MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 30

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Oct 2, 2011.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you're assuming none of those added fans would have come to another game. How many peop-le decide that the 4th of July game is going to be the game they go to in a year because of the fireworks, but if there were none still wouldn't have come to a game?

Clearly we don't know, but assuming its none of them, which is the assumption being made by not counting "gimmick" games, is probably very wrong.

2. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree 100%

A gimmick to me is when the vast majority of the people in the stadium are there to see something other than the MLS game.

That doesn't make the gimmick bad of course. MLS was forced to do this years ago as they needed to introduce people to the games but they have been dramatically reduced in recent years.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By that logic, double headers aren't gimmicks either...

Realistically there isn't a difference. Just instead of a second game, you've got fireworks.

4. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course none of us know so this is all just opinion. If you consider the fireworks game legit, that is fine, no skin off of anyone's nose.

However there is one item that makes it awful hard for me to swallow the fact that the people showing up in Denver on the 4th were MLS fans who just decided that was the one game they wanted to go to and that is the knowledge that the majority of the crowd took there seats during the second half.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may have a little bit of a point in terms of the overall attendance during a year, but not on the daily basis. Its not that gimmick games aren't counted, its that in this context of the highest attended games they aren't regular games. Your assumption about the assumption seems to be wrong here. At least it is for me and probably for a few others.
    I actually love the idea of a 4th of July games when lots of people get out to see an MLS game (even if its not the main reason they're all there). Anyone who comes to the stadium is a potential fan for the future and highly attended games are generally more exciting and good for the league.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. You either consider both gimmicks or neither. We just need to be consistent.

And this is the same phenomenon I mentioned in a post above. The vast majority of the people don't even get to their seats for the MLS game until the second half because they are not really attending for the MLS game.

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this post introduces an important point.

The word "gimmick" for some people automatically has a negative connotation and then they feel like they need to defend it. But in these cases, it was not negative, it had a specific purpose.

We will never know but I like to think that some of those gimmick games introduced people to the league and they stayed as fans.

8. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20,113 tonight in Vancouver per mlssoccer.com

9. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice crowd tonight at the Whitecaps game. It took a while to fill in, but I was surprised there were not a lot more no-shows. Canucks opener was across the street vs the Penguins.

10. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    not to mention they seemed very lively from the highlights, pretty cool to see that from a team that is in dead last.

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I filled in some event details I know of for those matches, the ones blank are 7/4 fireworks, as you noted.

12. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Ruiz scores late to lift FC Dallas over Red Bulls

Critics' Choice
    Saturday, May 23, 1998:

13. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The Sounders have sold more than 55,000 tickets for Keller's last home regular season game.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9,111 in New England.

Bummer.

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36,304 in Seattle

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25,186 - NY v LA
    20,113 - VAN v RSL
    9,111 - NE v SJ
    36,304 - SEA v PHI

Great week for everything but the <10k.

18. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So the 10K+ streak ended at how many games?

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99 I believe.

20. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    An investigation of possible collusion between base ten values is in order.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Do you expect anything different at this point when you have apathetic ownership, players blaming players, players blaming supporters and a club that has barely managed to look competitive for most of the season?

22. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow! Other than the players blaming supporters.....I think you have a pretty good outline for a book....."TFC The First Five Years"

;) :)

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So....

Where does The Fort go? I haven't heard anything on the Support The Fort front for months. Has it all been washed away? If you guys still show up and YSA has been squashed, my guess is that the team and security will see it as a successful operation.

Trust me. As a member of the media I have PTSD when it comes to stadium security in the Boston area. The incident with the black professor being arrested at his own front door happened shortly after my most recent run in with stadium police in Boston, and I found myself nodding my head knowingly, and with my blood pressure skyrocketing as I followed the story.

But, where do you go from here? At what point does Kraft run off those that want to be soccer "supporters"?

He can't be blind to what is happening around the league, but he's also not got unlimited finances - I don't think Patriot Place is helping. Is he just squatting on the Boston market to keep out possible competition?

I always felt that he used the MLS team as leverage to bring in a steady stream of USSF and CONCACAF international soccer events. As the number of major soccer venues increases around the country and the ability get events into Gillette decreases, I've wondered if his interest in keeping the Revs will wane?

Those of us around since 1996 remember the crazy, random, 20/30k crowds that would show up at Foxboro Stadium. The Revs had the potential to be what the Sounders are. I was there, you were there. We both know that the market has the potential.

But right now, it's nothing short of distressing. Most of the local media coverage has disappeared, most of the fans are staying away. It just seems to be a mess.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To make things complete, we need to start getting TFC players blaming the Leafs and the Leafs blaming TFC.

EDIT: Hey, any chance we can get you to take Paul Maurice back?

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, you're currently getting a sneak preview of TFC in 10 years if things don't improve.

And no, I don't think that having a stadium at the CNE mitigates things much.