MLS Attendance, Week 22 [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Aug 26, 2006.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    NY-11,682
    DC-24,159

NY had their largest margin of victory ever, while DC lost at home for the first time this year.

2. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man if the weather was a bit nicer today in New York I think we could have seen 15,000-17,000 people but still the win should bring more people in :)

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice crowd in DC.

Did United have any special event or promotion that helped boost attendance?

4. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Not that I know of. Just a Saturday game and our stars. Shameful result but they're only human.

I kinda underestimated everyones attendance this week. Looks like another good week for the league attendance wise, even the Deadbulls managed to pull more than 10K

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good crowd in Chicago too: 15,400

6. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never do. Just the team as the attraction.

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good crowds in Chicago and especially DC.

Could it be that people are finally figuring out where Bridgeview is?

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple factors that might explain the attendance boost:

1) attendance usually is pretty poor in late July and most of August, and typically goes up around Labor Day and in the fall

2) Chicago played an awful lot of games at Bridgeview in the two months following the grand opening: the Fire hosted 9 regular season games, 1 Open Cup game, and 1 friendly

Now that the Fire's home games are getting spread out a bit, hopefully attendance will benefit.

9. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was International Flag Day, which consisted of maybe 30 kids with different national flags, some in traditional dress of that country. :)

10. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Looked like a lot more on TV

11. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Uhh, yeah we did. It was a Hispanic-American Festival or something. I bet we get close to 20,000 with it being LA and our first Saturday night home game in a long time, and one of the last games to exchange tickets. But we don't get 24,000 without the Festival or whatever it was.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one ever says, "I guess I just can't estimate a crowd from television, huh?"

Yeah, they underreported the crowd. :rolleyes:

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I love DC fans and all their Absolutisms. :rolleyes:

14. Scribe

Scribe Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 26, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    13,665 at the Chivas-Houston game.

15. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Re: No one ever says, "I guess I just can't estimate a crowd from television, huh?"

Who said anything about underreporting?

I was alluding to the atmosphere.

16. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Actually, it was Hispanic Heritage Night for the DC game and this night generally draws in about 5,000 extra fans.

If United were playing FC Dallas (with Ruiz) or the LA Galaxy of old (with Cienfuegos), I dare say they could have easily surpassed 30,000.

With all that being said, every team in the league has Hispanic Heritage Night.

So, at the end of the day, this wasn't a normal walk-up 24,000, but it wasn't an inflated crowd a la doubleheaders with international teams.

Well done DC fans. Can't say the same about the elephant dung performance United put on last night.

17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LA game is usually well-attended.

18. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is only 4600 empty seats. That is one of the nice things about these
    SSS. 15k+ looks like a really large near capicity crowd.

19. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Donovan, Landon and the L.A. Galaxy name. Saturday games against bigger cities (NY, LA, CHI) generally draw better than Saturday games against Columbus, Kansas City, etc. That's my opinon.

EDIT: Also the Hispanic Heritage night that others have mentioned.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    The weather shouldn't impact attendance that much. The problem, as always, is the lack of advance ticket sales.

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Recent and upcoming Fire home games:

8-12-06

8-14-06

8-16-06

8-23-06

8-26-06

8-30-06

9-3-06

9-6-06

9-17-06

What's this you speak of about "spread out"?

22. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three whiny posts in THREE different forums over 10 minutes? Did Ms. Kebzach not give you any last night?

23. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Another factor was probably that this was the second to last day to use your ticket trade-ins. Plus, people who signed up for two years early enough, got 10 free tickets this year. The last chance will be the RSL game so we will see what affect that has. If RSL is a BIG game for attendence then that is probably half your reason, too. I know I had eight extra people at the LA game for this reason, and will have four extras for RSL.

Yep, it was also hispanic day. Pre-game, they presented an award to a couple of (apparently) famous (central american?, one was from El Salvador, anyway) players. Those two did the pregame kick ceremony. They had a band in the parking lot that was playing latin stuff (I think it was latin music, I arrived near it just as they stopped playing). There were obviously a lot more hispanic people there than normal. I believe they also promoted the heck out of hispanic day on a local spanish radio station, thus the big crowd. DCU seems to have a winner going with it. :)

24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had some sort of Hispanic Heritage event with music in the parking lot, etc. They also gave out some award to a player from the '82 El Salvador WC squad.

I got there about 30 minutes before kick off and got routed all the way around the stadium to Lot 7 because Lot 8 was full. First time that ever happened to me before (and I usually arrive at about the same time for every game). They also had the upper deck open which is fairly rare (anyone remember the "sell-out" for Adu's first game? They refused to open the upper deck to 'create demand' :rolleyes: ).

But they had nothing special in the stadium as far as halftime shows or anything.

Come to think of it, the game wasn't anything special either. :D

25. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spread out as in not playing at Bridgeview every weekend.

Note also that in mid-August, the Fire were hosting a game every other day. And now they're hosting them every 3rd or 4th day.

That is the essence of "spread out", Zach.;)