MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 10

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, May 16, 2011.

1. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll have the "MENO" tifo completed in time.

2. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the anticipated apocalypse is countering the "Pause effect" that we've all come to expect.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Union score more than one goal, it will be proof of the rapture.

4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Considering there's no way we could know and likely no way we'll ever know how MLS would draw with an 82-game season, I think there's no reason to discount our current attendance figures in this way.

I'm more interested in the fact that if attendance stays around the same level, it'll be the first time (to my knowledge) we've ever beat those leagues in average attendance, which is a great thing. And, even though playing a longer season would help, hopefully some more advertisers see those attendance figures and see the potential here, too.

5. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    As I've said before, wake me when MLS passes the CFL.

6. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    [​IMG]

Passes it to who? Are they handing out free CFLs? Can I get in on that?

Wait...why is MLS distributing free lightbulbs?

1 person likes this.
  7. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Given the size of our stadiums, enjoy a nice hibernation.

As for more realistic goals, I'd be pretty happy to see us pass those two North American leagues.

8. Goot

Goot Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

The fact that the MLS needs no other events of any kind, a Saturday night game, and all the other excuses that are rolled out actually does prove that the MLS attendance would be much lower if played over an 82 game season.

A typical NBA/NHL team plays roughly 25/30 out of their 41 home games on weekday nights....typically nights when MLS fans say "oh crap don't expect a big draw it is a school night after all." I mean FRIDAY night is seen as a low drawing night in the MLS! Give me a break.

9. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    The difference in popularity is not as big as it seems, except maybe for the CFL title game which has a 98 year history. Their entire league has about 72 regular season games (funny to think 3 Canadian MLS teams will have more games than the entire CFL next year). It's not that hard to have good attendance and ratings over that few games a year. Also, when you have a 4 month season and have the luxury to start in late June you don't have to worry about games in freezing weather which is bad for walk-up sales, especially for early season games. Having only 8 teams also make me take the league less seriously. It's not too hard to have good support in only 8 markets. The more you add after that the worse it gets and the more troubled franchises you're likely to have. There's a good reason after all these years of existence CFL can't get more than $8 mil out of their expansion teams.

BTW, CFL regular season TV ratings were not too much better than MLS' for a long time. Only very recently after the change in Canadian TV ratings system that they started to pull away.

10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    ...what are you talking about?:confused:

They have their business models, we have ours. You're not going to find a single soccer league in the world that plays most their games on weekdays (unless you count CL, which is a different story altogether), so I don't think making a big deal out of the days games are played is relevant.

It's one factor in an apples-to-oranges comparison - if our average attendance beats the NHL and/or NBA, it doesn't make our league "better" or "bigger" that those other sports leagues, it just represents a nice sign of growth and hopefully a data set the league can use to help add to its financial backing down the road. There's other pieces of the puzzle (ratings, for example) that need to grow, too, before we can make any other kind of proclamation.

11. RapidRush

RapidRush Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Caldwell
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does show signs of growth that our attendance is increasing as a league. I just don't like the term, "passing" because we aren't passing anyone. It is an apples and oranges comparison.

You said there is no way to know what our attendance would be if we played 82 games because I claimed it would be lower. Therefore there is no point in comparing them in the first place. :)

I understand what you are trying to say though.

12. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That's why I never used the term "passing.":) In that sense, anyway.

I disagree that there's no point in comparing them - as long as it's recognized for what it is, instead of trying to make it apples-to-apples.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect he meant to say NBA doesn't need special events, Saturday games, or any of the other excuses tossed out for low attended MLS games to get their attendance. *shrug*

14. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Ha, I see. If that's the case, he must not be familiar with all the special event gimmicks the NBA run to get butts in seats, nor familiar with this article accusing the NBA of misreporting their % capacity stats some 17%, nor ever watched a Charlotte/Sacramento/Minnesota/Washington game. And also he finds a way to ignore that half the excuses for people not attending soccer games (weather) will never apply to the NBA.

The league has the same problems we've had, in some degree.

Anyway, since this is an MLS thread, I'm going to leave it at that.

15. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    DING DING DING. Thanks for bringing up the point that RapidStorm blithely loves to ignore when comparing MLS versus NBA or NHL attendance. It's a rather stupid comparison (like my CFL one).

16. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I think he meant, as an excuse for poor attendance, that people make the statement that there are other events siphoning fans on any given day. A better way of stating this would have been:

The fact that an MLS team needs to play on a night with no other events in town, needs a Saturday night game, etc. does provide that MLS attendance would be much lower if played...

17. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one reason why I like when there are midweek games: less down time for these kind of debates to spring up.

-

1st leg of NCC Final tonight, TFC @ Vancouver. Hopefully a good turn out.

18. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    With the Canucks playing at home in the Western Conference Finals, at the very same time as the NCC game I doubt it. Horrible luck in scheduling.

19. Goot

Goot Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

Bingo. My posting skills were not quite up to par at 3 am. ;)

20. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. In fact, one could argue that in the medium and longer term, average attendance would go up with more games in the season, say if the season had twice as many games.

One thing that drives attendance is hype and familiarity. If games were twice a week, then MLS would probably get a fairly good TV and likely to have some good national exposure. TV execs are looking for programming to fill air time. Getting more press then drives more interest and discussion. Though the initial increase in games would probably depress the average, the medium term would probably mean an increase in game sales.

Obviously all hypothetical and it means squat because players can't play twice a week over a season. However, I see no reason to think there would be a significant decrease in ticket sale per game average over the medium/longer term with more games in a season.

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It's not a point I'm ignoring - it's just not a discussion worth going into, as comparing attendances cross-sport is already so apples-to-oranges to begin with. We could go into 800 different directions about the minutia that makes the raw numbers not comparable, and waste both of our times doing so.

However, if you take the numbers for what they are, a sign of growth in MLS attendance, then it's a comparison to make. Also, from the point of view of, what's going to bring advertising dollars, and so on, to MLS: a league that is playing the number of games that it is and averaging less than those other professional sports leagues is going to look a lot less attractive proposition than a league that is in the ballpark/exceeding the average attendance numbers of those other leagues. If advertising people want to dig further into the minutia (and I'm sure they would), they can...but fact is we'd need the numbers to continue at this pace for them to even take a good hard look in the first place.

I'm not attempting to distort the numbers to say anything beyond that.

22. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    the only thing i compare is 'game experience' as a fan.
    i go to sport events only in the ny area, but i do get to a good number of mlb, nfl and nhl games, as well as mls. the size of mls crowds doesn't equal mlb or nfl, but it isn't below some nhl (or nba) crowds. the fan experience is at least comparable to certain islanders games (or, i'd guess, nets games). it doesn't match rangers games. the make-up of the crowd is also noticeably different. obviously there are far more 'ethnic' fans at mls games (in ny, this means a much wider range than just hispanic).
    the quality of the product (which triggers the fan response) imo isn't as high for mls as for the other teams i attend. i've come away more often thinking i just saw a good sporting event even from an islanders game, than i have from a rbny game.

23. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Exactly. Every now and then someone makes a comparison of MLS attendance vis a vis the NBA or NHL, and there's invariably a backlash, often even an angry backlash, of people saying "that doesn't mean MLS is more popular than the NBA or NHL!", even though I've never read anyone on these threads say higher per game attendance does mean MLS is more popular than the NHL or NBA. The reasons are obvious, and need not be elaborated on.

MLS having a higher per game attendance than the NBA or NHL means just that - it's getting more fans in the stands per game than those leagues. It doesn't mean anything more and I doubt anyone would ever claim otherwise. Nonetheless, this is a mark the league has not (to my knowledge) achieved before, it is an easy, "understandable" stat to people who follow other sports, and is kind of neat for some of us who've followed the league a long time.

24. UNIONHopeful

UNIONHopeful Member

May 31, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States