MLS Attendance Analysis after 76.8% played

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Sep 10, 2007.

1. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually KC has one game each on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. All 3 of our Saturday evening games have been over 10K this year, so this next one should too. The Thursday game has over 25K sold. No idea what the Friday night game with DC will pull, hopefully we can bring in at least 10K.

2. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    I must have an old schedule. Was that game moved at some point? Mine shows that it's on Saturday October 6th. At any rate, that's looking like a sub 10k game to me. There are 3-4 spots where it could happen. We can't have any more then that to reach the goal.

3. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was changed because of a scheduling conflict with the Chiefs.

4. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially interesting when one recollects the relatively popular notion going into the current season that '07 mid-week games would be poorly attended (based on the league's previous attencance experiences with weekday games).

Is stadium attendance a leading indicator of television viewership?

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job as per usual Andy.

BTW, in regards to the Revs attendance, I'd be thoroughly surprised if they don't wind up getting around 15k at least per remaining home game. Weather will play a factor, but the past few home games, the walk-up has actually been really impressive.

It appears the Beckham 4-pack brought them out. Now they're coming out on their own.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in an amazing change of luck, an MLS plan actually worked as was hoped :)

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are 2 for 2 so far. Shame though because DC just missed the 15,000 mark by a few hundred.

Andy

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    An interesting (I hope) thing with Beckham is that "his" games are not felt much in the median attendance numbers but the huge sell-outs have a tremendous effect on teams' bottom lines because unlike the old doubleheaders, there are no other profit participants.

Furthermore, MLS has made additional money (and received a prety good pub as well) off Superliga. Hypothetically, this may have had a watering-down effect (more matches) on the median attendance.

Now, if only a few of the more boring coaches found jobs elsewhere ...

9. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it might add a lot of work, but it seems like the league tends to be around a 15K average/median. It would be interesting if you added a %>15K tally to your analysis.

10. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Yeah I know. All game I was wondering if we'd break that number. So close!!!! Really we need games to be over 15,093. Lets hope for a bunch of them this weekend.

11. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    And I think our league average is currently just barely over 16,000 as we speak.

12. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure what this teaches us that we already don't learn from the median but here this the data as you requested.

% of games over 15,000 after 76.9% played
    1996 52%
    1997 41%
    1998 32%
    1999 36%
    2000 31%
    2001 40%
    2002 37%
    2003 39%
    2004 36%
    2005 31%
    2006 38%
    2007 45%

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fun number to show just how far attendance has come is the <7500 number.

In 2000 an incredible 21% of the games were <7500. (Good god, that looks worse than I remember.)

In 2007 only 2% of the games so far have been <7500.

14. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    What teams had those under 7500 games?

15. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    What a great point. I laugh and laugh when posters freak out about 10k. We just don't have those 4k gates much anymore.

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a quick guess, Miami, Tampa Bay and Kansas City, since all three of those teams averaged below 10,000.

(can anyone explain to me why Dallas was on the chopping block back then?)

17. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory sucks but I think it may have been because they were league owned at that time.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we'll have to see with KC's temp stadium next year.

19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. That would make sense. KC and Miami were owner/operator teams, TB and Dallas were league owned. Despite that, Miami got the axe.

I sometimes wonder how things would be if the league had waited just another year or two before axing those teams.

20. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    True, although I think KC's season ticketbase doubled since the bad old days (I'm not sure how the past couple of years have affected that though), so I still think we're not going to see too many 4k nights.

21. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that Horowitz was barely an owner. Their were stories of checks bouncing, players not getting paid and him not making league cash calls.

Hard to say. Considering it was pretty drastic at the time, it was made to sound like it was either chop a couple of teams or the whole league would have gone under.

This is also the time of the rumored MLS meeting at St Phil's ranch when he got frustrated and pulled Lamar and Kraft in a back room and came up with the "put the league on mostly my back" plan to get through the dark times.

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Colorado used to have some awful crowds, as well as Chicago. Dallas and SJ had share of them as well.

Chicago was always sort of a strange market-- capable of pulling a large, knowledgeable crowd, but also capable of playing to an empty Soldier Field.

23. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 2000 season the following teams(8 out of 12) had crowds under 7500. Some of these teams were numerous times

Miami, KC, NE, TB, Chi, Colorado, Dallas, SJ

24. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    How about this year?

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't like to do much research yourself do you ;)

Assuming I did not miss any, its been only KC this year.