8. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wolves, I'm sorry, but that's the most inane page ever.

It basically says that whatever term you use is wrong or insulting (possibly) because of the vagueness of exact definition.

So, to be on the safe side, you should just refer to everyone as "people"?

Then again, mebbe the site has a point.

In which case, Vergara will not have Mexicans or Americans on his squad. They will be people.

Who play soccer.

9. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Aha!

You KNOW this the same way you KNEW that Hispanic means Mexican?

I have great faith in the things you know.

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the positive side, maybe this will mean we'll never have to see another All-Star Game with MLS versus an actual Mexican team.

See, I just think that if the Man U board of directors wanted to start a team in New York, (using their ties with the Yankees), and mentioned wanting to bring developing European talent to U.S. audiences, no one would bat an eye. Maybe they'd be called the New York Red Devils or something.

There would be some worry that our best players might get sucked into the European pipeline and leave us dry, but quietly, a lot of U.S. fans would be honored and excited.

I just think a lot of this has to do with some MLS fans desire to make it a great league, but they want it to be a U.S.only game. We don't mind having Dominican's and Japanese coming into Baseball, because no one will ever question that it's our game, and we control it.

I say, if Vergara wants a team, bring em on. The Galaxy will use them as a doormat.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, you should say "those people." :D

12. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas

Bright:

Your message is clear and loud. Good answer.

FYI: There are now thousands of Mexicans living and working in North Carolina. I won't tell you how many undocumented because that may scare somebody else. But you can say thousands. Who else will do the menial low-paying jobs no American wants?

How do you think restaurants, hotel, motel, domestic services, farm jobsm etc... survive and prosper?

A relative of mine who went to North Carolina practically naked and with $20 in his pocket is after 15 years the owner of 10 restaurants...

Only in America...

13. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because FML is a Mexican League in a country that is full of MEXICANS. There are almost no American-descend/heritage Mexican citizen in Mexico. Whereas in the US, specifically in San Diego (yes a Spanish language term), there are a lot of Mexican-descend/heritage American citizens.

Let's just put it this way.
    In mexico, American-Mexicans: less than 0.1 % of the population, thus there is ZERO market
    In San Diego, Mexican-Americans: around 30-40% of the population, thus there is a significant MARKET.

By the way, I talked to Vergera the other day, he told me the majority of the team players will be AMERICANS. Doesn't that satisfy you?

Or you just pissed that the investor is not an American.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's bull. I think MLS fans would be extremely nervous that said team wouldn't be following MLS rules.

There are TWO (2) different concerns here. One is that Chivas won't have to follow MLS rules, which IMO is a legitimate worry. The other is that the team will seek out Mexicans and Mexican-Americans, but follow MLS rules on SIs, TIs, etc. A few people worry about that.

Let's not confuse the two.

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way but it's just for those who want to try to state things like only Mexicans are Hispanics and such.. :)

16. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Sorry I have not been able to reply back to the many posts here, but I was in DC for the WWC game vs. Sweden. Great game.

No, back to business...

Are you serious. If Vergara has the $, and a lot of it, and is serious about investing, you can bet your arse Garber will help him out with what he wants. Money talks.

And why are some of you saying I hate Mexicans? I NEVER said that. What I said was, I did not want an investor coming in and changing the league by bringing in an all Mexican club that will horribly alter the fan base and availability of roster spots for Americans. AND YES, MLS IS SUPPOSSED TO DEVELOP AMERICAN TALENT, YOU DIP SHITES!

And whoever said the crap about I obviously do not live around Mexican-Americans in North Carolina is an IMBACILE. Do not talk about things you do not understand. North Carolina has one the fastest growing Latino populations in the country. Raleigh (the capital) has the 2nd fastest growing Latino population in the US. There are Latinos all over my town and neighborhood.

And that bit about speaking spanish and not even knowing it by using words like Taco or something...that is the worst comback ever. Weak, my friend. Come up with something better next time.

So to all you who bashed me and called a racist...

get an ephing life...

17. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Excellent point. I personally don't think it's a great idea for him to try to fill it all with Mexicans, latinos, or hispanic people or of the same descent. I just don't think that most people would react very well to that here in America. However, you're absolutely right that he will not be taking anyone's job. Presumably because he's adding the team they'll be even MORE slots for American players. There of course will be a dispersal draft, and of course at least SOME americans on his team, and someone will have to fill that void.

18. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Yes, he will be taking someone else's job. There are several cities trying to land an MLS franchise at this very moment.

And even if he is not successful in getting a Mexican roster, and there are some Americans on the squad...

IT WILL STILL BE A MEXICAN TEAM. Again, I say, Mexico has its own league; let him invest elsewhere. And you cannot compare America and MLS's situation to other countries. Completely different. Those other countries have developed leagues with long histories...the US does not. If we are going to get there, we must get there OURSELVES. (and by ourselves I mean American investors, American players, and Major League Soccer, you ignorant fools)

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sure there are other cities that have been mentioned as possiable expansion sites, but none with an owner who seems to be so passionate and well financed. It's not like there's a line of investors going PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME.

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try this one more time:

The only instances in which Vergara would be taking an expansion spot away from someone else would be if either another investor wants SD or MLS has so many teams that it can't expand any further. Neither instance exists now or is likely to exist in the foreseeable future.

21. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Anderson: Have you read all my books?

How come you always take away words from my mouth?

Your score so far: 5--0 in your favor...

22. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    No...MLS is supposed to expand by 2 teams. If Vergara takes 1 slot, then some other city loses a slot.

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ay caramba...

Do you really think that MLS would turn down an otherwise desirable expansion deal just so they could stay at 12?

And, of course, there's also this notion that some of us refer to as reality. Just how many viable expansion candidates do you really think there are?

24. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Re: ay caramba...

Tulsa, Rochester, Philly, Toronto, just to name a few.

Look, I know what everyone's argument is. I completely understand MLS's need to get well financed, dedicated investors. I also realize there are not that many out there. But I would really rather wait and get an American investor, even if it takes several more years. Just my personal opinion.

25. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Re: ay caramba...

"Real...what is real? If you are refering to things you can touch, taste, and smell...real is simply electrical impulses interpreted by your brain."

-morpheus

Matrix rocks the ephing house!