MLS-based Yanks vs. Yanks Abroad

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by mundial, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because it's been a while and because speculation is fun, let's take a look at the Yanks Abroad vs. the MLS-based Yanks. For the most part, I am only including players Bruce has called into camp over the last year. I am ignoring injuries for the moment.

Yanks Abroad

Friedel
    Vanney Bocanegra Onyewu Russell
    Beasley Reyna Mathis Cherundolo
    McBride Casey

Subs: Berhalter, Lewis, Convey, Howard, Keller, O'Brien

MLSers

Walker
    Gibbs Pope Mastroeni
    Zavagnin Armas
    Stewart Donovan Hejduk
    Wolff Ching

Subs: Johnson, Jones, Kirovski, Cannon

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whats with the lineups? vanney is a left back, russel a right back, and why is dolo playing left mid? your back 4 should definitely be dolo-berhalter-boca-vanney. eddie lewis should be starting LM anyways if beasley is on the right. if you are ignoring injuries, JOB has to start. as for your mls team, why play with 3 at the back and have hejduk playing left midfield? it should be 4 at the back, gibbs playing lb, and hejduk playing rb.

3. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies, my left to right is screwed up. Did you not notice that all of the outside backs and mids were on the wrong side?

Who would you have play RM for the Euros?

I'm all for Hejduk at right back for the MLS, but only one of the other MLS mids that Bruce has brought in can play wide (Stewart).

4. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Wow! With the loss of Boca, McBride, Mathis, and Beasley, our MLS team is looking a lot thinner these days . . .

Beasley could play there, but of course, he's much better on the left. I think that West could also play right mid for the Euros, but IIRC, he's been playing as a forward lately.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think once Donovan joins Beas & Co. in Europe, this game would be no contest, especially if O'Brien was healthy.

6. Nutmeg_23

Nutmeg_23 Member

Jul 20, 2004
  7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no Edddie Gaven, Taylor Twelman, Aleko Eskandarian,Jimmy Conrad, ?????? and i could ad some more ......and why have 3 defensive midfielders on the field at the same time ? you only need one....isn't Stewart done what has he done lately to deserve to start ?

I belive in MLS'players we have some good capable players that could challange any team

8. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I like the chances for this side... it should be VERY good on set pieces and on the counter!

MLS

---------EJ--Ching
    ------LD-------Gaven
    ----Maestro--Mulrooney
    Sanneh--Pope--Gibbs--Albright
    ----------Cannon

Subs:
    Forwards: Wolff, Martino
    Mid: Cobi (...probably not Earnie...)
    D-mid: Zavag, Armas
    D: Hejduk (we can always swap Maestro, Mulrooney to D if needed)
    Keeper: Walker

...and yes, I think Mulrooney is vastly underrated...

9. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

some how i just how this feeling KZ HAS to be in there over mulrooney, not sure what it is....

about beasley's goal......excellent first touch, glad to see him finish that well. PSV has some awesome fan support

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barring everyone being healthy.

MLS

--------------------cannon

hejduk---------pope--------marshall--------gibbs

-------------------------KZ

------klein-------------donovan------------gaven

-------------Ching--------------------Wolff
    subs-
    EJ
    ralston
    pablo
    walker
    buddle

EUROS

---------------------------keller

----Dolo-----------berhalter--------bocanegra-------vanney

------------------reyna----------------JOB

--------DMB---------------------------------------lewis

----------------------------------mathis

---------------mcbride

subs-
    casey
    howard
    convey
    russell
    onyewu

and yes i know i left friedel off but if he wants to retire, then ill do it for him.

11. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dude, you have to start EJ, it's a no-brainer, come on get with the program. :D

12. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

right on, and Mathis sucks

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I tried to play along but I couldn't actually think of an MLS team that could compete regularly with the YA team. Last year I would have predicted an MLS win...but a lot has changed. When LD goes back to Europe next month this won't even be a discussion.

14. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id take mathis in my side over casey anyday

15. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    You got to be joking. Have you seen the goal Casey scored against Wolfsburg? A beauty that Mathis couldn't even dream about.

16. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 goal in 8 appearances versus 1 goal in 4 appearances. BTW, mathis dribbled through 2 or 3 defenders to score his goal, immediately after subbing into the game, i really dont think youd see casey do that.

17. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta put KZ and Cobi in the MLS squad and yes JOB has to start for the Euros

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Go ahead and put LD in the Euro squad.

This thread is now useless as MLS doesn't even compare...we can discuss this again in a year or two when Adu, Gaven, Szetela, and Marshall come into their own.

19. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Seeing how thin our MLS squad is looking, with Donovan leaving and maybe Twellman following him, makes me think that eventually, at least nine of the eleven starters on our A-team (the team that we'd run out in a WC qualifier or in a WC match) will be playing in Europe. It's inevitable that most of our best players will move over there sooner or later, if only because the money in MLS doesn't compare. There will still be talented young up-and-coming players in MLS who will get minutes with the national team, MLS players on the bubble of the national team who will get minutes, and veterans in MLS who are a bit past their prime but will get minutes. But if you had to pick our best 11, my guess is that nearly all of them will be playing in Europe.

20. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it is something to be proud off

not long ago we had no players in Europes first division

this says a lot about the state of our National team and soccer programs

Europe is the place to be, if you can play there then you made it

Look at the other countries S.America, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe too, their National team players all play in Europes best leagues.

I do not have the need or time to make a count but even the French Nat Team players all play outside of France, maybe even Holland

there is nothing wrong with that, but we should be proud our country is producing good footbalers

21. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even on the national teams, there are players that play in the domestic leaague. Patrick evra, France's starting left back plies his trade in Monaco. Barthez plays for Marseille. Bouma is starting cb with heitinga and both play for PSV and Ajax repsectively. Sneijider and van de vaart play for Ajax. Despite this, I do understand what you are saying.These players are part of a very small few with the vast majority of the players on most national teams plying their trades in one of the 4 big leagues. It is definitelty a sign of progress for the US team and hopefully players like Gaven, Szetela, Marshall and Adu will make the jump soon.

22. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not the same, the french and dutch leagues are very good leagues, mls is not.

23. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it's the same. Of course french and dutch leagues are better than MLS. MLS is in it's what, 9th year of existence I believe. I was merely refuting the claim that all French and Dutch national team players all play outside their own leagues. This doesn't somehow mean that the US is better, but I was merely giving exemptions to the rule that all good players on European national teams play in one of the Big 4 leagues.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course if all the best American players leave before their 25th birthday, the league is only going to stay that way.

I'd rather have most of them here, but I'd rather have a lot of things different about the way MLS has chosen to do things and since I don't have Anschutz's money...

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldnt want any of them here, mls is not a priority inmy mind, our USMNT players improving their skills is more important.