MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 30

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Oct 2, 2011.

1. If you actually read the article you would see Payne stated they've been looking for 8 years.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think DC suffered because of MacFarlane. Frankly, he was probably the best bet at the time. If Poplar Point had actually worked, DC fans would still be their insufferable selves.

As to Chang, I don't know how "small time" he is, but the problems with getting that kind of land deal done in the DC have flustered some pretty big businessmen over the years. Let's not forget why the Redskins are now in Maryland.

It's an intractable problem. DC went without MLB from the early 70s until the Expos moved to town earlier this decade. Los Angeles has been without the NFL for how long now?

I think history is going to be a bit kinder to Nick Sackiewics when people realize that he got stadium deals done in both the New York and Philadelphia metro areas. For all the on the field nightmares of the MetroStars, getting those two stadium deals has to count for something.

Right now, would you rather be a fan of Red Bulls with their stadium and horrible history or DC United with all their trophies, but potential impending relocation?

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes no sense to me.

What worked in KC will not automatically work in Boston or DC, IMO.

Every city has a litany of variables (government/ politics, availability of land, local economies, potential competitors etc.) that make it near impossible to ever accomplish "hey, just copy how they did it".

4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now I am getting ready to get on the Cross Bronx Expressway and head to see the game tonight. If relocating DCU is awarded with a spanking new stadium, why not. I am a fan of NY2 if and when it happens. For the Live soccer Fix, Harrison would do for now.:D:eek:

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll find that everyone's situation is unique (because the markets, and the specific locations, are unique).

In ours we got a great deal on essentially empty, rotting land in downtown with the hope that it'll stimulate business growth (and it has to a limited degree so far).

This was only possible because the various governments have been trying to revive downtown Houston for some time now.

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I got an email yesterday from NYRB (i got in their database when I bought tickets to a match there last year) telling me there were "lots of good seats still available" for the LAG match!

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks quite empty on TV. Not sure what the announced attendance will be.
    The hurricane definitely hurt them and the league and ESPN with this one.

8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think they were also dinged a bit by MLB playoff schedules.....there might be another sporting event taking place that has the interest of NY area sports fans tonight.....not sure on that, been many years since our baseball squad broke out the bats in October :)

9. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I posted the email I received yesterday earlier in the thread. It mentioned "a very limited amount of tickets" available.

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That does, however, look like a pretty good sized crowd! There is a patchy area in the middle of the side opposite of the cameras....but they just did a crowd shot of the upper level and one end and it looks like a well attended match.....not that I am perceiving anything attendancewise from my couch ;)

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the time he made the post.

If we have learned anything over the years is that weekday crowds take a while to fill in, usually about 15-20 minutes into the first half.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It definitely got better. And I'd also forgotten about the Yankees. Hopefully they'll just do us all a favor and get beat by Detroit.

13. njzorrooo

njzorrooo Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    25,186 in NY

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is that a stadium record?

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Slightly off topic but Seattle gets 35,615 for their Open Cup final match - beating their own Open Cup attendance record!

16. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think so. 9 people better than the Chicago number.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So yet another stadium record for a Galaxy away game. :D Which teams don't have their records against the Galaxy? I know Portland doesn't off-hand...

18. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Quakes. The attendance record for a non-doubleheader home game was set earlier this year against the NYRB: 41,028.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe both the all-time (set at Mile High) and Dick attendance record for the Rapids were set in 4th of July games against Chicago.

20. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle, set earlier this year against NYRB, likely to be bested in two weeks against San Jose.

21. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NE's non double header/non fireworks high came back in 1996, last game of the season against Columbus, 38,633.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they opening up extra seats to see how many they can sell? Is it just because its the last game? Are there any trade-ins or anything?
    On the face of it, with Seattle's playoff position in the table relatively assured by then too, it seems like a non-marquee matchup.

23. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on results before that San Jose game, they still may be in the race for the Supporters Shield.

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Keller's last regular season game. Last chance to trade vouchers.

25. Avisday1

Avisday1 Member

Feb 2, 2005
    San Antonio,TX
    No vouchers. Don't think Seattle has ever done vouchers. The San Jose game was packaged with the Man U friendly and New York. Entire stadium open for all three matches. In part, Seattle's front office has used this 3 game pack to gauge demand to see if more sections should be opened up.