MLS attendance: very perplexing indeed!

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by afgrijselijkheid, Oct 26, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ok so i was perusing the league attendace stats and i noticed something quite vexing...

http://www.mlsnet.com/statistics/league.html

how is that kansas city leads the league in road attendance by an average of over 2,400/game?!?

so i wondered hmmm maybe they have an edge by playing home leaders LA more than most... but then again they also play dallas and san jose a lot so that should way more than even out... so no

they do have preki... but LD and the quakes draw over 2,000 less per game, mathis (and formerly howard) drew over 3,000 less per game... so it's not about stars

then i noticed that chicago and LA, perhaps the MLS' two most hated teams, were dead last in road attendance - besides... who has a bigtime, hardcore rivalry with KC? nobody that i could think of - and for instance, chicago (with DMB btw, another headliner,) has dallas, the metros, the crew, etc... so no

then i checked 2002's numbers

http://www.mlsnet.com/statistics/archive/2002_league.html

these were much more like i would expect with chicago and san jose well above the pack and KC near the bottom

this one has me really scratching my head - can anyone forward a theory to explain why the wizards are easily the biggest draw? or is this just one of those wild 'just so happens'?

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps, instead of asking such a ridiculous question, you should have actually looked at the KC schedule this year

I'll give you a hint. Look at their games in July.

3. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Here's my only theory as to why KC is a bigger draw on the road...

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=07042003_KCCOL&version=recap

KC played in Colorado on the July 4th weekend. The attendance that game was 60,142. Perhaps that could have brought the average up a bit.

When checking into last year, Chicago played Colorado also during the July 4th weekend. That game had an attendance of 61,213. It doesn't explain San Jose though...

http://www.coloradorapids.com/site/goal.asp?cid=75

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    No,

Everyone want to see Meola and his butt

5. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    that was totally uncalled for you *#*#*#*#.

6. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Re: Re: MLS attendance: very perplexing indeed!

C'mon Bethany. Figure it out. The attendance on the 4th was 60K plus. Assuming KC's average road attendance is 20k (a generous estimate), then there was an extra 40K at that match. Spread that 40k out over 15 road matches and what do you get? Almost 2700 per match more than without.

Which begs the question, why wasn't KC's road average better than it was?

(Maybe it was because people didn't want to see Meola and his big butt.)

7. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    KC's road average with the 7.4.03 game:

Attendance= 269,478 (with today's game)
    Divided by # of games =15

Average= 17,965 per game

KC's road average without the 7.4.03 game:

Attendance= 209,336
    Divided by # of game =14

Average= 14,953 per game

2002 Chicago's road average with 7.4.02 game:

Attendance= 291,078
    Divided by # of games =14

Average= 20,791 per game

2002 Chicago's average without the 7.4.02 game:

Attendance= 229,856
    Divided by # of games= 13

Average= 17,682 per game

8. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    It's just a case of being in the right place at the right time. I'm serious about that, just take a look at their schedule this season; who they played, and when.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    cleazer and bethany have it right, it is one of those 'just so happens' - i didn't bother to check the schedule

10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    It also works for DC United. They played 2001 that weekend. There attendance is about 2,000 over everyone elses.

11. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    c'mon now... it is a big butt.

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Why would Don F.C. get so upset at someone making fun of Meola's caboose? Very perplexing indeed.

13. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: MLS attendance: very perplexing indeed!

Kansas City was disappointing on the road, MOVE THEM and make them play somewhere else on the road!

14. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    The big problem to me seems to be San Jose. Average home attendance second worst in the league, behind only Dallas: 10,466. Dallas not only stunk on the pitch, that gawd-awful pitch stunk too.

But the Quakes are a superb team, and with Donovan et al, top of the table in the West almost from the word go, and only two points shy of winning the Supporters Shield, they certainly should have done far, far better at the gate.

What gives?

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In September I started a thread about "what is the best team for road attendance" that I can't find now.

Basically, you have to subtract the Rapids/KC July 4 game from any analysis.

And, although SJ has pretty poor road attendance numbers, they played more weekday road games than anyone else. So really, they did pretty good considering they played so many away Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday games. If you just compare Saturday night games they look decent.

16. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because they play in a crappy stadium far away from the population center of the Bay Area. Also, Spartan stadium is very inconvenient when it comes to transportation. Taking Caltrain to a game, which would be preferable for me, is nigh impossible.

Because there has been no consistency in front office personnel for the last 4 years. Every year, there's some management change, which means that relationships need to be rebuilt, and some things fall through the cracks.

Because, and fellow Quakes fans will disagree with me on this one, no one else in the Bay Area gives a *#*#*#*# about San Jose. It's not like Oakland or SF where regional loyalty is strong. Most people in between San Jose and the sister cities to the north identify more strongly with the sister cities to the north. Which is why any team that calls itself San Jose anything doesn't really attract Northern snobs to come down south.

The Sharks still sell out regularly, but not as much as before, because the shine is beginning to wear off of the multi-purpose arena knows as the HP Pavilion.

The stadium situation will not be rectified for many years, but the issue with front office personnel hopefully will. With a bit of front office consistency over 3 years, I think attendance will be much more respectable.

17. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Do you feel if they keep a similar front office for the offseason, that the Quakes can average more then 12 or 13k? I personally feel that the constant churn of the front office management, has been ridiculous. That for me has been the main cause. We can see what happens when you have a horrible front office as in the case of the Revs and the Metros. Loyal fan bases start to become more and more apathetic, and what occurs when you have an energetic front office, like in KC.