MLS Attendance Analysis: Season's End

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And China gets a massive bump in average from recently promoted Guangzhou Evergrande who leads the league in attendance at 46,111 a game. League wide attendance averages 17,947, but there is a low of 6,834 from the Chengdu Blades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Chinese_Super_League#League_Attendance

2. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhMdujZeEY&feature=feedu"]Falling In Reverse - "I'm Not A Vampire" - YouTube[/ame]

3. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    So, who here thinks that Seattle should try to break the New York Cosmos domestic average attendance record?

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    as someone who's followed the league since 1996 those numbers are amazing. More then half the teams in the league, 56% to be exact, averaged more then 17500 fans a game. Those are truly major league numbers. Never thought I'd see that day.

5. TorontoFCMelbourne

Apr 7, 2007
    J-League was pretty steady for the past few years, and this year as you say dropped significantly. Now, because of its MLS-like steadiness over the past few years, hitting a 19k high, it would seem that this years drop is linked to something. I don't know what it is, but could be a combination of economic circumstances and the disaster in Japan prior to the season start. Meanwhile, the national sides are as good as ever, with both the mens and womens teams taking out major trophies; though not even that has had a positive impact on attendances. There have to be some underlying factors here to consider with Japan because its too drastic for it to be anything less than an anomalous year.

Well, the EPL gets a bump from Uniteds figures; MLS gets a bump from Sounders figures. Surely we shouldn't pick out an outlier as a means to denigrate a good average attendance in China this year. You're right in that they may not be able to sustain it long term, but the numbers are still there.

6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Very. I mean, we did beat RSL in Salt Lake 3-0 without Grazzini, but our PPG went up both when Klopas took over as coach and again when we signed Grazzini and Pardo.

All that said, paid ticket sales were up regardless.

7. Hansadyret

Hansadyret Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Bergen, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Think we will see a big jump in Brazil, France and Russia in the coming years with all these new modern stadiums being built and planned. Will be interesting to see what the Brazilian league can do with all these new stadiums for WC 2014 and a growing national economy, they should be able to keep more of their players.

8. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting the context of why China Super league goes from sub 15k to almost 18k in one season is not denigrating China. It was bare facts that the newest promoted club goes to the top of the attendance charts. And by including the link I think you'll find they're not a substantial outlier. The bottom end was to show how wide the range is in the league. I also wanted to display the contrast of how other leagues are rising as opposed to Japan falling.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This beats the full season attendance for something like 9 teams from the NHL and 10 teams from the NBA.

10. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I believe the ave attendance is also higher than NHL and NBA!

11. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In addition to the Seattle Seahawks and many other NFL teams :D

12. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm sure the economy and the disaster have a lot to do with it, but some of the top drawing clubs haven't played well too. FC Tokyo (fourth in the league in attendance in 2010) was relegated after last year and Urawa, currently hovering just above the relegation zone this year, still leads the league in attendance but is off significantly from just two years ago (down from 44,210 to 32,634).

13. Really impressive numbers this year. Seeing how league wide the increase was it makes me think the visibilty of the league is the highest its been. It makes me think there is no better advertising for the league then having name players like Beckham and Henry in the league. Don't know if anyone ever looked at average road attendance per team but id be willing to bet LA and NY blew everyone away in this department due to those two players.

14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
  15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah beat NBA and NHL in average attendance per game.

NBA avg 17,323
    NHL avg 17,126

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with this is that the 17k number for NHL and NBA is something like 95% of their average capacity. There are several NHL and NBA teams that could go larger than their current capacity and sell it out, but can't because their arena isn't large enough..

17. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS had a 81% capacity (based on MLS listed capacity)(22,000 for NE instead of 68,000 etc,)

NHL had a 93.0% capacity.

NHL has a max avg attendance of 18476. And no room to expand if sold out.

MLS has a avg capacity of 21947. With quite a few stadiums easy to expand to get more or easily move to bigger stadium if need be to get more in.

This is why using avg attendance per game is a not a great comparison.

19. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of importance.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to get this kicked off early:

But what about the other 4k seats? When is Portland going to open those up?

:D

21. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TA section getting increase, West side is being untouched because of concourse issues. Mike Golub talks about adding seats to the southeast, maybe add seats where the beer garden is.

22. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

23. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos