MLS Attendance, Week 22 [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know about y'all, but if I lived in KC, I certainly wouldn't let a deadly swirling cyclonic wind keep ME away from the game, nosireebob! The fact that tornadoes and thunderstorms kept attendance so low is clearly an indicator that KC will not support a team, they haven't "earned" a stadium, and they need to be moved posthaste. After all, even if new ownership were to institute a systematic, planned, and dedicated marketing and sales push, it would not yield any results since Hunt's similar efforts in 2003 were a one-time thing that cannot be duplicated.

;)

2. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Philly Soccer 2010.. playing in alleys until then will be appreciated.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh hooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

"too much rep, 24 hours"...

Another DC absolutism shot down. ("We are the Yankees of US soccer. We don't need any gimmicks, like concerts or Hispanic Heritage Night. We are... DC United.") :rolleyes:

4. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    You must feel stupid now.

5. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    Touche!!!

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Nah they're wider than that. Man i don't understand the smack talking about this. What, you want me to take a picture next time?

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After this week's games, 143 of the season's 192 regular season games are in the books. That's almost exactly 75%. At this point in time, here are the Saturday night averages for each team:

Code:
    			2006	2006		2005	2005		Pct.
    			Dates	Avg.		Dates	Avg.		Change
    Los Angeles Galaxy	 7/11	19,781		 10	24,553		-19.4		
    DC United 		 7/10	19,022		 11	18,085		+ 5.2
    Real Salt Lake		 8/11	16,230		  9	19,245		-15.7*
    Chivas USA		 8/10	14,839		  9	12,523		+18.5
    Houston Dynamo		 8/11	14,780		N/A	   N/A		  N/A**
    FC Dallas		 6/9	14,321		  7	13,896		+ 3.1***
    Chicago Fire		 5/7	14,039		  7	13,482		+ 4.1****
    New York Red Bulls	 7/10	13,467		  8	13,858		- 2.8
    Columbus Crew		 7/11	13,300		 10	13,390		- 0.6
    Kansas City Wizards	10/13	11,268		 10	10,909		+ 3.3
    New England Revolution	 4/8	10,849		 13	13,055		-16.9
    Colorado Rapids		 6/7	10,244		  9	12,186		-15.9
    Total			83/118	14,451		120	14,768		- 2.1*
    * Includes the June 4 USA-Costa Rica/FC Dallas-Real Salt Lake doubleheader. Without it, the RSL 2005 Saturday night average changes to 16,577 and the change from 2005 to 2006 changes to -2.1%. The leaguewide 2005 Saturday night average changes to 14,551 and the change from 2005 to 2006 changes to -0.7%.

** Team moved from San Jose. San Jose's 2005 Saturday night average was 13,652.

*** Only includes 2005 games played at Pizza Hut Park.

**** Team moved from Soldier Field to Toyota Park.

The Saturday night averages are something that I keep track of, because it's MLS' best day/time for attendances, because the number of Saturday night games vary so widely from team to team, and because there are the fewest number of attendance-fluffing doubleheaders on Saturday nights.

When you isolate how teams are doing on their bread-and-butter night from one year to the next, you get a little different idea than if you just look at the totals for all nights.

9. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. Personally I think it's a shame for any hardcore soccer fan to not have a local team to support. I don't hate Philly or think they shouldn't have a team, just don't want to lose my team.

As for the rest of you... next time there's a tornado/hurricane/blizzard/wildfire/(your local version of a natural dissaster here) in your area, go send your kids out with lemonaid and tell them to sell it. Oh yea - don't give them a sign or any sort of way for them to tell anyone that they're selling lemonaid.

If they come back and didn't sell very much, perhaps you should berate them on not being able to sell lemonaid and that next time you have lemonaid you want to sell you'll let the kid down the street sell it for you.

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From today's paper:

11. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I wuz goin' to the game, when the rain hit, and I saw those very MEAN looking black clouds to the west, and the north, and I happen to know what that means.., I turned around went home and put my car in the garage to protect it from the HAIL........

12. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Because you know for a fact that every team has 100% complete control over it's game scheduling?

13. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    I'm not quibbling with the date ... I'm quibbling with the start time.

I'd love for Sunday games to start at 6pm and Wednesday games to start at 7pm.

7:30 means we don't get home until 9:30 at the earliest ... and that's an hour later than bedtime for the "yute, you know, the young" - in our family.

And if you don't have young children you probably don't understand.

14. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you compare DC to the yankees! See the difference is that the yankees think they are better than everyone else, we know we are better than everyone else. Sure there are bumps in the road, everyone has them, but in the end all that matters is that shiny metal/silver/idontcare weird shape thingy that MLS gives in November and as long as we have that, you can talk about your 5-2 win every single day until next april because who better than the galaxy to know that a game in august doesnt mean crap.

15. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham

Do you think the fact that the playoffs have yet to hit makes any difference? Don't crowds usually get bigger near the end when games really start to count?

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I understand that an equal amount of people won't be able to get to the stadium by 7:00, to counter the families of young children who are happier with the 7:00 start time.