MLS Cap value figure

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jpg75, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry guys, this is probably the 100th thread started asking this question, but can someone please confirm which salary figure is used to determine a players cap "value" or cap "hit"?

I was under the impression that it was the guaranteed compensation figure (the larger of the two figures listed), can someone confirm this and post a link that proves this? Thanks, and i'll rep. you!

2. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    * Bump *

Does nobody know where this information can be found? :eek:

3. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There never has been an official confirmation. According to Buzz (3rd degree) there are also other factors that are added in when calculating the salary cap hit so that neither number is the true number.

My opinion is that the guaranteed number is better to use for "calculations", since if they didn't include guaranteed bonuses it would be too easy to game.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think that's most likely correct. For one thing, the difference in figures is most often the signing bonus pro-rated. And that kind of thing is pretty much always going to count against the cap.

As for other numbers, bonuses are often counted against sports caps if they are 'achievable' (often means if a player has done it before), but they still won't appear there because though they are achievable they aren't guaranteed.

7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I stopped trying to figure this out a long time ago. In addition to all the bonuses, ect, teams can use allocation money to buy down a players cap hit, and nobody knows how much allocation money is actually floating around in MLS.

The most recent and obvious example of this was Columbus buying down GBS' cap number so as he didn't count as a DP. Once Columbus' allocation money ran out GBS became a DP. But I have no idea what GBS' actual cap hit was his first two years in the league. Outside of Mark McCullers, and the league office, I don't think anyone does.

8. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks guys, kinda sucks but atleast i know i'm not the only one who's in the dark....