MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumours are that Laba is on the trading block.

Seems kind of ridiculous to bring in two DP strikers only to unload your DP AM to bring a DP DM.

2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #102 Scorpion26, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    I'm not surprised but Bradley can maybe allow Osorio/Bekker to play the creative role. Also De Rosario can't forget about him too. TFC is are to complete all of this transactions incredible does not mean they'll make the playoff games got to be played in the end.

Wonder what Montreal and Vancouver will do themselves doubt it will be huge like this.

I do hope that the big three Canadian clubs don't forget a out their youth coming through their ranks.

3. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So its official Bradley and Defoe have been introduced to the media by TFC. Should be interesting to see how there season will go for them.

Now let's see what the other two Canadian clubs in MLS will do.

4. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does the Ottawa ownership group have the money for the franchise fee?

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    origianlly when this all began back in 2008 an MLS team was the FURY and OSEG goal. But with all the court battles the landscape ofand MLS franchise now is much more expensive and the size of the Metro area has grown and the competion to fill those final spots for expansion to 24 is much more competative so I do not think that Ottawacan compete for an MLS franchise anymore but is a great fit for the NASL and a much needed franchise for another Canadian City with it appearing that the NASL is the only option for the other Canada cities outside the big threee

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's also USLPro, but it is reagrded as a tier down from NASL.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    USL Pro teams that will be appearing will become MLS affiliates. TFC tried to affiliate with the Lynx and move them into the USL Pro but that fell through sofor now they affiliated themselves with a curretn USL Pro Wilmington Hammerheads. Rumors are that Vancouver is going to affiliate with Charleston. Montreal has no affiliate yet but could have their reserve team / B team enter the USL pro.
    I magine that TFC would one day soon convert the Lynx so that theri USL pro club is near by.
    Montreal owner Sapputo could also do the same and play a USL pro side out of quebec city.
    MLS is shooting for all clubs to have a USL pro affiliate by 2015 whether it be a seperate club or their reserve B team.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They were hoping to do that in Hamilton, but it sounds like Hamilton City council rejected the idea because they want NASL instead (and let's face it, don't want to be under the shadow of Toronto).

I actually like the idea of the Canadian MLS sides having their USL affiliates in the US, for the very reason that it is hoped that any USL Pro clubs in Canada would partake in the Voyageur's Cup. A Canadian USL Pro side affiliated with a Canadian club would thus have a potential conflict on interest in the tournament. Of course, I would also hope that three US MLS clubs would in turn agree to have an affiliate in Canada.

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The OKC USL Pro team is ready for play in 2014 and has become affilate of Sporting KC. SKC will also continue with Orlando City as a USL Por affiliate as well this season but with them going to the MLS OKC should be their firm affiliate.

Jacksonville is slated to join the NASL in 2015.

Beckham's group is looking to get a MLS side in Miami to be one of the expansion teams that will bring the MLS to 24 teams before 2020.

danielperrysoccer repped this.
  10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You are exactly right but I think that TFC will still want their USL pro side a bit closer so their future with the Lynx is still a possibility. They could also affilate with the Lynx PDL affiliate. Although it appears for now that TFC will have a U23 part time college academy team.
    The Union have affiliated with Reading United FC for their College players from their academy in the PDL while other clubs have their own u23 college side in the PDL.
    So TFC is still tansitioning on what may happenin their future in forms of USL PRO and PDL affiliates.
    The PDL is very regionalized with several Canadian city sides. Ottawa in the NE division and 3 other souther ontario sides includint the Lynx in the Great lakes division

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hamilton will most likley have an NASL franchise within 5 years. CFL Tiger Cats owner Bob Young wants to get Tim Horton's field have all the kinks worked out and get the CFL tean running solidly through the stadium and also stated that he will wait until after 2015 PanAm games where soccer will be played at the new Hamilton field.
    With most of the NASL teams along the Atlantic coast and florida are now beginng to expand in the great lakes NE Mid west. EDM is an Original MINN may get an MLS side but Indy Ottawa, NY cosmos could use some company in the North with a Hamilton side playing out of a modern stadium

12. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Would be great to see at least one more Canadian team in MLS. Any place that can do it would be great but that won't happen.

Well seems like the preseason will be coming soon and I'm hoping to see a good season from all Canadian clubs.

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    When OSEG was first formed the idea for the stadium was CFL and MLS but that was back around the 2008 mark when it could have been possible for a smaller Metro like Ottawa to get in plus being the Nationas capitol. The the group that tied the whole deal for the stadium and land redevopment up the start date s now this year in 2014 and already now Montreal and Vancouver have clubs and bigger cities with NFL and MLB owners backing clubs for expansion the pric tag is too big. However the stadium is still perfect for the MLS

14. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Might be an interesting idea to have a TFC/Impact match played in Ottawa if MLS would support such a thing, or maybe a Voyageur's Cup match.

15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I guess thing can be done in a pre season friendly or pre season tournament.
    I could see Ottawa maybe hosting a pre seoson 4 team tournament right close to the beginning of the season when it is warmer.
    Ottawa, Montreal, TFC, and one other and NASL or MLS team from the NE or great lakes regions. or maybe even the USL Pro Rochester. Or how about add the Cosmos

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well I wonder if Vancouver and Montreal will add more youngsters from their academy this year?
    Toronto added J.Hamilton...

Any names for future signings?

On paper it seems like TFC and possibly Montreal will make the playoff. Vancouver will struggle once again. An early pre preseason prediction.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    An Ottawa/Montreal match in the Canadian Championship is a possibility. It would require Ottawa to beat Edmonton in the preliminary round.

Even if that doesn't happen this year, the odds are pretty good (just under 34% in any given year) that Ottawa will end up playing either Montreal or Toronto in that tournament. So Ottawa fans should get to see live games against "local" MLS teams from time to time.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It would be great for club soccer in Canada to start forging these kinds of rivalries. The TFC/Imapct riavlry is coming on nicely (or not so nicely, depending on how you look at it).

A NASL club in Calgary would make for a nice rivalry with Edmonton, and perhaps forge a decent three way rivalry with Whitecaps.

19. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I agree I think Canada is quickly moving in the right direction Now with 3 MLS Clubs. Edmonton has been kind of isolated in the prairies. Calgary would be a great addition and perfect fit. hopefully the CSA can support the Flames LP in adding an NASL side to their crop of teams. With te national team looking to rebuild with youth there should be plaenty of young talented Canadian players to fill a roster in Calgary. Academy and college grads coming off national U23 team. TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver will have an excess of academy players graduating that there will just not be enough roster spots with the MLS clubs or even there USL Pro affiliates and keeping them in Canada turning pro at a young age they will need clubs for them to play on.

Ottawa could not be in a better position being between Montreal and Toronto. The Fury Acedamies and PDL side have been in place for a little while now and are already beginning to welcome home some former playrs who have gone to college, played on the U23 National team and are recent MLS super darft picks who will be coming from MLS former reserve sides and into the now Pro Fury franchise.

Aside from Calagary Hamilton will be primed to enter a NASOL franchise with a stadium in place and several PDL sides in southern Ontario where graduating University players will need a pro team to play for while making the transition from the U23 National tea to the big team

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree (although "rivalry" might be a strong term to use for games between MLS and NASL teams).

I'm a TFC fan and would cheer for TFC against Ottawa. That said, I'll have no trouble making Ottawa my NASL side. I also live closer to Ottawa than I do to Toronto and would be very happy to go to Ottawa to watch a Fury/TFC Canadian Championship match.

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Whitecaps signed two players... Both are mid/forward types. Should be interesting to how they acclimate into MLS.

22. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the Bradley deal just fell into TO's lap, they couldn't turn it down and unfortunately Laba's the odd man out. Really sucks for him but what can you do... not like you can drop the DPs who haven't played a minute yet

23. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It can be said TFC had one hell of a off season with player acquisitions. Now they also got Julio Cesar and yep that could mean moving Bendik or loaning him somewhere else for the next few months.

24. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not necessarily. They can afford his salary and will need him for when Cesar is away for the World Cup. I think it's more likely that they move Konopka.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Laba sent on loan to Vancouver.
    E.Welshman has been waived and feel bad for the kid did not get that chance to prove his worth in the MLS.I kind of wished they kept a young canuck and traded or waived some other forward. I do hope Bekker gets plenty game time this year.