MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 30

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be fair though MLSE isn't so much apathetic as incompetent (and prone to being greedy). They try to be hands on and are willing to spend money. Also, unlike Kraft they've proven to be very successful soccer marketers at some point. It's hard to see MLSE completely losing interest ala what's happened in New England: even by the time the Revs were a good team they were hardly an example franchise. (Yes, I know they had big enthusiastic crowds back in the early, early days too.)

2. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any similarity between TFC and New England. I've seen a significant change in the team from the begining of the season toward the end. I believe you will see a TFC next year that makes the playoffs and does well.

A competitive team, coupled with the fact that TFC management is trying, their stadium, massive supporters culture, the deepening of TFCs roots in the community, the rivalry with other Canadian cities, and the international nature of the city bode very well for the future. I don't see a NE situation at all.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. The constant change in TFC seems to be one of the problems. The last two seasons TFC's roster has barely had enough players for an 18-man roster up until the final days of the pre-season and then large amounts of player rotation throughout the season. It wouldn't surprise me if this off-season is pretty darn close to the same thing.

NE might not have enough roster rotation, but TFC has way too much. Hard to get team chemistry going if the roster is constantly changing.

4. moralis

moralis Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I know this thread is about MLS attendance, but I thought I would reply to the last couple of comments.

I agree with you about TFC's constant change over during the past few years. That was because of Mo Johnston's inability to find quality players. Things will be different with Aron Winter and Paul Mariner running the club. I was recently at a town hall meeting with all of TFC management and they said most of the players will be back, there will be players leaving, I think 5-10. TFC will have a top five pick and another latter in the first round. I would compare us to last years Philadelphia Union, bad defence and pretty good offence. TFC will have its regular centre backs in Adrian Cann and Dicoy Williams after season ending surgeries, if TFC also bring in a top quality centre back than I can see TFC having the same success as this year Philadelphia Union.

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Toronto has to do is win. Nothing more complicated than that.